PDA

View Full Version : The Portrait Gallery, February, 2006.

valchina612
02-01-2006, 09:53 AM
What's on your easel this month? Show a finished portrait or one in any stage of progress. This thread is for showcasing your work; others will only critique your work if you request it .

Here is a link in case you need help attaching your art work:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/44487/496/

So please show us what you've been up to this month. We'd love to see

Val.

studiogarcia
02-01-2006, 02:04 PM
Hello everyone. This is what is on my easel this February. Still needs some refining. Thanks for looking.

Carmen - 8"x10" Egg Tempera on Panel

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Feb-2006/19741-Carmen020106.jpg

Detail of surface:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Feb-2006/19741-CarmenDetail.jpg

Gilberte
02-01-2006, 03:15 PM
Such great luminosity in your painting ............ always admire egg tempera artists !

studiogarcia
02-01-2006, 05:25 PM
Thankyou Gilberte.

valchina612
02-02-2006, 05:04 AM
Alex, what a wonderful Portrait to start this Thread off with :clap:
I do so admire your talent with Egg Tempera. I really love your Portrait, and am so pleased that you are continuing to post them for everyone to enjoy. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Val. :wave:

valchina612
02-02-2006, 08:22 PM
We had so many wonderful Portraits last month -- each month just keeps getting better and better (if that's possible!!!!!!!).

I am looking so forward to seeing everyone's works for the month of February.

valchina612
02-04-2006, 08:28 AM
Just pushing this one up to the 1st Page so that everyone can see to view it and also to post.

Katherine T
02-04-2006, 09:53 AM
Val - A couple of drawings from my portrait drawing class - hope that's OK.

The first is a bit less than A2 in size, on heavy white cartridge paper. Clutch pencil (main head) and 6B graphite stick (background)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2006/48045-web_female020206.jpg

The second is a crop of a larger drawing and is just 2.5" high - trying to draw somebody's face that size when they're sitting about 15 feet away on a plinth is somewhat challenging!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2006/48045-web_malehead020206.jpg

Gilberte
02-04-2006, 01:23 PM
Katherine,
These are really good drawings.... do like the top one !

valchina612
02-05-2006, 08:21 AM
Katherine, I really like these. I am so glad you posted them, and I hope you will post more. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

terence p
02-05-2006, 03:19 PM
This is a commission I just finished of two children. It is pastel done with hard and soft pastels on canson paper. Ive attached the photo I used. Any suggestions. Im not sure about the hand. I thought I had done it correctly but it seems to look more like an elbow than a bent hand or is it that it is just cut off and doesnt give the entire picture.

Gilberte
02-05-2006, 03:30 PM
If you hadn't mentioned the hand I wouldn't have noticed. Their eyes and chubby cheeks attracted all my attention.
Beautiful.

SallyAnn
02-06-2006, 02:50 PM
Terence - what a beautiful portrait! Cute kids.. well done!:clap:

Im working on this at the moment.. its not really a portrait as such, just something I wanted to try out. It's going to hang along with my other 5 'women' in a bit of a mural thing. Hubby is going to be surrounded by women before too long! :wink2:

Hmm.. just noticed you can hardly see the Moko on her chin... it is a tattoo.. it just looks like a fuzzy mess here.. lol

valchina612
02-07-2006, 09:43 AM
Terry -- Your Portrait of the two children is gorgeous. You have made a beautiful job of it, and if you hadn't mentioned the hand, I wouldn't have noticed it either. Great work. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

SallyAnn -- Nice work, and your mural sounds great. When you get this up, I would love you to post a picture of the mural. Sounds like poor hubby is going to be the odd one out. :eek: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mario
02-07-2006, 12:00 PM
Last night's practise; a copy of a famous Dutch painting in Charcoal and pastel pencil. I couldn't make up my mind on which to do it in..so, I learned a lot about the darkest darks, anyway.

valchina612
02-08-2006, 03:54 AM
Very well done Mario. I like your highlights. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Gilberte
02-08-2006, 06:12 AM
Yes Mario, you caught the Old Master feel very well !

Mario
02-08-2006, 10:48 AM
Thanks, it's really one of my first attempts at 'realistic' portraits..i started another thread showing my first attempts thru the help of a new book on drawing the head..
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323574

terence p
02-08-2006, 11:59 PM
thank youfor the compliments on my portrait of the two children. I love looking at the other works submitted. Such varied and talented work.

