PDA

View Full Version : still life - unknown style

billo
02-01-2006, 05:37 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/02-01-2006/75223_stilljan06_005c.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: still life - unknown style
Year Created: 2006
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 40cmx80cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Hi everybody! I am new to WC, a fantastic community. In the last few days, I have learnt a lot by simply reading the threads and reading the comments of the very talented and helpful people around here. So I thought I could have some specific input on my latest work. I mainly paint over weekends, as I do not have a studio and have to do it in the dining room. This means that, by dinner time, everything has to be 'as usual', and I spend more time putting my paint, easel and brushes away than painting. This explains my productivity (1 painting every 6 years, on average, in the past 20 years). And it shows!! In any case, any input would be more than welcome. Thanks for what you are teaching me!!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
In particular, what style is this? Abstract? Something else? Usually, I am in the figurative stuff. This time, I tried something different. Evidently, the older I get, the bolder I become!

donn_granros
02-01-2006, 05:41 PM
Somewhat cubist I would say

Zap
02-01-2006, 06:09 PM
I would agree that it is cubist in style.....and I quite like it. Even though we paint abstract images or cubist images, it is important to pay attention to light and shadow. I feel that is the one weakness in this painting. BUt I really like the composition.

billo
02-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Cubist (sort of)! Thanks, Donn!

Zap: light! I fully agree with you. Where does it come from? Not clear ... I guess I got confused by all the different sections in the painting. Anyway, I have six years to fix it!!

Constellation
02-01-2006, 07:45 PM
Hi Bill..... guess you could always take your family out to dinner Sat. night and then just leave your painting up in the dining room.... (just a suggestion) I like this very much.... and agree it is cubism but I'm not sure you need shadows... it's so intriguing to put things back together and wonder how your brain compiled such a puzzle of pieces and disconneted parts... it's very interesting and, I think, also well done. Donna

Corby
02-01-2006, 07:46 PM
The tired old cubist approach, but with a fresh new face on it! Marvelous! As a suggestion: the greater part of solving the set up and take down and put away problem is to get yourself some version of the French Easel. They are very inexpensive anymore. I0 minutes to setup and your going!

billo
02-01-2006, 08:13 PM
Donna: after finishing it, I asked myself the same question about my brain. What's going on with it? Hope nothing I should be worried about...:)

I have discussed your suggestion of dining out every Saturday with my wife and my children: they enthusiastically agree and, for the first time ever, are encouraging me to paint night and day!

However, something is telling me I'd better go for the French Easel suggestion. ;) Thanks, CorvusKorax!

2bhappy
02-01-2006, 09:30 PM
This is great! cubist yes, but as corvus said a fresh approach. No shadows needed.Don't wait six years this time.:)
Blair

dornberg
02-03-2006, 08:29 PM
nice color and balance

Lobster Alla Prima
02-03-2006, 08:45 PM
Cubist, but nothing wrong with that. Maybe this was how the wine looked after drinking some of it? I like it.

I'm a weekender too. Another way to get time despite family is to do it when others are asleep (real early or late), but that's truly suffering for your art.

Dhuot
02-03-2006, 10:40 PM
As long as you like what you produce, the style is not that important :p
ANyways, the colours and composition, combined with the depht (which you succeeded with here ) has a Giorgio De Chirico feel :clap:

In my book this work is very complete :) and nice

corfublue
02-04-2006, 12:23 AM
Great design, and balance. I would push your colours more in the future, only because it's realy strong and can be stronger.
I like what you are doing.
Cubist? I would push Distorted....?

billo
02-04-2006, 09:01 AM
Maybe this was how the wine looked after drinking some of it? :D:D:D You got me, Lobster!

billo
02-04-2006, 09:05 AM
2bhappy, dornberg, and dhuot: Thanks for your nice words. They are so encouraging that I have decided to post another one.
Now everybody knows who's to blame for my second post!!