PDA

View Full Version : fairly miniature still life

donn_granros
02-01-2006, 03:55 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/02-01-2006/71609_SCHOLAR012606new_009REALCOLWCU.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: fairly miniature still life
Year Created: 2006
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 8 x 10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a direction I plan to take for a while: smaller works with a high level of detail.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
just interested in knowing if people like this style of work.
General feedback.

Spyderbabe
02-01-2006, 04:35 PM
I do!
The statue has a great sense of being three dimensional. The glass is good and I like the way the vine seems to be duplicated in the bg texture. One crit is the yellow bowl seems a bit wonky.

donn_granros
02-01-2006, 04:44 PM
hmmm.. I think you are right about the bowl. I will fix it. Thanks

Constellation
02-01-2006, 08:06 PM
Donn.... I like this.... it doesn't confuse me at all! It's pleasant, easy to understand, clean, concise and my kind of a painting! Thanks... I'm no longer alone! ;) Donna

donn_granros
02-01-2006, 08:33 PM
Donn.... I like this.... it doesn't confuse me at all! It's pleasant, easy to understand, clean, concise and my kind of a painting! Thanks... I'm no longer alone! ;) Donna

in a realistic vein? I keep planning to be more of an impressionist but I keep locking in to the more literal stuff of late. Maybe later

Corby
02-01-2006, 09:48 PM
Hi Don! Good to see you here again! I love still life! And this one is just great. I like the objects and I even like the wonky yellow bowl...sometimes life just deals us a wonky hand...My observation is the plant. It is a Pothos, luxuriant and hard to kill...maybe it doesn't like the yellow bowl? At any rate the painting would be fuller and richer visually if it were to be a "happier plant" (meaning lots of leaves, upright and perky).... Yes I hope we see more work like this. I am going myself to be posting some still life soon....

*Violet*
02-01-2006, 10:00 PM
i love the statue! ... but think the way the shadow is done it appears too close to the wall ... both the glass and the yellow bowl need the other lip to be represented too i think

donn_granros
02-01-2006, 10:45 PM
Hi Don! Good to see you here again! I love still life! And this one is just great. I like the objects and I even like the wonky yellow bowl...sometimes life just deals us a wonky hand...My observation is the plant. It is a Pothos, luxuriant and hard to kill...maybe it doesn't like the yellow bowl? At any rate the painting would be fuller and richer visually if it were to be a "happier plant" (meaning lots of leaves, upright and perky).... Yes I hope we see more work like this. I am going myself to be posting some still life soon....

That plant is plastic. It's Minnesota in the winter and only plastic seems to do well (around our house at least). In the future I will try to use a happier variety of plastic. Seriously... thanks. In a still life the plants, even a sick plastic one, add some random moves which works pretty well against the geometrics of the rest of the composition. Usually I am on the oil forum. You should check it out -a lot of good talent over there.

donn_granros
02-01-2006, 10:49 PM
i love the statue! ... but think the way the shadow is done it appears too close to the wall ... both the glass and the yellow bowl need the other lip to be represented too i think

I see what you mean. If I get ambititious I will square off the top to eliminate the curvature. Wasn't there in my original workup. thanks. The shadows are correct. I checked. thanks

donn_granros
02-01-2006, 10:52 PM
violet, wierd. There is no curvature in the actual painting at all. might be a bits of lens distortion from the digital camera.

Ingoodcompany
02-02-2006, 01:06 AM
It has strength and appeal...seems a good direction to go. I'm curious what direction you were going before.

*Violet*
02-02-2006, 02:27 AM
i do think by this example you do very well with smaller works and detail ... not knowing what your reference was i still think perhaps some artistic license could be taken to drop back the shadow so the statue doesn't appear to be so close to the wall as i'd think that with the base and the round table the shadow *should* appear further away ... and to me, the eye level *would* show the elipsis of the top of the glass and the top (and bottom) of the bowl, similar to that of the bottom of the glass and the table, but of course less so perspectively ... i just think those little adjustments would make the painting a touch better than it is ... which is really good !! ... i like this style of work very much

donn_granros
02-02-2006, 09:54 AM
It has strength and appeal...seems a good direction to go. I'm curious what direction you were going before.

That was a silly statement on my part. I quit painting for over 20 years and restarted in 2002. I was more into surrealist type works, maybe a bit less subject oriented and I was thinking that I was venturing into more precise structured paintings. When you posed the question I realized that I'm pretty still doing fairly precise work and I was 20 years ago too.
Nothing much has changed except subject matter. thanks

Hykue
02-02-2006, 06:11 PM
I like the close shadow and the wonky bowl. I think they help add interest. It also almost seems like the statue is leaning in towards the center a bit, looking slightly conspiratorial. The mood I got from this reminds me of a bunch of clever but just-slightly-scruffy kids getting together to plan some fun escapade. I think the non-perky plant also adds to this mood. So I guess if that's not what you were going for, then maybe that's a criticism. I, however, really like it. If that is what you were going for, and what you mean by "this style", then I say keep a-paintin' (in this style).

donn_granros
02-02-2006, 06:27 PM
thanks Hykue, Guess I like the less than perfect aspects too. I don't know about the clever kid part but everything I do is always a little tongue-in-cheek. I could have pushed the envelope farther into photo realism but I think it is possible to gain some reality and lose other things in the process.

Welcome to WetCanvas. There is a huge amount of information stored out here. It is a great site.