PDA

View Full Version : Finished: Gulp - First from life WIP

Chouchou
01-30-2006, 12:37 PM
Since joining WC a couple of months ago, I'm finding myself spending more and more time on this channel ... Seems like some of the best artists inhabit this particular space!

I started oil painting again about a year ago after a 20-year break, and have been doing lots of "cheater" work from photos.

This is my first painting from life since art school, it's a WIP, and I am eager to improve ... so fire away with your C&C's.

Oils on 9 x 12" board ... about 90 minutes, including drawing time.

Sorry about the bad photo; it's pouring in buckets here, and my only photo opp was under my office's glaring flourescents!

JamieWG
01-30-2006, 01:13 PM
I think your orange is beautifully done and I love the way it pops against the blue-violet cloth. Looking forward to following this till the end. *pulling up a chair* :)

Chouchou, the best way to improve is definitely working from life. I don't really consider work from photos to be cheating---just boring! LOL... In all seriousness, I just feel working from life is so much more personal, and certainly leads to vastly improved skills in rendering, color, and drawing. It's always a challenge! I'm so glad to see you here taking it on!

Jamie

Chouchou
01-30-2006, 04:16 PM
Thanks, Jamie!

Wayne Gaudon
02-01-2006, 08:10 AM
I like the simplicity of approach with the broad brush work. The glass/cup ? in my opinion needs more finish. At least the piece made it off the table; I was working an orange, grapefruit, and bottles last night and it made it as far as the G file. I just couldn't make it work. LOL .. Keep them coming.

JanB
02-01-2006, 08:30 AM
Welcome!! This is coming along splendidly...the orange as Jamie said is looking very nice...you've also done well with the complex candlestick....and I like the cloth especially on the right side.....keep going with this....you're doing just fine!!

LarrySeiler
02-01-2006, 10:36 AM
the best advice I can give you...after reading your title incuding "Gulp" in it...is to do lots and lots of paintings. The eyes benefit from the seeing.

Keep in mind that painting is a way of "deeper seeing"...so painting you will see more. In seeing more you will paint the more. Its circular.

I've often said it takes 120 bad paintings to learn something about painting...and I love Winston Churchill's quote that says,
"Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiam!"

so...don't gulp...instead, leap...
don't wade...splash, jump and dive in...

your work looks as expected from what you've described from years of not doing it...but it also shows potential of what is yet to come if you roll up your sleeves. Now...just do it! ;)

glad you posted...no time to lurk

Chouchou
02-01-2006, 10:55 PM
Thank you all for taking the time to comment ... another hour of painting on this piece, and I might have ruined it. Worked on filling in the glass (why I chose to include a cut-crystal aperitif glass in my first still life since eons, I don't know!) ... and it is patently awful. Looking for more "pop" in the darks, I whipped out my long-neglected tube of ivory black. My palette usually includes only titanium white, cad yellow light, q red, phtalo blue and raw sienna. Now, that black doesn't just go "pop," it goes "BOOM".

I am not daunted. I might try and fix this little piece. Might not. Either way, I'll be spending the next few hours painting something! More soon ... and thanks again for the valuable encouragement!

Chouchou
02-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Well ... it turned out better than I feared -- except for the leaning glass. :(

This is my first, and I am eager to learn! Please, please, please criticize away ... and I'll continue working on the second one, posting when it's further along.

Thanks in advance for helping me to improve ...

JanB
02-08-2006, 04:19 PM
You've got a good handle on the light source and and have done an excellent job with the cloth and the orange, also the glass, even though it's leaning :D . Watch you elipses around the candlestick some of them aren't straight...the leaning and the elipses are just little technical things. Practice mixing nice rich darks without the black, I think the color between the background and the objects would be better if there wasn't any black in the mix. YOu've got a great beginning here just keep painting and posting!!

Chouchou
02-08-2006, 07:14 PM
Thanks so much for commenting, Jan ... and for the encouragement. But thanks especially much for the pointers!

yippiotey
02-08-2006, 08:23 PM
First I must preface this by saying I am not a painter!!! And I admire those who can! You're light years ahead of me........I've done lots of drawings, but no paintings. I was cruising thru this channel and saw your WIP. I'm impressed!

As far as critiques go.....and this by NO means is criticism!...what hit me about the leaning glass is that the perspective is a little wobbly. It appears that the "openness" of the glass' top circle is wider than the circle made by its base......and that the circle made by the candlestick's base is more related to the glass' top circle.

Maybe closing the glass' top circle a bit would make it appear more in perspective. And matching the candlestick's base to the glass' base would help as well.

And the top (though we don't see it) of the candlestick is the flattest circle yet (which it would be by some degree because it's higher in our perspective).

Is this making any sense? Hope I'm not being too confusing!

Deb

JamieWG
02-09-2006, 08:31 AM
Well with this being your first from life in so long, I am really impressed! The brass is especially well done, and the difficult fabric folds work well. I'm not crazy about the background---would prefer something more inviting.

Looking forward to the second one. Will we get to see it soon?

(I'm going to update your thread title to let folks know this one is now finished, so hopefully they'll come look again.)

Jamie