PDA

View Full Version : Finished: Square Sunflowers

JamieWG
01-30-2006, 01:19 PM
The finished painting:

12x12"
oil, canvas covered hardboard with extra primer
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Feb-2006/13766-square_sunflowers_done_500.jpg

My WIP images are below.......

A new day, a new canvas....

I put the setup together last night and decided to go 12x12 because I already have a square gold frame that will work nicely for this. (I changed placement of the individual flowers since taking this pic, so flowers in the painting aren't going to match up with this image):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2006/13766-square_sunflowers_setup_500.jpg

Just finished the transparent red oxide underpainting:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2006/13766-square_sunflowers_wip1_underpainting_500.jpg

Then I had to stop because the studio mascot wanted to play. :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2006/13766-square_sunflowers_mascot_500.jpg

Now you all know who The Boss is around here! I'm off to work this afternoon, so will hopefully finish this one up tomorrow. Flowers are fake this time, so no wilting worries. :D

C&C welcome.

Jamie

ChuckL
01-30-2006, 03:10 PM
I see your mascot likes pillows too Jamie!! Nice start on the Suns, i like seeing the setup photo as well....chuck

JamieWG
01-30-2006, 05:03 PM
I see your mascot likes pillows too Jamie!! Nice start on the Suns, i like seeing the setup photo as well....chuck

Thanks so much, Chuck. It turns out I don't have to work tonight after all, so perhaps I'll get to do more with this after all. I pulled some more lights out of the horse, and will dive in with color shortly.

What would we do without our studio mascots? I just love having my little guy here with me all that time. :)

I wish more folks would show their setup photos. They are so much fun to see, and give a real insiders view of how somebody works. Maybe we need a thread for everybody to show their still life setup pics.

Jamie

James or Jimmy Jim
01-30-2006, 08:40 PM
Looking very good Jamie.

Katherine T
01-30-2006, 08:50 PM
I want to look out your window - that glimpse was intriguing!

Jamie - why have you gone for the bright blue background? Have you tried other colours?

My set-up this evening involved me in the armchair, drawing board on lap, pencils in tubs on table to my left, light coming over left shoulder and directed at subject which is jug in plate sat on arm of chair to my right and feet up on the tuffet - not very complicated..........but very comfortable.;):D

JamieWG
01-30-2006, 10:10 PM
Thanks, Jimmy!

I want to look out your window - that glimpse was intriguing!
Here ya go, Katherine...Late afternoon from the studio window:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2006/13766-lakeshore_tree_lit_up1_500.jpg

Jamie - why have you gone for the bright blue background? Have you tried other colours?

Oh, yes. :) The blue is there because as the complement, it will pop the sunflowers. I also needed something close to the value of the chest, so that won't pop too much. The blue won't be so bright because it will be very heavily neutralized by the wet trans red oxide bleeding through from underneath. It'll work out fine. :)

(Edit to put in a pic of the color start, so you can see what I mean about the background blending....)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2006/13766-square_sunflowers_wip2_500.jpg

Your evening setup sounds luxurious and comfortable. Looking forward to seeing it....

Jamie

Chouchou
01-30-2006, 10:13 PM
Jamie ... is your mascot a Bichon? My little mascot is a mélange of some breeds that might include a Bichon ... as indicated by his great personality and love of people. He would like it if I did more plein air (more people to meet).

I'm looking forward to seeing the sunflowers progress ...

And, what a view from your window ... it looks imminently paintable!

JamieWG
01-30-2006, 10:43 PM
Jamie ... is your mascot a Bichon? My little mascot is a mélange of some breeds that might include a Bichon ... as indicated by his great personality and love of people. He would like it if I did more plein air (more people to meet).

Chouchou, yes, he's a bichon! However, he's a real wimp. He hates going painting---even just outside to the lake! He cries within 20 minutes to go home. He'd much rather be sleeping on his pillows. He's a total wuss. LOL

Thanks so much for checking in! I hope to finish this up tomorrow, with maybe a few leftover brushstrokes for Wednesday. :)

Jamie

Wayne Gaudon
01-31-2006, 07:16 AM
looking good already .. green with envy over your property!

Katherine T
01-31-2006, 07:25 AM
I love the view Jamie - so you're not going to have much a problem when the monthly project is "Water"?

Your evening setup sounds luxurious and comfortable. Looking forward to seeing it....
You mean I actually have to tidy up Jamie?

JanB
01-31-2006, 07:25 AM
Jamie...I'm so glad you've been doing the trans.red ox. underpaintings. I'd forgotten about doing that and since you mentioned it a couple of posts ago I've been using it and I'm really pleased with the results...funny how we forget about things! This piece is looking good already...I like the comp and that you pulled the pov in close to the objects it creates a great design particularly the line that runs down the right side of the flowers along the vase and then continues with the curviness of the little horse, it gives that whole right side of the canvas a great shape. I think that's the reason I know this is going to be so successful all the large shapes in this are very interesting....can't wait to see it with the color in there!!

rosebard
01-31-2006, 08:06 AM
Hi Jamie, this is lovely start.

I understand now why you started with the red oxide transparent. So you work on it (the underpainting) sort of still wet?

What a lovely dog!! So cute!! :)

DLGardner
01-31-2006, 10:49 AM
Hi Jamie,
When you said square sunflowers I thought the sunflowers were going to be square...duh!

This is looking really good! I love the close up.
Your yard is fantastic! I think we should start a studio thread just for fun we are all getting to know each other so well here!

I'm having an open studio next week and I'll post all our pictures as we work. If no one else does by then, I'll start a thread for studio photos.

That little horse really adds character to the picture. I like it. Its going to be a seller!

Dianne

JamieWG
01-31-2006, 11:58 AM
Wayne, c'mon over and paint anytime!

