PDA

View Full Version : My first website

crsann
02-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Could you all take a look at my new site. I'm not very website builder savy and it is doing some weird things, like slow to load and pics are acting weird when you change from one to another. Am going to get a logo eventually and use it on the site. Any comments are very welcome. Thanks
chrisann
http://theglasswebb.com/

KetchikanSculptor
02-02-2006, 01:36 AM
Well... I just got through looking at your web site.... looks like a great start to me.

ValorieCox
02-02-2006, 11:41 AM
Chris, the photos look great and the glass work fantastic! The type style seemed odd to me, perhaps my computer, but it looked very primitive, almost typewritter style--not the most readable. Also long bands of text that make it hard to read. More photos, less text! A great start, fine tune it a little along the way. :) Val

rosebead
02-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Hmmm the text looks fine on my Mac when I browse in Safari, but if I switch to mozilla/firefox the text looks like typewriter style.

lavendar420
02-02-2006, 01:32 PM
whoops i posted in the wrong place! here goes again:

one suggestion is that allowing your text to fill the whole screen makes it harder to read. if you wrap the main text blocks on each page with either a table or div & limit the width to 600 (or whatever you like) it makes it more readable, and tends to look nicer with "white space" on each side.

the font you're using (lucinda console) isn't on all computers. you can specify a back up font, either by name or just sans-serif. also, most websites use verdana or arial, so people are more used to seeing those fonts & they tend to look more readable & professional.

BugabooBeads
02-02-2006, 04:24 PM
Great start! I agree more photos less text. People generally tend to skim websites and if they don't see what they want right away they close it. What program are you using?

crsann
02-03-2006, 12:24 AM
Thanks you guys I'll keep plugging away. Have made a couple of changes already. Will look into another font. Val as soon as I get some better pictures I will load her up LOL.
Lavender, I'm using front page 2003 and I don't know how to do what you are describing but I will get my books out and see if I can find out how.
Thanks everyone, I'm working for the next few days so won't get to it till the begining of next week maybe.
chrisann

Jo Castillo
02-03-2006, 12:38 AM
You are off to a great start. Since I have high speed, I'm not sure about the photos loading slowly. You should put them up at 72dpi, that is about what most browsers pick up. Larger files don't improve the look on the different screens and browsers.

Keep it simple like everyone says. And also use a common font. Use JPEG for your logo and pics.

You're looking good.

Later,
Jo

BugabooBeads
02-03-2006, 06:08 PM
The new font looks great!