PDA

View Full Version : Sunset on Kendall Lake

Spyderbabe
02-01-2006, 02:46 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/02-01-2006/23281_Sunset_Kendall_Lake.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Sunset on Kendall Lake
Year Created: 2006
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Board
Dimension: 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I'm growing less fond of gessoed board every time I use it....

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Enough color?
Too much orange in the water?

T Christensen
02-01-2006, 02:57 PM
Awesome, I love it..now to be helpful :rolleyes:. I think maybe the one orange spot on the left ( large one) may need to be broken up horizontally a bit. It doesn't have the nice flat feel of water like the rest. Kinda going up hill....But otherwise ..Awesome...TerryC

Spyderbabe
02-01-2006, 03:19 PM
I agree! Im also concerned that some of the clouds look like distant mountains..

donn_granros
02-01-2006, 04:03 PM
I prefer canvas. If you want less texture try Frederick's Blue Label -portrait grade. I like the brightness and coloring of your painting.

T Christensen
02-01-2006, 04:36 PM
Thats whats cool about it ...that mysterious sky...it can go either way, looks like home for me , multiple mountain ranges..but actually it looks like a second distant mountain range covered in clouds :)...TerryC

Corby
02-01-2006, 07:55 PM
I think I would make it a few minutes later in the day and really zap the color in that sunset where it lives, reflecting it in the water for depth...http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Feb-2006/70790-Kendall_Lake.jpg

you have the most marvelous way of using color! I am working on it...

Constellation
02-01-2006, 08:00 PM
Kathleen! This is enough to give me palpitations! ;) What a tremendous exciting painting...the way you use color makes your paintings just vibrate!
Donna

2bhappy
02-01-2006, 09:39 PM
Love the color ! maybe the left reflection I would make smaller or move some of it to the right a little...nice mood.
Blair

sugar tree gal
02-03-2006, 08:10 PM
Kathleen, these colors!! Wow I don't think I can find anything wrong..just really reaches out and grabs ya...:) Janice

dornberg
02-03-2006, 08:19 PM
some passionate color interplay

Lobster Alla Prima
02-03-2006, 08:32 PM
It took my breath away. Beautiful. You must have had a blast working in those bright colors. A fun style.

(Umm, I've always preferred board. It's thin, firm, variable surface, holds thick paint well... But then again I'm a lobster. lol)

corfublue
02-04-2006, 12:05 AM
Continue being generous, especialy with contrasts/darks and scale.
it's very cool.

Spyderbabe
02-04-2006, 04:38 PM
Donn, Terry - thanks for looking. I like the wewave of canvas and the way it takes the paint. The board is great for mixed media but the paint dries soooo fast... and I"m a prtty fast painter.
Thanks CK! and Donna - Its fun to put out unusual colors on the palette and let them find their way into the painting..... try some lime green or turquoise... like adding spice to the chili!
Blair - I made the reflections on our left smaller and duller.
Janice, Bob thanks for looking and your kind words.
Lobster - I did - the music was blasting and I had a ball.
Thanks Val!

Terri5
02-04-2006, 07:07 PM
For me, this is wonderful and unexpected: it hovers somewhere in the area between being a natural and a "made-up" landscape, and it's the more powerful for it. I love the rhythm and energy you set up here through the brushstrokes and the unexpectedness of the colors!

Rita2479
02-05-2006, 07:58 AM
I just had to chime in...
This is absolutely beautiful, I love the colours and the atmosphere of this painting, almost ethereal.
If you were concerned about too much orange in the water the only thing I would do is follow T Christensen's advice and break up the one orange patch on the left side a bit. Other than that it's stunning!

Spyderbabe
02-06-2006, 06:01 PM
Terri - thanks... it is mostly made up from memories.... Rita, I killed some orange - will try to post an updated photo soon.

Spyderbabe
02-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Having a hard time getting a good photo....but its done! Thanks for all your http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2006/23281-kendall_lake.jpg input.

paulavanzanten
02-12-2006, 05:34 AM
Hi Kathleen, wow so different from the one I just saw by you! I love the sky with the colours and the movement... and you do that too huh... with the music I mean...hihiii...Cheers have a good one!