Pat Isaac
02-09-2006, 10:22 AM
This is a commission portrait that I recently finished. It is done in oil pastel. Putting the people together from 5 different photos was the hardest.
Pat
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2006/35760-port6.jpg

Anda G
02-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Thank you, to all the people here who helped me to get things right. I had to go over the whole thing with color to freshen it up. The nose gave me a fit. :( I am going to call this done and frame it. It was a good learning experience. Everybody puts such good work in this thread. :D

Andagail :wave:

It's a little darker here than it should be.

nah, I think I'll go fix the nose.

MaryJ
02-09-2006, 10:02 PM
I got a stunning new computer from Santa this year, but it has taken a while to get it configured so I can do all the things I'm accustomed to do. Anyway, life class at the museum has started up again and I think I got a successful study done last week. I'm posting here to get comment and critique. All comments welcome. Work is done with Nupastel on Canson Mitientes paper (smooth side) full size.

Regards,
Mary Johnson

LGHumphrey
02-10-2006, 09:01 AM
Mary, it's not just your new computer that is stunning, your portrait is stunning too. Fabulous work, well done, congratulations.

Gilberte
02-10-2006, 09:33 AM
It's a treat to drop in here and see all your great work !

Good continuation and Ciao !

Anda G
02-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Pat, I really like that style in your group portrait. Very confident.

Here is my finished picture. I tweaked the nose a little and a couple of other things.

I gave it to his grandma today and she loves it. :D

Andagail

Pat Isaac
02-10-2006, 03:54 PM
Thanks, Andagail and I'l bet that grandmother was over joyed with that portrait.

valchina612
02-11-2006, 08:41 AM
Pat -- I just love your Portrait. You did wonderfully well putting 5 separate photos together into such a lovely family Portrait. It is such a happy painting. Great work. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mary -- This is a wonderful Portrait -- really stunning. And congratulations on being in Santa's good books and scoring a lovely new computer. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Andagail -- Your Portrait is absolutely wonderful, and I have no doubt that his grandmother would have been ecstatic with it. Congratulations on such beautiful work. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Pat Isaac
02-11-2006, 08:57 AM
Thanks, Val. The family really liked it.

Pat

valchina612
02-13-2006, 09:37 AM
Thankyou to everyone who has posted in this thread this month. There are some GREAT Portraits here. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Troy Rochford
02-13-2006, 09:47 AM
Andagail I didn't even know you worked in color. that is outstanding!

The only thing I've done in the way of portraiture this month is this study of Armin Mersmann that I did as the demo for a class that I'm teaching. I've got a couple of others currently in the works though.:)

Approx 8x10" graphite on matboard:wave:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2006/38425-arminfinald.JPG

valchina612
02-14-2006, 03:39 AM
This is a wonderful Portrait Troy. Thankyou so much for posting it in the Portrait Gallery. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

SallyAnn
02-14-2006, 11:12 AM
WOW! What can I say.. I just popped in to see the latest portraits and they are ALL fantastic! Bravo everyone!!!

Mario
02-15-2006, 10:29 PM
on my easel another charcoal copy of a Dutch master painting off the web

FortChaos
02-15-2006, 10:53 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2006/76779-1.jpg
I'm a newbie here, but figured it wouldn't hurt to add a portrait in the gallery.

rdvries
02-16-2006, 03:53 AM
Hi everybody,
I'm new in the portraiture forum. I draw a lot of pencil portraits, but this is my first in oil. A portrait of my mother in the early 60's. This is the umber and white underpainting, adding color soon.

Rob
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2006/22850-mien3.jpg

valchina612
02-16-2006, 04:05 AM
Another great Portrait Mario. You are doing really well, and I hope you will continue to post your charcoal Portraits. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

valchina612
02-16-2006, 04:08 AM
Hi FortChaos,

Welcome to the Portraiture Forum, and the Portrait Gallery. :wave:

I very much like your Portrait, and love the Monochromatic rendering. I hope you will post more. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

valchina612
02-16-2006, 04:13 AM
Hi Rob,

Welcome to the Portraiture Forum, and the Portrait Gallery. :wave:

I just love your Portrait. You say it is your first in Oils -- you are taking to them like a duck to water. It's a wonderful underpainting, and I can't wait to see your updates. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

It is great to have another artist in the forum with the same surname as mine :clap: And not only that, but you have the same Christian name as my husband. I think it's a great name (but then I'm biased :D ).

twod
02-16-2006, 04:29 AM
my latest outcome

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2006/44225-new1_003.jpg

valchina612
02-16-2006, 09:26 AM
Interesting work twod. Thanks for posting it here. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mario
02-16-2006, 01:03 PM
Thanks for your comments Val..it's always great to be able to show recently completed work..

