PDA

View Full Version : Critique needed for Portfolio Presentation

worksofhands
02-03-2006, 07:42 PM
Hi everyone!
I am almost finished with my portfolio. The presentation will be next week for a university here in Berlin and in March for another arts school.
If my portfolio gets accepted, I will join the others for a series of talent test starting immediately the next day.

I am asking for a favor. I need feedbacks. Please check my drawings and paintings. Sorry for the link and the smaller photos.
http://community.webshots.com/album/547069983KjXjCH

The photos can be viewed in full size.

Thank you!
Vincent

Axl
02-04-2006, 02:40 AM
Why aren't you including some (more) of your lovely oil pastel pieces??? Sorry I got browsing through the rest of your galleries after checking out your portfolio, and after seeing those it made me wonder. You have some lovely drawings here, but I think they would love to see more coloured works, expecially ones like in your pastel gallery - they are quite lovely and I think some of them (like the stuffed animals and the flowers) show that you have really nice use of colour and tone.

??

Lastly, the only thing that seamed off to me also is that in the second picture, the top 2 drawings didnt seam to be up to the same quality as the rest of the works in your portfolio. The plant feels incomplete, and the portrait doesnt seam to be up to par with some of the other ones you have on your site (the beautiful sienna girl you are submitting, and in gallery 8, many of those including George 19 my personal favourite).

Your life drawing images are absolutely lovely, I really enjoy looking at your work. And I appologize if this post was more on the *critique* side of things. You have a good eye and show that you have good skills, yet lots of potential - whatever you do you will go far!

Good luck!

Keith Russell
02-04-2006, 12:14 PM
I agree with Anne's advice. Your work shows great potential, but my experience has been that colleges want to see a selection of work that is 'targeted' towards a specific degree/area of study.

When I applied to the painting department at the Kansas City Art Institute two years ago (I'm finishing my juniour semester right now), they asked for 12 - 20 paintings, 8 - 10 finished figure drawings, and 8 - 10 photographs.

Your link opens up a page that only has two paintings, several quick figure studies, some still life drawings, and a couple pencil portraits.

Without knowing which specific major (painting, graphic design, etc.) you plan to study, it's difficult to say whether this portfolio is complete enough. (For a painting major, for example, I think you need to include at least ten more paintings...)

Keith.

PS This is Cheryl, Keith's wife. I looked at your portfolio with Keith. I loved the motion in your figure drawings and you do well at capturing facial expressions. There were a couple still life drawings that seemed very imaginative to me - the frog, and the hand holding the nut - but where are you taking them? My favorite pieces were the paintings of the chickens. The colors were great and the facial expressions amazing.

I enjoyed seeing your work, but a lot of it seems to need furthur developement into complete work.

Best wishes to you!
Cheryl

worksofhands
02-04-2006, 09:02 PM
Thank you so much for the feedbacks.
I am applying for painting. I know, I have to be painting more. I am working on a couple more paintings.
About the oil pastels, I thought they are very old. I made them 5 years or so ago in one of my workshops. But I think I will look for it and include it.
I do agree, that the examiners will want to see more colors.
About the portraits, they are usually commissioned and I scanned the photocopies of them to share in my webshots album. The George and Julia are also my favorites.
I also agree that my portfolio should show a "direction" or maturing style, unfortunately, I donīt seem to show any specific direction yet. I may not be prepared at all. I do like portraits and figures, in the classical traditional interpretations. But the university, I heard, have modernist professors.
So I am really getting confused what should I present. I really want to have more traditional paintings. But I guess, it will not be a good idea. The examiners might want more abstractions, which I have not explored.

I have been to the library today to view art books, hoping I would get some inspirations and ideas. Anyone familiar with Hundertwasser? I love his choice of colors and compositions.

Cheryl, I know that about "finishing". I seem not to understand how to finish something. I do love the sketchy unfinished look. I guess, I am too immature yet. I do not know the message I want to project in painting, and that shows in my studies. I promise, I will work hard tomorrow.

Any more suggestions, I would really appreciate it. Thank you both of you!

Keith Russell
02-05-2006, 12:27 AM
I am applying for painting. I know, I have to be painting more. I am working on a couple more paintings.

I also agree that my portfolio should show a "direction" or maturing style, unfortunately, I donīt seem to show any specific direction yet. I may not be prepared at all. I do like portraits and figures, in the classical traditional interpretations. But the university, I heard, have modernist professors.
So I am really getting confused what should I present. I really want to have more traditional paintings. But I guess, it will not be a good idea. The examiners might want more abstractions, which I have not explored.

