PDA

View Full Version : Must be Newbie Season!

Tracy Lang
02-01-2006, 10:58 PM
Just wanted to jump in and say hello and THANKS! I've spent alot of time reading through threads both before and since I joined and have already learned so much! I'm excited to become a part of this terrific community.

I started working with pastels in December and am already quite the addict. (figures i'd fall in love with one of the more expensive media lol)

I got started in digital art (Photoshop and Painter) a few years ago. That led me to want to relearn how to draw with a pencil and paper...which led me to learning to paint. I've mostly done acrylics and dabbled with a bit of watercolor, but really feel like I found my THING when i picked up my first Rembrandt!

Anyway, it's great to be here and post something :wave:

Tracy

dlake
02-01-2006, 11:15 PM
Tracy, I joined about a month ago.
I painted with acrylics and some watercolor but, have been addicted to pastels for about a year. I feel like we are in a 12 step program
Hi. My name is Diane and I'm a pastel addict. Been addicted for .......
lol
You are going to love being here and meeting everyone.
And don't be shy. Just jump right in and you'll make friends fast.
I'm so glad to meet you.
Diane

pxlwzrd
02-02-2006, 02:41 AM
Hello and welcome fellow Newbie!

I just joined a couple of days ago, and I think I'm learning something with every thread I read. I'd love to have a couple of uninterupted days just going through the Pastel Library:) .

So, Tracy, do you use Photoshop for your preliminary work? Since I usually work from photos, I like to set up my composition in Photoshop, and then print out an nice 8.5x11 reference photo in color, and in black & white.

RJ

Khadres
02-02-2006, 03:27 AM
For some reason the first of the year seems to be Newbie Season around here! I joined two years ago in January myself and think it was just the product of having discovered pastels and being desperate to "talk" to someone who knew what they were doing with them! Luckily a fellow WCer found me on another, less active website and suggested Wet Canvas. Doesn't take more than a good look around to become a make the place a habit, does it?

Glad to see you here, Tracy! Jump in and join the crew...everyone here is like family and eager to help and share with you the fun of pastelling! Welcome! Welcome and have fun!

dlake
02-02-2006, 10:49 AM
Sooz, you've only been doing pastels for 2 years?? unbellievable. Wow. I thought you would have been doing that and being on wc longer.
Imean, you seem to be a person everyone looks up to.
diane

Tracy Lang
02-02-2006, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Diane, thats funny...I can just picture standing up at a pastel addicts meeting and being busted by a dark smudge on my forehead!

RJ, Yes, I sometimes use PS for prelim work, esp when I'm combining parts of a couple of photos and experimenting with a composition/values. It's a valuable and timesaving tool.

Sooz, Wow, 2 years... you give me hope :) Thanks

Tracy

Khadres
02-03-2006, 01:38 AM
LOL...I give ya hope? What...that you'll survive that long maybe? LOL Just jokin', but you'll be amazed how fast two years go by around here! And I don't know that folks look up to me all that much, but they do humor me a lot and that's really nice! :D

fortysomething
02-03-2006, 07:48 AM
Tracy, we feed the lil' birds in our backyard all winter. They also have lots of different holleys for nesting & snacks, and we grow bee balm, salvia and sunflowers to supplement their summer diets. We also have a bird bath that they actually use!

I'm so tickled you've joined the bird painting thread. I love birds. :D Can't wait to see more of your work!!!

K Taylor-Green
02-04-2006, 01:19 AM
LOL, Tracey! Welcome to the Pastels Forum! The more the merrier I always say.

W. Howard Moore
02-04-2006, 09:40 AM
Welcome Tracy,
The only problem with finding this forum is all the time spent reading all the old posts.:)

Enjoy!

Howard

Kristabelle
02-04-2006, 04:33 PM
J
I started working with pastels in December and am already quite the addict. (figures i'd fall in love with one of the more expensive media lol)

I'm a little hesitant to try pastels for that reason. :)

Being a college student doesn't mix well with getting addicted to expensive art supplies! I've spent hours reading through all the threads and I may buy a few colors just to experiment... but I don't know. I should probably just stick with my oil paints for now.

(Oh, I'm new too!)

Khadres
02-04-2006, 05:15 PM
I'm a little hesitant to try pastels for that reason. :)

Being a college student doesn't mix well with getting addicted to expensive art supplies! I've spent hours reading through all the threads and I may buy a few colors just to experiment... but I don't know. I should probably just stick with my oil paints for now.

(Oh, I'm new too!)

Welcome, Howard and Kristabelle! Why not try a small, inexpensive set of NuPastels and a box of Faber-Castell Goldfaber soft half sticks? They're decent for experimenting and having fun with and not too terribly expensive. BTW, I'm a former oil painter, too, and oils will always be my first love, but pastels are definitely my current "habit"!

All you new folks...be sure and check out the Weekly Scumble and Weekly Sketch threads...they're both great places to jump in and participate! The Goal Posts is also a great place to start setting your goals, both large and small, immediate and long-term for you art future!

Tracy Lang
02-04-2006, 11:32 PM
Lisa, Sounds like the lil'birdies in your yard have it made! The first pair of mourning doves this season are sitting on their eggs in a moss basket in my entryway. Last year we had 15 pairs that went into late summer...it will be interesting to see how many we get this year! Your flamingo in the bird riot thread was drop dead gorgeous!

Kate, Thanks!

Howard, I know what you mean... Who has time to paint when there is so much catching up to do!

Kristabelle, my first pastels were a set of 30 Rembrandts.There are some good deals for them on Ebay. I use them all the time, colors are great and they have a nice feel. For me, it was all i needed to realize that I totally love working with pastels! From there, after reading through quite a few threads on this forum, I bought a sampler set from Dakota. I have to say, I really like most of the brands for different uses and it comes down to slowly building up colors/values etc. You can do alot with a little, so JUMP IN!