I personaly like the post of Katherine T. It is to my own taste. Way to go Katherine, keep it up!

larubia
02-16-2006, 02:44 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2006/75590-Picture39.jpg ...hi everyone:wave: just found this thread..some terrif..ic work on here..going to pinch some of your ideas..have never done an underpainting before...shall try that on my next portrait ty...have posted this on the show your self portrait so hope its ok to it here...took me 7 days last week

valchina612
02-16-2006, 04:00 PM
Welcome to the Portrait Gallery Larubia. :wave:
This is a lovely Portrait, and I especially love your highlights -- they really make this Portrait pop. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

LGHumphrey
02-16-2006, 07:01 PM
Larubia, absolutely beautiful self portrait. Congratulations on your blog, too.

larubia
02-16-2006, 07:54 PM
thankyou ..thankyou....Valchina and LgHumphry...think i'm getting a bit better at this the more i'm doing...still need to work on colour and simplification..want to get away from GREY!..am going to experiment next with using warmer colours and a more dramatic contrast in tone on the face by not going too light which makes painting the face more difficult..i'll see..going to be fun trying..ty both once again for your kind words helps enormously.

Mario
02-16-2006, 10:34 PM
Hi Larubia, Having done the 'greys' as well as you have is a BIG plus..perhaps you could spike the chroma a little in the passage from light to dark but your portrait is really stunning.
Only, the ear is too pronounced..easily covered with some of that rubia.

dollardays
02-16-2006, 11:30 PM
I wish I had time to comment on them all-- but I really don't!

Alex: Beautiful and the patience of a saint you must have.

Terence: Adorable children!! Love their cheeks and smiles.

Pat: You can tell they are related- their hair ties it all together- I hope you were well paid for this as it looks liek it was a lot of work.. wonderful though.

Andagail: it is a really great portrait-- you have improved a LOT!! FIXED that nose--yes. I am treasuring my drawing BTW. :)

Rob: All I can say is WOW-- quite an undertaking and another artist with the patience of a saint.

Larubia-- awesome- I want to paint like YOU!!!! Mario is right about the ear although I did not see it until he pointed it out.

This is my work from this morning. Alla prima except for a bit of finishing touches when I held it up to a mirror.

Nora

larubia
02-17-2006, 05:34 AM
love you guys at wetcanvas...thankyou for taking the time to point out that ear..such trouble i had with it..got fed up and just left it....i love constructive critisism..cant spell this morning...couldn't sleep last night thinking about my next painting..now i'm too tired to start..laughter..you are right too mario about the passage from light to dark...these are all things i need to work on..big ty

Pat Isaac
02-17-2006, 08:25 AM
Thanks, Nora. yes it was a lot of work and the pay was good.
Your portrait looks great also..nice and fresh looking.

Pat

terence p
02-18-2006, 01:37 AM
my wife agreed to pose for me tonight so I did this of her. She posed for about an hour but I need her to sit some more to finish up. I thought she would hate sitting for so long but she said that it is one time when I give her full attention!
Attached is tonights work.

valchina612
02-18-2006, 03:43 AM
Hi Nora,

I love your Portrait. It is so fresh and beautiful. Thankyou for posting it, and I hope to see more of your work. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

larubia
02-18-2006, 03:49 AM
Terence P...one hour and you did that..wow...it is a really beautiful painting..your colour is so vibrant..crikey i'm really envious!

valchina612
02-18-2006, 03:51 AM
Hi Terry,

I just love the Portrait of your wife -- it is looking awesome already, so I am looking very forward to the end result. And I just love your wife's comment :clap: I can see you are going to have to paint several more Portraits of her as time goes by -- it's a win/win situation. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

TeAnne
02-18-2006, 06:45 AM
Fantastic works, dare I put mine in.?

I want to torture you all :evil::evil:
I did these 3.5" x 2.5" Acrylic Art Cards for my exhibition on this Wednesday.

TeAnne
02-18-2006, 06:48 AM
I don't know what is going on here grr

LGHumphrey
02-18-2006, 09:58 AM
Terry, really beautiful. Pastel pencils?

Jay07
02-18-2006, 07:42 PM
Just finished. My "big" sister c. 1968... I left it very loose/rough because I caught her expression so perfectly that I am very happy with it and did not want to risk losing what I caught.....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2006/74129-11jensmall.jpg

Jay07
02-18-2006, 07:46 PM
I got a stunning new computer from Santa this year, but it has taken a while to get it configured so I can do all the things I'm accustomed to do. Anyway, life class at the museum has started up again and I think I got a successful study done last week. I'm posting here to get comment and critique. All comments welcome. Work is done with Nupastel on Canson Mitientes paper (smooth side) full size.