At KCAI, they have two painting tracks; one emphasizes 'realism' (in a very broad sense), the other emphasizes 'abstraction' (again, in a very broad sense).

If you already have a school picked out, it wouldn't hurt to visit, tour their department, and see what kind of work their students are doing. (Also, what kind of work the instructors are doing.)

I hope you'll find that all kinds of work are welcome.

You should still present the stuff that really interests you the most. That will be the most 'sincere' work; anything you do becuase you want to impress someone else, will come across as insincere.

I have been to the library today to view art books, hoping I would get some inspirations and ideas. Anyone familiar with Hundertwasser? I love his choice of colors and compositions.

Cheryl, I know that about "finishing". I seem not to understand how to finish something. I do love the sketchy unfinished look. I guess, I am too immature yet. I do not know the message I want to project in painting, and that shows in my studies. I promise, I will work hard tomorrow.

There's nothing wrong with a sketchy look, but many of your drawings looked like studies for more involved (not 'finished' as in 'slick') works, whether paintings or drawings.

Keith.

worksofhands
02-05-2006, 08:43 AM
thank you Keith! I will keep in mind. I sometimes forget that Arts is a personal thing. And I will try to start focusing on finished paintings, which I have never thought of.
I was in the Arts Department yesterday and saw a bit of their works. They are really more of experiments with paints, but are going the traditional direction, which means I could still recognize objects being represented, in comparison to abstractions, where I canīt tell what the artist painted other than his personal emotions or thoughts.
I tried last night but failed to make one. I was just mental blocked the whole time. No energy or inspiration coming and flowing at all. I still have time this whole afternoon til night. Hope something good comes up.

Thank you for the feedback.
Vincent

jimmysdevoted
02-06-2006, 12:42 AM
As a mom and an artist I have been looking at my own daughters portfolio. She is begining at AI online for game art. And she is working on her required pieces.
First I have to tell you I just fell in love wiht the soft pastel color work. It reminds me of baby blankets of flannel.
Since I do not know what your admissions counselor at your college suggested that you focus on, I can only add this.. add More.
Each piece shows a definite growth in technique and ability.
Since schools are different all over the world and they have different criteria, I think its a bad idea for us to equate what the school here requires versus what is open for other countries. I had a professor who studied here in the US and in Italy. She explained that the Italian schools were very different in they were looking potential to groom rather than what is perfected.
She has taken that idea to her own students.
The collection is within portrait scope, perhaps branching out into say a washed color over pencil like a japanese painting could create a way to show you can do something historic . Maybe something in outsider art just to show more ideas.

Otherwise your portfolio is wonderful. Please keep us abreast of what is happening!

julie

worksofhands
02-06-2006, 03:01 AM
Thank you for the tip Julie!
I took the 2nd page off, added 4 more pages, one of which is a new painting. I tried to paint some more. But I got a terrible headache after that last one. It took a lot of energy from me, I guess. I am editing the photos just now.

If i pass this presentation, I will qualify for the talent test tomorrow until thursday. The results will be posted tonight at 9pm.

Yes, the schools here do require a different criteria. They wanted to see more emotions, more "self". But my argument is, what does a teenager know about life and the "self"? I am not a teenager anymore, but most applicants are. I guess, that is why, many donīt make it to art universities. Most of them go to design school, because one can make beautiful concepts.
If I donīt qualify, I have another talent test next month in a design school.

I will keep you guys posted later tonight.
Vincent

worksofhands
02-06-2006, 08:31 PM
Hi everyone! The presentation of portfolios was finished. I did NOT make it to the talent test.
There must have been around 400 portfolios which were checked during the half day starting afternoon. The result was posted at 9pm. There were only around 60 who qualified for the live talent test.
I will get my portfolio back tomorrow. I hope to get to see the works of other applicants. But it is snowing hard. I guess everyone will want to go home immediately.
I am still not giving up painting. I am just starting and I am looking forward for a year of discovering and exploring my talents and developing them.
Thank you guys for helping me out.

Vincent

Axl
02-07-2006, 01:32 AM
Ohhh no, hun! Well atleast you tried, and atleast you got your work seen! Will they be giving you any critical feedback in regards to your portfolio? It would be handy to know how they felt about things regardless.

I'm glad that you are not giving up hope - and why should you?! The art world is a tricky land of rejection and "failior" but we learn something each time and make it better next time! We can't win them all, eh?

