PDA

View Full Version : Garlic n Onion- Incidental

LarrySeiler
01-31-2006, 05:04 PM
4-1/2" x 6" oil on canvas adhered board

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2006/532-garlic_onionwc2.jpg

here were the steps and thoughts along the way today...

first the reference, seeing what I was seeing of the subject sitting in my light environment box...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2006/532-garlic_onionref.jpg

I decided to tone my panel first with what I anticipated would be opposite colors, complementary and help create some energy, excitement...using turps some blue, some viridian...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2006/532-garlic_oniontone.jpg

It took awhile getting into this painting before I began to believe I had made the right or workable decision in the tone's color. Just how much to allow to be seen poking thru in the background as I built it up, how much to be seen in the shadow. It can go one way or the other..

...here I am blocking in, and beginning to dab in some background color..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2006/532-garlic_onionblockin.jpg

more along the way...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2006/532-garlic_onion4.jpg

and finished...here then a closeup view...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2006/532-garlic_onioncloseupwc.jpg

If you look along contours of the onion and various places in daks, shading, edges I have allowed a certain degree of the original undertone to be seen.

I suppose its a bit like Cezanne's use of complements around his still life objects...though I believe his were painted in and not part of any undertone.

Where rounded edges are concerned, I like to soften or obscure to give a sense of going back into space. I think allowing the undertone to contribute to the contour yet obscures the rounded form/edges...but perhaps with a bit of excitement.

Thanks for looking and comments....

Larry

JamieWG
01-31-2006, 05:33 PM
I like the way the cool shadows of the garlic play against the warm colors of the onion. Always love seeing your setup and progress pics. Thanks once again for taking the time to upload all those images and explanations for us. Nice depth to this little painting.

Jamie

LarrySeiler
01-31-2006, 05:57 PM
thanks Jamie...may try it again tomorrow..only with lights off...as I like the way it appeared in the darks after I clicked the box lights off...

Katherine T
01-31-2006, 06:32 PM
Larry - could you explain your box a bit more. I've seen and used these before but yours is looking a bit different and I'm wondering what you've got going there.

Nice WIP demo

LarrySeiler
01-31-2006, 07:02 PM
just a dumb ole cardboard box Katherine...and I cut a couple holes to put nitelites in. I bought 20 watt and 40 watt bulbs that are more color correct and stronger.

I have one light on top, one on the left side, which you can see here.

I blocked view of the light from my position of looking by have a piece of cardboard hanging down and taped. That way I don't look into glare or light, but only the effects of light....

cheap...crude...but it works! ;)

take care

Katherine T
01-31-2006, 07:15 PM
Aha - I thought you had two sources but couldn't see either - now I know why!

It looks very serviceable to me - except I guess I might be a bit nervous about lights and cardboard so close together. How does the nitelight / colour correct thing work - I've only ever seen the blue natural light bulbs in the UK.

My reason for being so inquisitive is that I'm thinking of asking a carpenter friend of mine to make me a still life box with light source options and flexible adjustable walls - I don't want much!!! :rolleyes:

LarrySeiler
01-31-2006, 07:27 PM
I did a couple incidentals about a week back...(also can be seen on my blog) of the very lightbulbs that I am using. They are round, about 2" in diameter I'd guess...

Don't think the 20 watt or 40 watt gets too hot for the cardboard, but I don't leave it on and exit the room either. If there's a problem, I'm right there...

yeah...a decently crafted box for this would be cool...

pinkrybns
01-31-2006, 08:27 PM
Hi Larry,

All of your " Incidentals" are very " Inspirational", makes me wish I painted in oils! :envy:

:wave: :)

LarrySeiler
01-31-2006, 08:43 PM
haha...well, I do 'em in acrylics as well Judy...just grab any ole everyday thing and run with it!

thanks!

pinkrybns
01-31-2006, 08:47 PM
haha...well, I do 'em in acrylics as well Judy...
thanks!
Right...ok, I wish I painted in oils and/or acrylics! :D :D

They really are quite wonderful Larry. I've looked at them all, so far... something very personal about them is very appealing (no pun intended...onion peels)... slices (oh no pun intended again) of your life/studio.

James or Jimmy Jim
01-31-2006, 08:53 PM
The spice of Life Larry. That's still food Larry. :D :D :D

LarrySeiler
01-31-2006, 09:32 PM
well...we had a theory back in wildlife art, Jimmy...that in painting waterfowl..you always chose species that sportsman loved to eat as well as their families...mallards, woodducks, bluebills...

other ducks less favored would gain less notice, and there seemed to be something to that...
something about food...

kellambrown
02-01-2006, 12:39 AM
I found that this imagining eating the food that you are painting also applies to still life subject selection. While red onions and bananas might provide interesting shape, texture, and color contrasts, I don't imagine them being used in a popular still life.

I am interested, however, in trying creating a still life with a delicate flower or lace and some rusty, greasy old tool or gloves. Might make a very romantically successful piece!

Wayne Gaudon
02-01-2006, 07:21 AM
nice stuff

PS .. Judy, don't wish, just dig in and do it.

LarrySeiler
02-01-2006, 10:32 AM
thanks David...might have a point there...
but don't rule out peanut butter and bananas on toast!!! hee heee ;)

thanks Wayne...
and yepper Judy...as the ole Nike commercial says, "just do it!"