PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with my color?

Geoff
02-09-2002, 09:49 AM
From my original post "Why is it". I was asked to post a painting etc for guidance on where I'm likley to be going wrong with colour.

a) I've rarely seen anyone paint - so that's not a good start. ( see c) )
b) Good books there are, but they go from stage 1 to stage 2 in a painting in a flash !!!.
c) Videos and TV programs also go from stage to stage as if it just happens.

I know the posted images are poor in some accuracy, what I'm trying to do, at this stage, is concentrate on the colour.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Geoff
02-09-2002, 09:52 AM
It looks better as a computer iage, than it does on the canvas !!!

Another one..

bruin70
02-09-2002, 03:00 PM
what are you trying to do with color?

what don't you like about your color?

what were your problems with either/both paintings?

why did you use yellow the way you did in the second painting?

these look like oils scumbled on canvas. is this your first time? did you use oil medium?...........{M}

Geoff
02-10-2002, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by bruin70
what are you trying to do with color?

what don't you like about your color?

what were your problems with either/both paintings?

why did you use yellow the way you did in the second painting?

these look like oils scumbled on canvas. is this your first time? did you use oil medium?...........{M}

HI,

I am trying to use colour in a painting in order to bring it more towards reality ( not-necessarily realism ). I'm trying to move on from monochrome drawing.

The colour in the paintings looks lifeless ( ironically the electronic image gives a better picture with more definition, than in the original ).

Problems with both paintings were numerous, but probably could be traced to a lack of experience and guidance.

The yellow, in the second painting was an attempt to place the highlights, and yellow was used largely because it is a component of all the other colours used in the pallet.
( White, Crimson, Ultramarine Blue, Yellow Ochre ).

The paints used were Acrylics, and yes it is my first.

( From small beginnings - the acorn - do mighty oaks grow, ).Well, at least an odd sappling !!!! ...:o :)

Dima
02-10-2002, 12:22 PM
Hi Geoff,

You might want to try this: substitute your yellow ochre for a more lively and chromatic yellow like a PY3 or a PY74.
Cover your canvas or paper all over with this yellow.
Then you start drawing/painting with a transparent red and next with your ultramarine.
Keep things as transparent as you can and see how far you can get.
This is the transparent phase and all mixing is done on the canvas/paper.
(My 'Torso' in the WC Gallery forum was done this way) http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32241

Now you may add white to you colours and you mix your colours on the palette. This is the opaque phase and contrary to the transparent phase you now work from dark to light.

My 'Beautymodel' in the Acrylics forum http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32397
is the result of this method using the W&N Galeria paints:
Cad yellow pale hue
Vermillion hue
French ultramarine
Titanium white

It is a great method for learning about colours and I hope it will help you.

regards, Dick

bruin70
02-10-2002, 10:41 PM
start with ivory black, white, and yellow ochre. only use YO to warm an area or mix with white.

put on your logic cap and reason out where and why you will use your three colors. ie,,,if yellow is your warmest, what will be your coolest? THAT will be the range of warm to cool that you will use with these colors.

you can set up several basic color scales from these three colors. a range from white to black,,,a range from white to YO,,,a range from YO to black (you will notice that this combo will give you a range of greens),,,a range from white to green( YO + black will give you the green),,,a range of white to black with a little YO thrown in to give a little warmth,,,and anything else you can think of.

also note,,,you can make a color APPEAR warmer or cooler by placing it next to or surrounding it with a cooler or warmer color. ie,,,grey looks cooler when surrounded by yellow. yellow looks darker next to white and brilliant next to black.

do this and experiment until you master this combination of colors.

post your paintings. let's see your progress. be creative with combinations.(did you know you can make a light grey also appear blueish by glazing the translucent grey over solid black? EXPERIMENT!!!....{M}

djstar
02-11-2002, 01:27 AM
Remember the value OF the color.
BAD color will work if you get the gray equivalents right!
does this?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2002/uno.jpg
dj*

bruin70
02-11-2002, 03:55 AM
yes,,,,values. and as you can see in DJ's post, the face gets lost in a grey scale....{M}

Geoff
02-11-2002, 12:09 PM
Many thanks all,

Yes the picture does tend to 'disappear' in all the greyness - that's probably what's wrong with it, it looks lifeless.

I'll give your ideas a try, pity I can't find a way to see the value of each colour before it's on the painting? ? ?

I've already discovered the value of taking a picture of the end painting and processing it as monochrome. Digital camera and PC are wonderful tools.

TPS
02-11-2002, 05:53 PM
Try this to get a handle on the value of colors. Paint some squares on heavy w/c paper; 7 equally spaced gray values from black through white. When dry, cut or punch a single small hole in the center of each square. These can then be placed over any color swatch to check its value. With experience you will learn to estimate the values more correctly. Keep in mind that the relative value of a color will appear different as they are placed within the picture, because adjoining colors will not be so precise and isolated as your gray squares.