Well, does this mean you will be sending off your portfolio to apply to several other art schools in march? What is your game plan from here? Perhaps we can help motivate you to continue developing your portfolio - I think you have great beginnings here, it would be exciting to see where you can take it. We're here to support you in whatever you decide to do :)

worksofhands
02-07-2006, 02:05 PM
Hi Anne! I picked up my portfolio today. And learned from a senior student, that there were actually 26 who got chosen from more than 300 applicants. A couple of applicants who also didnīt make it, asked her for tips. And she said, "intensity. there is no exact recipe. One applicant sent "almost perfect" portraits and paintings, but it is no guarantee." It sounds a lot like my portfolio. Coz when we moved about the rooms and see the qualified applicants, I can tell that I would really not get picked with my style and taste. Their color mixtures are weird and there are so much violence or a psycho thing going on on their canvases, which is not me. I want to see more positive things painted, like world peace, peace of mind, family, the ideal. those messages. And not violence, chaos, anarchy and other selfish things. I guess I want to be more of an ambassador. I am sure if there will be any one who will disagree with me, there are people who will agree. These people matters more to me, than those who will try to put me down.

Anyway, I just got even more excited about what I really want to do in the next months,and the experience made it clear to me, what kind of paintings I do want to paint.
I immediately started searching online for german masters, but there seems to be none. So I am going back to focusing on applying to my ultimate dream school: classical private ateliers with living masters.
That means a lot of work for me. I need to start a super duper good portfolio of copies of masterworks, finished figures, still life and landscapes paintings in all mediums.

Since I couldnīt find a german artist who can teach me what I need to know, I am reading a lot online and visiting tutorials, which I find to be of same value as live tutorials. I need to know more about the "real" (not super cheap ones!) materials and how to use them, know more about the different painting mediums, at the same time learn more about art history starting with my favorite old masters.

I am so glad to discover wetcanvas.com and ARC.org. I have always felt isolated. I was starting to give up my interest in classical painting, because I thought I should "do what the Romans do, since I am in Rome". People are so brain-washed to think "modern". Reminds me of the Emperorīs new clothes. Itīs like everybody is saying, "A genius!" while I am thinking, "But it is ugly. I would never hang that up on my apartment." I thought I was not being cool. But those who do not like my works are usually only people who are in the arts world, those who are already "art-ed". People from other walks of life always express their appreciation of my style.
I have known fans of Anime art (I think they are also art), fantasy art, botanicals or whatever, and I know that getting support from other fans encourages them to continue what they are doing.
Anyway, I now have the support I needed (though indirectly).I know now I am not being out-dated, kitschy or old-fashioned just because I like the classical or traditional way of painting.

So my first project will be to copy Vermeerīs The Lady and the milkjug (was it the title?) I was in Rijks Museum last year and bought a souvenir. The plastic bag has Vermeerīs painting on it. It is the only large painting of it I have. I will also go online and borrow books from the library for references.
I will also try to browse through wetcanvas if there are already such projects.
Am I doing fine?

Vincent

tinytim59
02-08-2006, 11:52 AM
I am just coming to the end of my Fine Art degree here in the UK... I made the mistake of showing broad cross section of my work in my portfolio (which included a couple of screen prints) this almost got me dumped in to printmaking. Printmaking is not where I wanted to be. I agree with an earlier poster that focus is essential if you decide to apply elsewhere. Your work is nice and you clearly have talent. I am sorry you didn't make the cut on this occasion. Don't give up though.

goldenruhl
02-08-2006, 10:23 PM
Thank you for the tip Julie!
I took the 2nd page off, added 4 more pages, one of which is a new painting. I tried to paint some more. But I got a terrible headache after that last one. It took a lot of energy from me, I guess. I am editing the photos just now.

If i pass this presentation, I will qualify for the talent test tomorrow until thursday. The results will be posted tonight at 9pm.

Yes, the schools here do require a different criteria. They wanted to see more emotions, more "self". But my argument is, what does a teenager know about life and the "self"? I am not a teenager anymore, but most applicants are. I guess, that is why, many donīt make it to art universities. Most of them go to design school, because one can make beautiful concepts.
If I donīt qualify, I have another talent test next month in a design school.

I will keep you guys posted later tonight.
Vincent
what the instructor ment by "self" was not necessarily yourself but what you see. What is beautiful to you? What is ugly,terrible. Someone once said "Art is making others see what you see and feel". The difference between a good potrait painter and a great potrait painter is what they reveal about the person they paint. Sadness in the eyes,smugness,nervousness,a secret? Show me what you see is what they ment.

worksofhands
02-09-2006, 09:15 AM
Obviously, they are biased. What is beautiful to me is apparently not beautiful for them. They donīt like how I interpret things. How I see things is not how they see things. And they naturally will be biased. My philosophy is not their philosophy. If I pretend to have the same philosophy as they have, that would be lying not only to them, but to myself too.
A german workshop teacher told me, that focus on the human figure and portraits are all over. He even commented once about my sketches, "I think I saw that one already in old art books." I didnīt copy it. But my strokes show influences of my favorite masters.
I revisited the schoolīs website and see the works posted there. Their works look the same "troubled" psycho paintings, which tells me, the school accept only students with the same direction as german expressionism. Sort of a system among universities, teachers, gallerists and students to block out students who shows the classical choice in their works. There is absolutely no school for me here. I have been searching and researching online, asking people and advisers.
Studying abroad is very expensive, but it seems the only way. Italy, USA, Russia (dangerous?) or China (have to learn chinese language?)
I am looking for schools which at least accept students from both styles, the traditional and modern, with teachers from both schools. Seems like, it doesnīt exist (imagine the debates?)

Right now, I am looking for online tutorials. I will prepare another portfolio for classical ateliers next year, after saving money for tuition fees. I really think I need to prepare a lot.
Is there a thread for preparing a portfolio, to a classical atelier (academic style)?

Vincent

goldenruhl
02-09-2006, 08:03 PM
Obviously, they are biased. What is beautiful to me is apparently not beautiful for them. They donīt like how I interpret things. How I see things is not how they see things. And they naturally will be biased. My philosophy is not their philosophy. If I pretend to have the same philosophy as they have, that would be lying not only to them, but to myself too.
A german workshop teacher told me, that focus on the human figure and portraits are all over. He even commented once about my sketches, "I think I saw that one already in old art books." I didnīt copy it. But my strokes show influences of my favorite masters.
I revisited the schoolīs website and see the works posted there. Their works look the same "troubled" psycho paintings, which tells me, the school accept only students with the same direction as german expressionism. Sort of a system among universities, teachers, gallerists and students to block out students who shows the classical choice in their works. There is absolutely no school for me here. I have been searching and researching online, asking people and advisers.
Studying abroad is very expensive, but it seems the only way. Italy, USA, Russia (dangerous?) or China (have to learn chinese language?)
I am looking for schools which at least accept students from both styles, the traditional and modern, with teachers from both schools. Seems like, it doesnīt exist (imagine the debates?)

Right now, I am looking for online tutorials. I will prepare another portfolio for classical ateliers next year, after saving money for tuition fees. I really think I need to prepare a lot.
Is there a thread for preparing a portfolio, to a classical atelier (academic style)?

Vincent
Try Academy of Art University -San Francisco. They offer fine arts degrees and are one of the best fine art schools in US. They have Examples of student work and portfolios. They also offer accredited degrees online but boy is it an expensive school.

lost4words
02-11-2006, 11:32 AM
Sorry to be late.
Your work is of a very high standard in my opinion and I know you will do well in the future. Just stay positive and you will be fine :-)

worksofhands
02-12-2006, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the tip, goldenruhl.
I will visit their website and see their works.
I donīt have any relatives nor friends in the US, who can help with my board and lodging, in case I decide to study there.

Thanks for the encouragement, lost4words. I am doing a lot of research and have been studying portraiture of old masters and new masters. I am learning a lot. I might also visit the National Gallery on their free entrance day. They have original paintings from religious arts to Vermeer to Ruebens to Rembrandt to Tizian. I was there once but 4 free hours were not enough to study all the beautiful and large masterpieces. I love the Dutch still lifes the most. I really think visiting the museums are the best. I prepare myself by reading a bit from books.

goldenruhl
02-16-2006, 12:57 AM
You don't have to leave home. The University offers their degrees online as well as on campus. You have to be dedicated to study online though,no one standing over your sholder making sure you do your work. I don't know about international sudents online. I know people in US can recieve degree online mailing in assignments.

worksofhands
02-18-2006, 09:31 PM
Is that so? you mean e-mailing or mailing through the post? that would be very expensive. europe is on the other side of the earth from the US.
But it is very nice to know that such concepts of art education exist at all. That is another reason to fullfill oneīs dream of getting an arts degree. I still have to consume all of the possibilities here first. Meanwhile, I continue with my self-study.

pinktank
02-25-2006, 07:15 PM
I think you'll definitely get in wherever you apply