Regards,
Mary Johnson

Ooo I love this!

Jay07
02-18-2006, 07:48 PM
my latest outcome

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2006/44225-new1_003.jpg
Brilliant!

Jay07
02-18-2006, 07:49 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2006/75590-Picture39.jpg ...hi everyone:wave: just found this thread..some terrif..ic work on here..going to pinch some of your ideas..have never done an underpainting before...shall try that on my next portrait ty...have posted this on the show your self portrait so hope its ok to it here...took me 7 days last week
Great eyes here!

Jay07
02-18-2006, 07:50 PM
I wish I had time to comment on them all-- but I really don't!

Alex: Beautiful and the patience of a saint you must have.

Terence: Adorable children!! Love their cheeks and smiles.

Pat: You can tell they are related- their hair ties it all together- I hope you were well paid for this as it looks liek it was a lot of work.. wonderful though.

Andagail: it is a really great portrait-- you have improved a LOT!! FIXED that nose--yes. I am treasuring my drawing BTW. :)

Rob: All I can say is WOW-- quite an undertaking and another artist with the patience of a saint.

Larubia-- awesome- I want to paint like YOU!!!! Mario is right about the ear although I did not see it until he pointed it out.

This is my work from this morning. Alla prima except for a bit of finishing touches when I held it up to a mirror.

Nora
Sheesh. Wonderful.

Anda G
02-18-2006, 08:36 PM
Hi, Val. Thank you. :)

Hi, Troy. Surprised to see you in here. :D I started in watercolors then pastels before I realized that I need to know how to draw. I'm picking it up.

Nora! Hi! Good to hear from you. I've been thinking about your portrait lately. I am finally taking that drawing 1 class and I'm "learning" that charcoal technique. I'm glad you still like your portrait.

Thanks for all the nice comments. I am learning so much. All these great inspirations on here. :)

Andagail :wave:

Anda G
02-18-2006, 08:42 PM
Hi, Val. I am so tempted to post my latest portrait here, but I don't think I can. She's a real dog. :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328100

Andagail

Mario
02-18-2006, 10:51 PM
Just finished. My "big" sister c. 1968... I left it very loose/rough because I caught her expression so perfectly that I am very happy with it and did not want to risk losing what I caught.....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2006/74129-11jensmall.jpg

Yes, you've caught a beautiful expression!.. just open the nostrils a little..let a little light in..that won't hurt..and maybe a touch of blood (pink) where it would show on the surface of the skin..the last suggestion is that the hair is always a reflector of light..so, a little more light up there on the viewers leftside and the top of the head..otherwise, yes do not fiddle with it.:cat:

valchina612
02-19-2006, 04:46 AM
TeAnne -- Thanks for posting your ACEOs. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

JAY -- What a great Portrait of your big sister. I can see what you mean about getting her expression. It is a beautiful expression. Thankyou so much for posting this really happy Portrait. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

TeAnne
02-19-2006, 07:08 AM
Thanks Val, I thought they must not have been showing up.

There is some really great work here isn't there?

Katherine T
02-19-2006, 08:27 AM
Wow - what an impressive lot of portraits this month. I'm not going to single anybody out as they're all really really good.

And it's very rewarding to see people working in so many different mediums!

Thanks to Val, Gilberte and Mario for your kind comments

I missed my "Drawing a Head" class last week due to traffic! However this is this week's drawing - and this is the first time I've only done one head in the class. It's large as well - the image is on A2 paper (23.5" x 15.5") and as before has been completed using a mechanical pencil to do lots of fine hatching - supplemented with a 6B graphite stick for some darker values and the background.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2006/48045-web_DrawingMaleHead_160206.jpg

C&C welcome. (PS It's cross-posted in my Drawings Heads (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322213) thread over in the Artwork from Life Forum)

terence p
02-19-2006, 12:21 PM
thanks for the comments on the portrait.
learned some more things this time.
I had told my wife to put on a top that didnt have too many folds since the last time I did a portrait of her, every time she sat down after a break the folds were different.
Learned two more things. One is to make sure you got the correct proportions - while it does look somewhat like my wife, the eyes, in particular, are not spaced correctly. Also Ill make sure I have the hair pretty much done if the model is coming back another day. When my wife sat for me the next day, her hair was in a different style. Since I hadnt paid too much attention to the shapes and highlights in the hair, I had a hard time with it on the second sitting.

Teanne- love the colors you used
Jay- charming and you caught a wonderful expression
Twod - wish I had your imagination!
Jarubia- a professional portrait- terrific
Katherine- well done portrait and I love how you did the hair.