Katherine, I think that's why I'm mainly a plein air painter, though I mostly paint the Hudson.

Jan, so glad you like the comp! It was your square plant painting that reminded me I have a bunch of 12x12s here and a 12x12 frame too. It's hip to be square. LOL

Rose, I've worked over trans red oxide underpaintings wet and dry and in between. I like working them wet. My last painting, I did the underpainting in alkyd so it dried overnight. But then I didn't get as much of the advantage of the underpainting coming through. When the painting was done, I felt I could have done without the extra step since not much of it showed. It's a nice technique to work with, and of course you can experiment with using different colors, not just trans red oxide. I like the warmth of TRO, so tend to use that most of the time when I do this technique. My doggie, Rondo, thanks you for the compliment to him. :D

Diane, I'll join your studio thread! I keep rearranging it all the time, depending on what I'm working on. I'm so glad you like the little horse. It's a Louise King sculpture. She is best known for these "Mud Ponies". My sis got me one every year for Christmas for a few years, so I have a lil herd of them. They are very good models and have made it into a number of paintings. They don't need breaks every 20 minutes either! :D

Here's an update:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2006/13766-square_sunflowers_wip3b_adj_500.jpg

Still lots left to do, and some value corrections and color changes....Hopefully will finish it up this afternoon.

Jamie

Katherine T
01-31-2006, 12:41 PM
Jamie - I'm not going to comment until you've finished but here's a tip relating to the blues - I've had exactly the same problem in the past and was driven nearly scatty until I found the "fix".

If you've got PS Elements or any other graphics program which allows you to alter colour families then adjust the blues or the cyans depending on which one you think might be causing the problem.

So on PS Elements this would be:

Menu - enhance
adjust colour
adjust hue/saturation
In the Edit window, select "Blue"
then try fiddling with the controls below for hue, saturation and lightness until you get a more accurate colour balance within the picture. You may need to fiddle more than one colour.

JamieWG
01-31-2006, 12:46 PM
Thanks, Katherine. I took another pic in a different part of the house and swapped the images....So the background color is pretty close now in the photo above. I really appreciate the instructions cause I just bought Elements! I haven't even loaded it onto my computer yet, but I'm glad to hear that I'll have a good way to deal with The Blues. :D

Jamie

Katherine T
01-31-2006, 01:53 PM
I've got a book by a guy called David Plotkin (published by McGraw Hill) which is called "How to do Everything with Photoshop Elements 3" (I did ask it to cook the Sunday Dinner but it wasn't having any!) I guess you've got version 4 rather than 3 but I would think there would be a new version of the book out to cover that. I haven;t read it from cover to cover but everytime I want to find out how to do something it's provided me with the answer I need.

When you've got it loaded have some fun with the "Auto Fix"! You'll see what I mean once you've got started.

frisbee1948
01-31-2006, 03:46 PM
Here ya go, Katherine...Late afternoon from the studio window:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2006/13766-lakeshore_tree_lit_up1_500.jpg

Oh my goodness, Jamie. All of your trees have died! :evil:

JamieWG
01-31-2006, 03:50 PM
Oh my goodness, Jamie. All of your trees have died! :evil:

ROFLOL! Wait till I show you a pic with SNOW! :D

Katherine, thanks for the heads up on that book. I'm going to look for it right now. :)

Jamie

JamieWG
02-01-2006, 11:36 AM
Whew! Unless somebody sees something glaringly wrong (in which case please speak now or...... LOL), this one is done. I had a wonderful time with this painting. I generally can't be inspired by a setup with artificial flowers, but this one really fired me up! Too much fun to be legal.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Feb-2006/13766-square_sunflowers_done_500.jpg

I'll add the image to the first post here too, to save everybody the scrolling to see the final.

Jamie

DLGardner
02-01-2006, 11:42 AM
Right on Jamie! This looks fab! I can see why you had so much fun. Your glass is fantastic, the horse crisp and clear and your flowers a deliciously expressive and they don't look artificial either! This is a keeper, rather I mean...a seller!
Don't you love it when that happens!
Dianne

Katherine T
02-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Ditto - literally! Dianne got there first and said absolutely all the things I wanted to say! Except I'm glad that blue background went ceruleanish ;)

JamieWG
02-01-2006, 11:56 AM
Thanks so much, Dianne and Katherine. This one just might end up being a Valentine's Day present for hubby. I'm glad I was able to finish it today cause that means I can start on the interior scene project tomorrow! :D

Jamie

ChuckL
02-01-2006, 01:36 PM
beautiful!!...love the vase especially.
...chuck

JamieWG
02-02-2006, 12:22 PM
beautiful!!...love the vase especially.
...chuck

Thank you, Chuck. The vase was fun; the reflections in it were so interesting. It was the first time I ever painted that particular vase. It was in the bathroom on a shelf, filled with potpourri! Next time I'll paint it with live flowers. ;)

Jamie

LeeHaber
02-02-2006, 01:30 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

JamieWG
02-02-2006, 07:13 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I really appreciate the round of applause, Lee. :) Many thanks.

Jamie

LarrySeiler
02-02-2006, 07:26 PM
think this is one of my still lifes of yours Jamie...wow, love it. Gonna call my wife over to look at this one...just a minute...

Ooohhh...Honeyyyyyyyyy....c'mere once....

Yep...she likes it...the deep blue, the reflection. I like the subdued sunflowers in shade too which realy sets off the depth on this one!!!! :clap:

ColorMyWorld
02-02-2006, 07:56 PM
This is great! And that blue vase is wonderful!

JamieWG
02-03-2006, 10:06 PM
Larry and Ann, many thanks! And Larry, please thank your wife for me for coming over and taking a look. :)

Jamie