PDA

View Full Version : Conte Crayons and soft pastels

binkie
02-02-2006, 01:39 AM
I know that Conte crayons are hard and waxie, but can they be used with soft pastels such as Rembrandts or softer ones - Perhaps in the first layer?

Thanks
binkie

Khadres
02-02-2006, 03:37 AM
I don't know, to tell you the truth...but best way to find out is to try it out! Would be interesting to know. Since I don't have any of the crayons any more, I'll await your experiment results! :D

eutherpendragon
02-02-2006, 10:12 AM
I use conte crayons extensively, and while they are very similar to a hard pastel, I definitely would not characterize them as being "waxy". In fact, there is no mineral oil or wax in their composition to cause them to have that property.

As I mentioned, they are very similar to a hard pastel, with the exception being that they are smoother (I believe due to clay in the make up of the stick). I have used them many times under layers of soft pastel.

I have also heard of other artists using both conte/charcoal combinations and conte/soft pastel combinations in their work.

- Ann

dlake
02-02-2006, 10:47 AM
Ann,
You just answered the very same question I have had recently as Binkie. I see them and wonder....
thanks
diane

DrBrad
02-02-2006, 10:59 AM
From my limited experience and experiments they work well together. Charcoal too.

bluemanjacob
02-02-2006, 03:25 PM
Hi, binkie and all. I've been looking at Dennis Frosts' book Capturing Personality in Pastel and He uses the Conte Crayon for his flesh tones. The sanguine or bistro depending on race. Along with other pastels. I have been playing with them and they do work well together. I did find out that if you use the # 276 nupastel and the sanguine together it kind of looks like, to me, the old commercial style of flesh from the '50s ads. lol :)
Jacob

khourianya
02-02-2006, 05:21 PM
I use them together all the time. They are great for details and edging.

binkie
02-02-2006, 05:57 PM
Thanks so much everyone!!!! Maybe I'll be able to get a sharper edge with them.

binkie