GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Le Agua Bandito
Year Created: 2006
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 11 X 14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I think this is done but am wondering if the horizon is too dark..... comments please....

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
any problems that I am missing????? I'm sorry this is so fuzzy! Guess I should have been on Macro... the painting is very clear.

corfublue
02-04-2006, 08:21 PM
It appears to be a little blurry....?

Constellation
02-04-2006, 08:52 PM
I know it's really fuzzy, Valerie... .guess I'd better set the camera on Macro and try another shot.....

billo
02-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Hi, Constellation! I don't see anything wrong with the horizon, and the lights and shadows on the figure seem to be skillfully executed. However, it is a pity the digital image is so out of focus. Could you post a better one (and tell us somthing about the title - just curious)?

Constellation
02-04-2006, 09:55 PM
I hope here is a little clearer photo.... guess I should learn not to mess with the settings on my camera....

Bilo.... the name, I hope, is spanish.... The Water Bandit..... the child is one of my great grandsons playing with a super size water gun in the Gulf of Mexico....

Constellation
02-04-2006, 10:11 PM
Hope it worked this time!

bocote
02-04-2006, 11:29 PM
this is a nice painting of a handsome great grandson. Generally dark objects like water get lighter as they go back, but here the day is so clear and the subject is the boy I think its not too dark. Really you could go either way, but remember to build the subject as you have already done.

Your forms seem fine and in general I dont have anything to be real critical on. The boys left swimsuit leg seems to be just a front and doesnt wrap around to the back. It might be true to the scene, but its would add a little if it kinda wrapped around the back of the leg also.

As mentioned the photo got blurred, but is there just a little tight water detail around the legs or is it the same as the rest of the water? Personally I'd like to see some detail under the boy to ground him into the scene.

Nice work.

Have fun,

Corby
02-05-2006, 01:58 AM
Just a note about the name, the only thing about a super painting that may have a small glitch in it! I dont speak spanish but, you are right about agua, it does mean water and bandito spelled with an "o" on the end is masculine, so it refers to a MALE bandit, bandita, with an "a" on the end is in the feminine gender and so refers to a female bandit. the word "the" if it is applied in the feminine is the word "la" if it is applied in the masculine it is the word "el" So you have
El Agua Bandito. I dont know about the sentence structure, it might actually be El Bandito Agua. Here in California such things become increasingly important as we have a large and growing Spanish population.

Constellation
02-05-2006, 08:42 AM
Hi Brian..... That left leg bothered me too... it's that way in the snapshot but I just may have another look at it.... I'm not "above" changing photos! I'm guessing that the trunk leg was wet and sticking together. Thanks so much for taking the time to critique for me!

Corby.... Whoops.... I got the french "le" instead of the spanish "el".... that's what I get for trying to think about two things at the same time! Thanks for your comments.... I sure do wish that picture were clearer... I'll have to work on my camera next.

Donna

Is this one any clearer??

Spyderbabe
02-05-2006, 09:04 AM
Yes - much better Donna! What I like most is the sense of being there and capturing a moment. Nice work!

Aludien
02-05-2006, 09:24 AM
I notice I can't see his red shorts wrapping around the leg on the right leg, just seems there should be a darker valued red behind it so you see a bit of the inside of the shorts.
Other than that it's magnificant, you're such a good artist! I just love his smile ;) Looks a little mischief, like he's gonna spray you! :D

vargamari
02-05-2006, 10:15 AM
I like this painting very much! You broght me to my memories, when we were travelling a lot and my son was the same age...
You captured completely the mood of this scene, with lightness and love. A joy to see.
There is no problem with the horizon.
Warm regards,

2bhappy
02-05-2006, 10:20 AM
A very happy painting and well done too! Reminds me of my son too oh so long ago...thankyou
Blair

tree519
02-05-2006, 11:35 AM
I'm going to be honest. I was excited by the first blurry image and thought that was how it was meant to be. I thought it said something about memory, childhood and blurry photos we all have in our albums but never get rid of. It was exciting. When I viewed it in focus I was disappointed. Then it was a well-executed but ordinary copy of a photo of a beloved child. It is great for your personal space but doesnt really transcend beyond that. Have you ever tried to experiment a little with different ways of painting from photos?

Constellation
02-05-2006, 05:27 PM
Hi Kathleen..... Thanks.... I'm happier too! LOL I shouldn't mess with cameras!

Nathalie.... Thanks for your critique... and I have fixed his shorts! Thanks for nudging me!!!

Vargamari... Thank You! I really appreciate your approval, this was one of those fun things! ;)

Blair... Thanks for approving.... I hope this 5 year old will enjoy it.... it was a fun day for him and he was a total demon.

tree519. Thank you for your critique and your honesty.... I appreciate it very much. I paint to please and entertain myself, once in a while I do deviate from the "copying" mode but since I enjoy doing children's portraits more than anything else I seem to revert back to that. I've been known to alter many snapshots... ;) but this was at the request of a 5 year old and I don't think he would have appreciated his great-grandmas inability to follow his instructions!

Thanks very much everyone! Donna

Rasta_PopSiCLeS
02-05-2006, 06:00 PM
This is a great piece, truly amazing..it brings a sense of presence..I feel like im at the beach and i just took a picture of a young child. Your are quite a wonderful painter!

-AnDrEW-

Constellation
02-06-2006, 08:47 AM
Hi Andrew...Thank you very much for your comment! I enjoyed doing this... I hope my pleasure shows a little..... Donna