PDA

View Full Version : The Goal Posts for February 2006

Khadres
02-01-2006, 08:12 AM
Wow, we're already to the second month of the new year! So far, 2006 seems to be a mixed bag for a lot of us...lots of bugs going around, making folks miserable, and weather that just can't seem to make up its mind in a lot of places. As far as goals go, some of us have already reached a good many of theirs while others of us still haven't gotten out of the starting gate...like ME!

As usual, some of us have kept it simple and set the year's goals in fairly general terms while others have set up very detailed, step by step goals and sub-goals. Both methods work well if suited to the individual. It's a good idea, I think, to reassess those goals at least monthly, see how we're doing and adjust where necessary.

My basic goal is to do more artwork than last year...and so far I haven't done diddly, so I had better be reassessing that goal and think of possible ways to get it into gear. Part of my holdup has been a horribly disorganized studio space which, as many of you know, I'm having to share with my younger daughter. All hope is not lost, however, and I should be back at the easel within the week. Yay!

Let's also welcome any newbies who happen by; I love seeing new faces and hope they'll feel welcome here in Goals as well as elsewhere in the forum.

Any new goals this month? Who's already achieved the goals they set last month...some or all? Check in and let us know how you're doing! Oh! And Happy Valentine's! :D

angecald
02-03-2006, 12:41 PM
Hi, Sooz. I've been a little slow off the mark in January, too, and since I seem to be the first responder, everybody must be thinking hard about their February goals before they commit.:) I decided to do that back in the fall, when the goals forum reached its first anniversary. I hoped to come up with a plan to follow for a whole year, and I wanted to really think about what direction I wanted to take my painting and where I wanted to be in one year's time.

Well, that didn't work, so I guess smaller chunks of time are better for me.

For February I want to produce at least four pieces from local subject matter. Most of my work up to now has been local, but I usually go to the nearby park and do landscape, or else do still life inside my house. This month I want to tackle streets, interiors, exteriors, and figures - whatever I can find by looking around me right here in the village.

Getting something on the paper will be the most important thing. It may not be in pastel, and they may not be finished works, but by the end of the month I want four of [I]something[I] done from life.

To achieve this goal, I'll have to get over my reluctance to draw in public, and my wimpiness about going out in the cold, and all the other excuses I've made for years to keep my work from growing. One month probably won't be enough for all that, but it will do for a start.

khourianya
02-03-2006, 12:54 PM
Still hoping to do enough painting to have a show in November - thus far am off to a lousy start with only on epainting in January (well, one and a half - there is a piece on my easel) of course, now that we are planning to move again, I am going to have to try to set up a dream studio again..egads. Maybe we'll find a place with a separate entrance tot he basement and I could have an open studio show instead of renting a hall. hmmm...food for thought indeed.

Anyway - I decided to host a few VPON paintouts in February to kickstart me. Hopefully it will do the trick.

Khadres
02-03-2006, 06:30 PM
Good goals, Agnes, and yes, I often think some of us are better off with mini-goals until we can achieve those without too much trouble. THEN we can plan further ahead maybe...we'll see. I hope you do get out to do the sketches,etc. you want to do around your village...sounds like fun!

Cori, you're moving AGAIN? What'd I miss??? What a pain! You would have to pay me a fortune to even consider packing up all this junk around here! Gives me a headache to think about it! Anyway, I hope despite it all you do get some paint time!

Ah, just checked the Scumble and read your post....whoopeee! Your own home! That's soooo exciting, especially when it's the first one! I hope you find just exactly what you're both looking for! There are plenty of challenges in being a homeowner, but they're well worth the effort when you're talking about your OWN home, the place you can do with as you please without worrying about neighbors attached to your walls or landlords with their own agendas. You'll love it! Congrats!

khourianya
02-03-2006, 06:50 PM
:D Ya - it's pretty exciting and the mortgage we pre-qualified for is enough to get us a kick-ass house. That being said - to keep from being destitute, we are looking for a house about $80,000 less than we could get :D But ya - it will be great once we are finally intere. But the shopping will kill us because of our special needs. I anticipate we will be looking at many many houses in the coming weeks.

Hopefully I end up with a pretty studio space where I can vpon in peace.

dlake
02-03-2006, 07:49 PM
Goals: To do a really good painting and then to do even work and not do 20 bad things and one good one. ahhh.
diane

Khadres
02-03-2006, 11:20 PM
Diane, you have the right idea...positive thinking helps a lot too!

I'll be pullin' for ya, Cori. We happened to find our first house without even being in the market really...just fell in love with it and happened to qualify and boom, there we were. Makes me laugh now when I think about how we were quaking in our boots at the closing over going a whole $16,900 into debt for it! LOL Those were the days...the payment including interest taxes and insurance was $147 a month! Of course that was 1972!

CindyW
02-03-2006, 11:51 PM
Hi Sooz... you're a guide now. You are well qualified for the job. Welcome to your new venture!
I remember when we thought the tiny new ranches up the hill from my parents house selling for $20,000 were outrageous and no one in their right mind would pay that kind of money. Wow, if we only had a clue back then about real estate. Those would go for $200,000 now. WHAT a mortgage payment you and my parents both had. I'd be a happy and content woman if our current astronomical mortgage would go away. Sigh...but our homes give us such freedoms...we can paint the walls orange and red and chartreuse if we want and play loud music, have parties and gatherings, have 5 dogs and 10 cats if we want with 20 hampsters in there, too.
Cori, it's your first home? This is ours, too, and you will breathe a sigh of relief when you finally say goodbye to the movers, if you need them, and you're sitting on the couch or the floor and have a glass of wine and look around and just know it's now your home. With nobody on the other side of the wall. Much happiness to you and great times minus stress looking and searching for the best feng shui-filled home you can find.

For goals...
I have posted the work I need and want to finish this year over in the studio forum a couple weeks or more ago.
But.
I want to experiment with new stuff. I am intrigued with portraiture essence and closeups/macros as well as texture and color experimentation with abstraction. Deborah has some threads in the past that I want to try, like creating green without using any green in a painting. Barb Noonan had one long ago about painting a still life with colors other than the realistic ones. Jackie has her workbook I'd like to go through. Goals are good, though. Nice to think about while I'm working, like I am now.
Sometime this year I'm going to join a local art association on the coast of NH and MA. I'm from CT so I'm going to look into Mystic as well. Don't know if I can get into the Cape Cod Pastel Society but I'll look into what I need to do for that, too.
Agnes, do you have any art buddies you can get together with for a day? You could sketch each other drawing/painting each other so you each get something out of the model session. I'm going to meet with 3 of my college friends for a day in 2 weeks for just that. You could get a good start on your four works that one day!
Diane, it's all learning each time you pick up a stick and you are doing fine with your work you've posted. Keep going with it, it's wonderful!

Lots to do. February is already almost done with its first week.
Good luck to all you goalies out there.
Cindy

khourianya
02-04-2006, 12:23 AM
Cori, it's your first home? This is ours, too, and you will breathe a sigh of relief when you finally say goodbye to the movers, if you need them, and you're sitting on the couch or the floor and have a glass of wine and look around and just know it's now your home. With nobody on the other side of the wall. Much happiness to you and great times minus stress looking and searching for the best feng shui-filled home you can find.

I owned a townhouse previously, with my ex-husband. That was sold 3 years ago. Cam has never been a homeowner before and I have never owned a stand-alone house - so we are both really excited. We are going to go look at the first potential home tomorrow. maybe we'll luck out and not need to shop any further. We did look quite extensively last year, but didn't qualify for much of anything. This year we have qualified for double what we did last year.

$200,000 for a tiny ranch? Yikes - 50 year old basic bungalows are going for over $350,000 in alot of the neighbourhoods here. It's nuts!

angecald
02-04-2006, 02:15 PM
When it comes to buying real estate, it would be great to have a time machine, wouldn't it? I remember when my sister and her husband bought their first little townhouse in Ottawa, they had their hearts in their mouths at taking on a mortgage of $29.000! Those units are well over $100K now.

Cori, your idea for having exhibits in your studio sounds great. Some newer houses have a home office built in with a separate entrance. They're probably too tiny for a studio but would make a good display space while you kept the messy part of the work in the basement. Just a thought. :)

Cindy, I do know a few local artists but have fallen out of touch over the last few years when I had a full time job. We used to meet regularly for a life drawing workshop but I had to give that up because it conflicted with my work hours, and now they don't meet anymore. When I was in the group show in December, I was surprised that none of the old participants were there. It was a completely new group. you're right, I should try to make contact.

I'm really quite interested in the idea of doing local scenes. I just wish I could be invisible while doing it.:D

Khadres
02-04-2006, 05:46 PM
Hi Sooz... WHAT a mortgage payment you and my parents both had. I'd be a happy and content woman if our current astronomical mortgage would go away. Cindy

Alas, that mortgage was three houses ago. Right now we're about to pay off our first mortgage and get rid of the $700 a month payment, but we'll still have the $600 second to work on for another ten years!

khourianya
02-21-2006, 12:25 PM
Egads! This thread had migrated to PAGE THREE!!!! I had to perform some CPR to wake it up and make it move back to page one!

Well, it just occurred to me that our move-in date for our new house is going to be right around the time that I was going to have my solo show and sale. I will either need to bump it up a month or postpone it temporarilly. I still want to have the show as a way to get my name and work out there so I will need to do some serious thinking. Maybe I can muster enough in private sales to forego the show for a year. I may just do some creative self-marketting and sell out all of the paintings I currently have completed.

I may have a private sale of 3 of my paintings this week, so am going to start to save for the development of my new studio. I have a blank canvas, as it were, in the new house to create my studio from. I almost can't wait until the basement is poured so I can go in and get an idea of the dimensions. It will be nice to have a door and a window in this one.

Khadres
02-21-2006, 01:00 PM
A door AND a window??? Wow...you'll love it!

I think everyone's gotten BUSY this month, hence no time to discuss what they're actually DOING? That would be nice! :D

BTW, You might want to rethink selling off all your paintings, as well, or else plan on painting a dozen or so more by move-in time. You'll want something to put up on your new WALLS, ya know????

khourianya
02-21-2006, 01:13 PM
lol - of course - though I do have alot of other Artwork for my walls. I may do a series (1 large and 3-4 small ones) for our bedroom since it is always the room that seems to be left without art. The other rooms are covered, though.

I'm thinking if I can sell them all off, it'll mean more money to put towards developing my studio space quickly. I will need walls in there too!!! The more I can save before Novemeber, means the faster the walls can go up and the sooner I can just set to painting. :)

I have been really off on my painting this year so far. I think I am done 1 small painting and started one that I hate and am going to toss because I just can't be bothered finishing it. I think it's time to breakout a piece of Wallis Museum and make a masterpiece :D

Khadres
02-21-2006, 01:30 PM
Sounds good to me! I actually started one last night...time will tell if it turns out caca or decent...but at least it's started and I hope to have something on my easel in some stage or another from now on...it seems that I balk the most at starting something new, so.....

khourianya
02-21-2006, 01:42 PM
Starting is half the battle. With all of the excitement in our house over the past 2 weeks, I haven't had time to even THINK about that area of my studio! Maybe this weekend, I'll be able to sit down and do some painting. I do have another long weekend coming up, so I guess we'll see.