Dimension: 10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
PAINTING OF A FRIENDS DOG

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
DO i NEED A BACKGROUND

2bhappy
02-02-2006, 10:58 AM
I don't think a background is needed. It works fine to me as is.Nice work!

Constellation
02-02-2006, 12:04 PM
Hi again Helen!.... This is really nice.... it definitely has the look of those pleasant intelligent dogs! I guess the only thing that seems strange to me is the shortness of his nose.... and I know how difficult black-- black-- black can be to give depth... but would a bluish hi-light extend his muzzle a little... I'm not sure... but it seems too short.... and maybe brighten up the tongue a little? I really do think it's great as is and beautifully done. Your friend should love it!..... I do! Donna

LarrySeiler
02-02-2006, 06:18 PM
Nice work so far Helen...
here's one I did for a duck stamp competition some time ago..
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=441075&postcount=16

its part of a larger thread on creating atmosphere for your animal portraits, and if you check that out (In my partner forum in one of the sticky links) it will give you ideas how to use color to suggest surrounding atmosphere which comes in handy with vignette type illustrations/works as this.

A spot of highlight in the eyes, and then warm up and lighten the opposite side of the iris a bit more will make the eyes really pop. When you look at my example, note how that brings the eyes to life...and it is the eyes that transfers a sense of personality.

Also...you might want to soften the edges of more rounded contours just a bit to give that feeling of going back into space. Having sharp edges on rounded contours gives that pasted in decal look which isn't conducive to the illusion of depth.

keep it up!

Lobster Alla Prima
02-02-2006, 08:52 PM
What a superb specimen. I love the way you brought out the shine in the coat. At first glance I didn't see anything amiss. It was only after reading the other posts that I noticed the short nose. Also maybe the fur on the right side of its face may be a little too beard-like, and the teeth seem a little too recessed from the gums. BUT, they're subtleties. I'm sure the friend will love this. I'm really very impressed.

Zap
02-02-2006, 09:16 PM
Superb work.

kathryngail
02-05-2006, 02:04 PM
I agree, you have done a beautiful job on this. You asked about the background. I think I'd be tempted to warm it up. Perhaps with some of the amber from the eyes. But it is hard to say... You could use the trick of putting pieces of different coloured construction paper next to the head and see how they look.
Cheers,
Gail

bocote
02-05-2006, 02:33 PM
great portrait. I agree with adding just a little to the background, but its my opinion. One could leave it as is and it'll be just as well received.
have fun,

tree519
02-05-2006, 09:07 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2006/46386-47959_black_lab.jpg I agree with Kathryngail. How about this kind of amber color?(i am going to try to attach a digital alteration here....)

Corby
02-05-2006, 11:49 PM
I think the colored background if used should not be so solid and opaque, some translucence would be good. However that might negate the only reason I see for adding a background. If the background as it is now cannot be cleaned of smudges and prints and not abrade the surface, then the colored background would be a good idea. Nice painting of a nice good natured dog!