GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: School
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 35x27cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
A piece done only with a palette knife and my fingers and maybe a brush on the watery-white (can't remember). I got the inspiration when I thought about a teacher I have, that's such a special person. She is surely one that deserves a huge prize for her work. But even so I wanted to sort of illustrate that even if no one else is listening, I am. (I would be the wake and alert one by the window.)
Not entierly true though, since everybody absolutely loves her classes ;)
This was done a year ago and I'm doing a similar technical piece at the moment, and from this I've learned that white is not really the way to go, it just doesn't look luminated.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
What techniques/colors can I use to get the glow around a window, for example? I've used very little white and a lot of water and smeared it around the windows and on some of the people as well. Should I just mix some yellow into the wall's colors and paint a thick layer?

Constellation
02-04-2006, 03:52 PM
Hi Nathalie.... Actually, I think your windows are about as bright as you are going to get them.... try giving the students more hi-lites on the window side and more shadow on the left..... This is a very neat painting! Donna

Aludien
02-04-2006, 04:09 PM
thank you Donna :) I don't want the windows themselves to be brighter, but I mean the walls just around them, the edge between the light and the brown wall and a bit more.

Corby
02-04-2006, 04:34 PM
Hi Aludien. Your painting rings a bell with me! (sorry bout that) it has the feel of some of the one room schools I attended as a youngster! About your window problem. The basic unbreakable rule about light is that in order to achieve it in a painting it must shine in the darkness. In other words you can add all the white you want to in another pale color and it will not shine. Put white over a dark color and it will jump out as light. I very much like your black and white approach to this painting. You could enliven it somewhat and enhance your light by adding the smallest touch of Naples yellow or for a warmer tone Yellow Ochre to your white...just a touch. Then darken those walls and bring the dark not quite up to the windows edge. Before you paint the windows in with your pure clean light, paint along that gap you left around the window and gradually and smoothly blend it out with your dark wall so there is a transition without a hard line. Then paint your window in. The window outline nearest you (in front of the flow of light) should be hard edged. The far side of the window should be blended into the walls edge as you did on the perimeter.... you have a nice example of this that you did in your watercolor of the nude bathers. The mothers form is washed away and glows where the light streams on it. But the line and form is quite plain on the side that does not recieve the flow of light... hope this makes sense and is helpfull.

Dhuot
02-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Nathalie, this is "oh so" beautiful as is, for me .
It has very good qualities that reminds me of some works by Honoré Daumier (i.e; The omnibus serie)
I really like it, and for the windows , and I think they are way fine
I like your website and the fotos section is great, in particular the one "Rrestaurang"
:clap:

corfublue
02-04-2006, 09:16 PM
Your compositions are SO STONG and unique, it must be the pictures you take that help.
I am realy glad you are posting here.
Don't ever loose that Free brushwork and line work you do.
Fresh.
Valerie

corfublue
02-04-2006, 09:20 PM
Oh...your question!,
well I like it as is,
But nothing should ever be precious,
So you could always try to push another colour on top,
But you could also scrape some off, and then get a bigger brush out,
or dilute some paint with lots of meduim for a glaze effect?
Just make sure you play with the paint.
Valerie

bocote
02-04-2006, 11:33 PM
I generally add any primary or secondary color to white to add light to it. If you choose the complement of the rest of the painting it'll appear brighter than normal white. just a little though.

Nice work and great story.

Have fun

JustinC
02-05-2006, 04:35 AM
I'd focus on the value relationship of the windows and the wall on the right...pushing the value darker on the walls will make the windows feel brighter. You have a great effect going on as it is however.

Aludien
02-05-2006, 05:46 AM
Thanks for your replies! :)

Corvus, thank you so much for the elaboration, and example with my watercolor piece, I understand what you're getting at.
You and Justin really helped me there, I was so focused on the LIGHT part that I neglected the darker values. Really good lesson taught there, thank you both :)

Bocote, your suggestion along with the darker values should get me to get it more luminating, thank you!

And Dhuot and Valerie, thank you so much for the kind words! Always like when people visit my website, I'm sorry that I haven't added in an English version yet! :D
Great advice, thanks a lot, this will surely help me with the piece I'm working on at the moment.

dornberg
02-05-2006, 08:27 AM
a lot of reality and life

Aludien
02-05-2006, 09:15 AM
thank you dornberg :)