PDA

View Full Version : Glen Nevis, Fort William

RonnieT
02-04-2006, 07:36 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/02-04-2006/70842_Glen-Nevis,-Fort-William.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/02-04-2006/70842_GN-FW_detail.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Glen Nevis, Fort William
Year Created: 2006
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 10 x 7
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is Glen Nevis, Fort William (Scotland).

Based on a photo from a pamphlet I gave this a go. My first (and main) self critique on this is my wonky middle window! Only noticed it late into painting the house so left it as is rather than try and botch a fix on it.

I've included a detailed image below the full painting.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
One question i have for you guys (and gals!) is this:
How do you go about painting a large mass of trees (like i have on the right). I started off light then added darker and darker blobs to try and get layers of trees, one on top of the other. Is this how its done? As i'm not entirely happy with my way and result...

Constellation
02-05-2006, 09:30 AM
Hi Ronnie..... I've never seen Fort William.... the building seems fine to me.... even the window.... it rather gives "character"... I'm not much of a landscape artist but your mountains and river seem unreal to me. I've never seen such "perfect" mountains" and "ripples" on a river and I think that some other colors interspersed into the forest may help... or softening some of the edges on the trees and not doing them individually.. It's a very pleasant setting and a very enjoyable painting..... Donna

Grunge
02-05-2006, 04:26 PM
you could try a sea sponge for nice tree textures. working wet on dry, dip a corner of your sponge (you can generally find them at the hardward store in the wallpaper and paint area) in your paint and then tamp it a bit on a paper towel. then stamp ramdomly on the painting. you can work in multiple colours to create volume. In this case where your paining is well established, I don't think I would introduce this technique. But on future pieces....

there is also a wonderful class in the watercolour learning center that covers this sort of thing using splatter technique. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3741279

Beautiful painting, by the way. You've really done a wonderful job. It took me a long time to see why you didn't like your window. Once I spotted it...oops. What can you do.

You've really got great reflections going in the water...the sky is perfect. You've got your receeding values down to a T. Great job!!!

I would just like to see you go a wee bit darker with the building (maybe a rusty glaze).

Awesome job!!!

Rasta_PopSiCLeS
02-05-2006, 06:01 PM
T. This is an awesome painting, its very seren and brings about a peaceful sense. Way Neat!

chammi kaiser
02-07-2006, 03:59 AM
I rather like this painting. It has a delicacy which I always look for in watercolours. Nothing you can do about the window now. Just leave it and enjoy its slight 'wonkiness'. Wet in wet trees work for me. Allow the dark colours to run into the light (from the bottom to the top) and you get a sense of distance. Keep painting. I look forward to seeing more of your work. Chammi.