PDA

View Full Version : My painting didn't make it

Bringer
01-31-2006, 09:40 AM
Hi,

The painting I sent to the Pastel 100 contest didn't make to the first 100.
I hope next year I may do it, one never knows....
I was told that there were over 4000 entries.
Now I'm looking forward to see the works that won. I bet there will be lots of great paintings for inspiration.

Kindest regards,

José

Bill Foehringer
01-31-2006, 09:54 AM
Jose', maybe you were 101!!!! Keep working as hard as you can, you have the eye...in the meantime painting itself is the reward. BillF

angel_I
01-31-2006, 10:06 AM
José,
This is true, you were in the running. That is way ahead of what I can do. Can we possibly see the work you submitted? I will bet we will make it a winner here. I am a beginner myself and have not had the courage to post as yet. There are so many great artists here.

"The artist, painter, poet, or musician, by his decoration, sublime or beautiful, satisfies the aesthetic sense; but that is akin to the sexual instinct, and shares its barbarity: he lays before you also the greater gift of himself." Somerset Maugham on writing about Paul Gauguin

jmp
01-31-2006, 10:07 AM
hey, don't feel bad, for years I've been watching Dino Paravono (sp?) take well below first place, and I think he is the best! you've probably seen him there, mostly paints wildlife- you should see what he does on plain old canson paper!
It's a tough competition- and alot of the winners say it's their umpteenth time entering before they win!

angecald
01-31-2006, 10:20 AM
Jose, you did well to even send something to the contest. That takes energy and organization, not to mention courage. 4000 entries, yikes! Try putting yourself in the judges' place, only allowed to choose 100, no matter how many others they like.

Rejection is always hard on our sensitive inner artist, but getting the work out there to be seen is necessary to becoming more professional, and in the long run you'll find that this experience is valuable, perhaps even more than getting accepted would have been. Your work is improving all the time. I think you should treat yourself to some nice new art supplies.

Bringer
01-31-2006, 10:32 AM
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the support and wise words.
Angel, here's the work :

Regards,

José

P.S. sorry for the reduced size

dlake
01-31-2006, 10:42 AM
Jose, I am so sorry you didn't make it but, know this. You are a very good artist and ;your day will come. I think your work is magnificant and wish I could do stuff like you. Dont' give up or feel bad. You have our support and I know ;you will be a great artist someday.
diane

jmp
01-31-2006, 11:34 AM
its me again-
jose, I think the same mag that showed the last pastel 100 also had some information on the judges and exactly what they are looking for- I have the magazine but no time right now, if you are interested in what it says, let me know

PeggyB
01-31-2006, 01:52 PM
If it makes you feel any better Jose, I didn't get chosen either. However, I know it is always a "crap shoot" when it comes to competitions. Especially competitions the size of this one. At least you got some notification regarding your entry - as of today I haven't! That doesn't mean I won't continue to enter competitions. I know enough about the whole process to understand that what a judge chooses one day might not be the same the next day when there is a lot of good work from which to choose. Although there is written criteria for them to follow, when all is said and done and 150 paintings meet the criteria and they can choose only 100 - personal preferences have to come into play. That doesnt mean the same paintings you submit to one place won't be accepted in another so hang in there and keep trying. I consider it a "game"... :D

Peggy

maddy777
01-31-2006, 02:11 PM
Well jose I may not be an art critic or know anyhting about art for that matter :D but I think that's a fab pair of highly polished shoes!!
Good on ya for entering...one day, will happen when you least expect it.
mads:)

Deborah Secor
01-31-2006, 02:34 PM
Since I'm given the privilege of seeing a little bit of the work chosen for the PJ 100 ahead of time, I can assure you that at least in the landscape category the top five will blow you away! There's incredible diversity of style and subject matter, materials used and inspiration.

I always figure if I don't make it into a show, I at least want to agree that those who did made it were excellent (and not feel like I was cheated somehow when I see less than wonderful work was chosen.) I hope you think that when you see the results!