Artfreaky
02-19-2006, 06:32 PM
Wow, there's a lot of talent here!
I'm new to the forum and just posted this portrait in the pen & ink section. Thought I'd throw it in here too and see what you all think.

(I messed up his ear, but otherwise I dig it).

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/3033/pjportrait9vs.png (http://imageshack.us)

valchina612
02-19-2006, 11:33 PM
Katherine -- This is a beautiful Portrait, and at that size, I can just imagine how impressive it looks IRL. Like Terry, I also love the way you have done the hair. Thanks so much for posting. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Artfreaky -- I just love the way you have rendered this Portrait -- great colours and terrific stippling. I hope we see a lot more of your Portraits, and thanks so much for posting in the Gallery. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

larubia
02-20-2006, 02:00 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2006/75590-Picture8a.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2006/75590-Picture9.jpg...the horror on the left is the beginning of a life size sp...the little girl is one completed before I started this self portraits malarkey a couple of months ago..have a long way to go with my giant painting...:eek:
really wonderful thread here..such diverse portraits..all of them really good...the feelings and truth I see in them all is remarkable...:clap: :clap: :clap:

LGHumphrey
02-20-2006, 04:48 PM
larubia, your portrait of the young lady has a beautiful classic look to it.

Jay07
02-20-2006, 07:03 PM
Mario and Val thank you for commenting!!

Jay07
02-20-2006, 07:04 PM
I can't help wondering where Larubia stores all her canvases! Her output rate is breathtaking!

Jay07
02-20-2006, 07:05 PM
Wow, there's a lot of talent here!
I'm new to the forum and just posted this portrait in the pen & ink section. Thought I'd throw it in here too and see what you all think.

(I messed up his ear, but otherwise I dig it).

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/3033/pjportrait9vs.png (http://imageshack.us)
This is great! The translucency of the eye is killer!

valchina612
02-21-2006, 03:08 AM
Beautiful work Larubia. The young girl is just as Lawrence mentioned -- a real Classical look to it. The Self Portrait is looking GREAT -- it's going to be terrific. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

larubia
02-21-2006, 04:19 AM
ty Valchina,LGHumphry...ty both for your kind words..yey..got up this morning to makecoffee 1st thing I saw on the way is this huge painting...scared the life out of me retreated back to bed and hit the computer...

Artfreaky
02-21-2006, 02:31 PM
This is great! The translucency of the eye is killer!

Thanks Jay! The reason I chose him for this portrait was because of his eyes - I thought the blue would show up nicely against oranges and blacks.

BermudaArt
02-22-2006, 08:08 PM
Hi folks, have been missing in action for a long time on this site. Recently decided to try my hand again at a portrait, second attempt. I am primarily a historical landscape painter, although I have also tried a few dog portraits. This is of my Dad who died in 1987, so I had to do it from a black/white photo. I have been concentrating on the face, still have more to do with the clothing, but this is 4 days work. Oils on canvas, 18x24 inches.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Feb-2006/41631-aMVC-287F.jpg

patrickrorke
02-23-2006, 07:01 AM
Hi everyone ive just joined wet canvas i thought id also share a portrait or two of my own... Let me know what you thinkhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2006/77471-neil_crop.jpg
Portrait of Niel Starr
http://www.artabus.com/rorke/

Gilberte
02-23-2006, 09:43 AM
I've been lurking so often this month and with all the excellent paintings shown February's posts are among the very best I've seen.
Bravo to all (with a little envy .....) !

NYKIWI
02-24-2006, 12:02 AM
I haven't posted on the Portraiture forums before but thought I would jump on in with the painting I just finished of my young daughters. I've only been painting a little while and actually this is only my 10th painting I have done. The last 3 paintings I have done have been portraits :) . I just really enjoy that feeling like you are moulding the face when you draw/paint people. I love looking at everyones portraits, they really are inspiring. I posted this on the Oil painting February monthly too.

16x20 Oil

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2006/54376-wetcanvportfinal.jpg

LGHumphrey
02-24-2006, 12:05 PM
Patrick, I find your style very appealing and very painterly. Well done.

valchina612
02-25-2006, 04:06 AM
I can't believe that I posted a Reply to the last three Images yesterday, and it's not here anywhere -- must be floating around in cyberspace somewhere. :mad:

Chris -- Welcome back to the Portraiture Forum. I love the Portrait of your Dad -- it's so beautifully rendered. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Patrick -- Welcome to the Portraiture Forum. I love your Portrait -- so painterly and great work. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

NYKIWI -- Welcome to the Portraiture Forum. What a beautiful Portrait of your two young daughters. They are such bubbly girls too. Beautifully rendered. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: