PDA

View Full Version : Masters of Pastels RIP

A Few Pigments
01-31-2006, 10:36 PM
Iíve come to a decision regarding the Masters of Pastels threads. For some time now I knew I was running out of true old masters of the medium. Iíve done threads on all of the old masters of the medium I could find on the web now. I was hopping I could find more, but I couldnít.

So, the Masters of Pastels threads have come to a screeching halt. Thank you to everyone who participated in the threads and especially to the mods and guides in the Pastel Forum who gave me permission to post the threads and were always there to help. CHClements, kyle and pford.

All of the MOPís are posted in the Masters of Pastels - INDEX http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287462 in the Pastel Library. Anyone who wants to add to them or have a go at any of the pastel paintings in the threads is more than welcome to do so.

Itís been a wild ride. Thank you again to everyone who came along for the adventure.:)

Kathryn Wilson
01-31-2006, 10:47 PM
And we cannot thank you enough for all the hard work and time you put into the research you did. All the MOP's will be invaluable tools for WC pastelists for years to come -

Sad to see it end, but we sure can understand that you need to move on to your next project - :)

A Few Pigments
01-31-2006, 10:54 PM
Thank you very much Kat.:)

dlake
01-31-2006, 10:57 PM
Hi. I began here after your mop threads. I have, however, greatly enjoyed reading many of them in; the library. They are truly interesting.
I was wondering how far up the years you have gone. What was the cut off year??
Maybe you could do a new thread with newer masters from say 1900 to 1950. I don't know what years you covered and maybe you did them in your original series. It just seems a pity that you are ending as I am beginning.
If not, thanks for the fun in the library.
diane

A Few Pigments
01-31-2006, 11:30 PM
Hi Diane,
Thank you for your comments. When I began the MOPís my goal was to learn from the old masters of pastels and to share the knowledge about their methods, palettes and so forth with the members of the pastel forum. My main interest is in the work of the old masters in each of the mediums I work in. I too was thinking about doing threads on pastel artists of the twentieth century, but that brings up the dicey question of copyrights. I did do threads on a few pastel artists of the twentieth century though, but their work was safe to post online.

Iím looking forward now to doing some pastel paintings. It will be interesting to see if I really learned anything from all this research.

dlake
01-31-2006, 11:52 PM
It will be interesting.
Who is your favorite old master???
Being a history buff and doing art, I got interested in the masters. Unbelievable how magnificant thier work was. passionate. strong. like a great peice of classical music. I wonder what thier art would look like and the mediiums and subjects they would do today.....
diane

Katherine T
02-01-2006, 03:01 AM
Umm - but if you're just short of suggestions, what about Chardin (http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/chardin/self-easel.jpg) - he is very definitely a Master Pastellist, although he only took them up later in life.

Khadres
02-01-2006, 04:29 AM
Just want to say thanks for the series and altho it's sad to see it go, at least we do have it archived and it will be, as Kat says, a treasure trove of information and inspiration. Thanks again for all your hard work!

A Few Pigments
02-01-2006, 06:01 PM
Hi Diane,
I donít really have a favorite pastel artist. I donít really have a favorite artist in any medium. I guess Iím too focused on my own feelings and thoughts. I donít know what any of the old masters would be doing if they were alive today. Iíd like to think all of them would be artists though.

Hi Katherine,
Ta for your suggestion. I did do a MOP on Chardin. Masters of Pastels-Special Edition-July 2005-Jean Baptiste Simeon Chardin http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3658764#post3658764

One of the problems I found with doing threads on old masters is that there are very few pastel works online and for some and for others there are no pastel works online. I could only find a few pastels online for Chardin and made his thread a Special Edition which I posted the same month as the thread on Masters of Pastels-July 2005- Jean-…tienne Liotard http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279675.

Hi Khadres,
Thereís always sadness when something ends, but every ending is a new beginning and God gave us memories so we could have roses in the winter. I enjoyed doing the threads and if anyone wants to pick up where I left off theyíre more than welcome to do so.

johndill01
02-02-2006, 06:14 PM
Bruce: Just wanted to say thanks for all the time you spent researching the old masters. There were a number of times that this thread kept me going. It always helps to study the masters. Again, many thanks.

John

A Few Pigments
02-02-2006, 10:33 PM
Hi John,
Thank you very much for your kind words. Iím glad you enjoyed the threads. I hope theyíll continue to be useful to the members here.

angecald
02-04-2006, 01:29 PM
Bruce, I would like to add my thanks for the Masters of Pastel threads. They have been truly informative and inspiring. It is sad to see it end, but it's also wonderful to have it all there in the archives for future reference. Thanks again.

A Few Pigments
02-04-2006, 03:23 PM
Hi Agnes,
Thank you very much for your kind words.:)