Deborah

Bringer
01-31-2006, 03:10 PM
Hi Peggy,

I didn't get notified, I just know I didn't make it because I wasn't :-)

Deborah, I've entered the competition for fun - of course that it would be great to be in the 100, I won't denie it - but wasn't expecting to achieve it if we are talking logical here.
There are many talented people in this world and if I were among the first 100 then I could probably leave my day job :-)
Anyway, this one won't be the last I enter.

JMP,

The Pastel Journal is available in Portugal, I'll check it on the April issue.
But thank you so much, anyway.

Best regards,

José

PeggyB
01-31-2006, 03:20 PM
Deborah you are right - the work keeps getting stronger with each passing year in TPJ competition. Especially in the landscape division. On a lark, I entered the "abstract" catagory this time - well actually for the first time! It seems in the past I've always intended to enter and then missed the deadline by my own fault... ever done that? LOL
I'm looking forward to seeing the April issue and reading your interviews.
Peggy

K Taylor-Green
01-31-2006, 03:26 PM
Jose', Good for you for trying!! That's a sign of a winner, in my book anyway.

fortysomething
01-31-2006, 06:19 PM
Jose, your painting didn't make it into the publication. It got into the show! :cool:

Nice work. I hope you share next year's entry with us as well.

KJSCL
01-31-2006, 07:12 PM
Jose, good for you for entering!! You should tell yourself to look at it like BillF pointed out - You were 101.

BTW - love the composition and subject matter of your painting. You did a wonderful job making an ordinary subject interesting :)

Khadres
01-31-2006, 07:17 PM
That's a great entry you had there...the winners must be truly stunning...can't wait to see them!

Your courage in entering at all is a giant step forward for you and an inspiration to all of us who hang back and fear to take the plunge! Good for you and thanks!

edithbear
02-05-2007, 01:45 PM
I entered and still havent heard yet either. Does that mean that I wasnt one of the winners too?

PeggyB
02-05-2007, 03:07 PM
edithbear, you may want to note that the date of Jose's thread was January 31 - 2006 so you need not worry yet about your work. :)

Peggy

edithbear
02-05-2007, 03:18 PM
Duh! I am so embarrased! Thanks for letting me know!:o Has anyone heard yet?

edithbear, you may want to note that the date of Jose's thread was January 31 - 2006 so you need not worry yet about your work. :)

Peggy

Bringer
02-05-2007, 04:55 PM

Peggy

Hi,

But...aren't we in 2008 ?:rolleyes:

Kind regards,

José

PeggyB
02-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Hi,

But...aren't we in 2008 ?:rolleyes:

Kind regards,

José

Oh gosh José I certainly hope not! In the U.S. that means it is a presidential election year, and I am so not looking forward to that! It has started already, and I'm tired of the controversy/negative speaches/lies/etc., and it isn't 2008! :evil:

Peggy

Mike_Beeman
02-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Jose,
I couldn't agree more with what peggy said...different year, different judge...different results! The important thing is not to get discouraged or give up....you're doing some great work and it just continues to get better...your day will come!

If it makes you feel any better Jose, I didn't get chosen either. However, I know it is always a "crap shoot" when it comes to competitions. Especially competitions the size of this one. At least you got some notification regarding your entry - as of today I haven't! That doesn't mean I won't continue to enter competitions. I know enough about the whole process to understand that what a judge chooses one day might not be the same the next day when there is a lot of good work from which to choose. Although there is written criteria for them to follow, when all is said and done and 150 paintings meet the criteria and they can choose only 100 - personal preferences have to come into play. That doesnt mean the same paintings you submit to one place won't be accepted in another so hang in there and keep trying. I consider it a "game"... :D

Peggy

Bringer
02-07-2007, 04:30 PM
Hi Mike,

Thank you for you incentivating words. However this enter took place in 2006 :-)
This thread was «fished» by Edithbear, which I hope may get the chance to be between the first 100.

Best regards,

José

Mike_Beeman
02-11-2007, 11:55 PM
Hi Jose
Noticed that after I posted...what can I say?