Year Created: 2006
Medium: Other
Surface: Other
Dimension: 12 X 12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is entirely painted in encaustic on linoleum

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I know what I felt when I did this but I am not sure what to name it. I have an interest in abstraction as I think it appears easy to do, but in my opinion, is one of the most difficult to do well.

Any comment is welcome and any suggestions for naming are most welcome.

Constellation
02-04-2006, 08:54 AM
Hi Zap.....I never know what to say about abstracts...I seldom understand them since I'm such a totally realistic person and I don't know where you were coming from when you did this. To me, it's almost unnerving... like a huge open wound and there seems to be a very mournful little pair of eyes peering out at me. I hope all of that red means that you were in a very happy frame of mind when you did this....this is not a painting I could live with although someone else may see something totally different.... it just reminds me of "Great Inner Turmoil"..... ;) Donna

Toadie
02-04-2006, 09:25 AM
I also do not know what to saw about abstacts, now the first inpression was return to the wonb. Its a nice work and it has depth!

billo
02-04-2006, 12:13 PM
I have an interest in abstraction as I think it appears easy to do, but in my opinion, is one of the most difficult to do well.
I couldn't agree more. A few years ago, I tried something 'abstract', in the search for something 'quick' and of big effect. I come up with a thing so messy, muddy and awful that I had to through it away.
It was an instructive experience, though. I learnt how much reaserch and experimenting with materials and colors lies behind this things that may look 'easy'. And that the easier they look, the more difficult they are.
I like your 'easy' thing!;)
As for the title, I can't help. To me, sometimes it is important as the painting itself, and very difficult to find!

gigih
02-04-2006, 12:19 PM
I like it a lot. as far as a title goes, you said you know how you felt when you were painting it, wouldn't that be a good title, abstracts are supposed to be a way of painting our emotions aren't they?

Zap
02-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Constellation: You are right. This would be difficult to live with daily....it is a painting about heavy turmoil, about dark secrets

Thank you everyone for your comments. I really appreciate any help or comment i get regarding my work. Im learning, growing and enjoying the journey.

I did come up with a title. I have a poem that goes with this and the last lines are: "See, I have these secrets inside my dark. I want them to be not secret; not dark"

So I decided to call the painting "Inside My Dark"

It is mostly about the heavyness that comes with keeping secrets....especially the dark ones.

Corby
02-04-2006, 01:26 PM
I see an image of the male organ, it looks to be in a state of decay...an unsettling image.

Zap
02-04-2006, 01:36 PM
Oh my Corvus! I feel I must apologize now.... LOL.......but I will never look at this painting the same way again. It is rather an unsettling image though. I agree.

Nayana
02-04-2006, 02:07 PM
there seems to be a lot of good texture happening in this, almost looks like a cut out from a tree or a fungus or something. The composition is very good, a circular feel that leads the eye around the canvas, I'd sort of like to see more texture areas like the upper right side but other then that its very interesting and could make a good decorative piece.

vargamari
02-04-2006, 03:02 PM
It has high drama, very organic, almost scary. It is so expressful, I love it!
It is the one of your most honest painting. Keep them coming...

Hugs,
Mari

Aludien
02-04-2006, 03:07 PM
Well, seems no one else has said it but I see a little brown teddybear with a white nuzzle area, brown nose and a little red eye.

itsajem
02-04-2006, 06:26 PM
I'm not sure I've ever seen anything so compelling, I love this so much. I would happily spend hours of joy filled life enjoying it. My only wish is that it was huge maybe 5'x5' and...mine!

Corby
02-04-2006, 06:36 PM
No apology necessary...but I AM glad I'm not the only one sees the image..heehee...would make me wonder...that is the thing about abstracts, to some degree their interpretation reflects the viewer. If the viewer is honest enough to admit it. This is a very malleable image. I can indeed see the very first old scruffy teddy bear I ever had!

dornberg
02-05-2006, 08:31 AM
richness and depth