PDA

View Full Version : Goddess of the Hunt

JamieWG
01-29-2006, 12:56 PM
This is Dianna, Goddess of the Hunt, though I'm titling the piece "Red Feather" because of the focal point. She's paired with an American Indian smudge pot that I got at a pow-wow containing a bundle of sage and two feathers from an African Grey parrot, given to me by the bird's owner.

I bought this little statue on Ebay for a song and I just love it to pieces as a painting subject. It's always challenging, and the brass color is so delicious.

Red Feather
8x10, oils on canvas-covered hardboard
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2006/13766-Diana_and_Red_Feather_done_450adj.jpg

My palette:
transparent red oxide
cad red light
cad yellow light
yellow ochre
ultramarine blue
cobalt blue
titanium white

Here's my underpainting. I did something different this time and used Griffin (alkyd oil) burnt sienna so that the underpainting would get stiff quickly. From there, I switched to traditional oils and Liquin.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2006/13766-Diana_and_Red_Feather_wip1_underpainting_450.jpg

I know how much you all love seeing setup pics, so here's my setup for this one:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2006/13766-Diana_and_Red_Feather_done_setup_500.jpg

This one was way fun to paint and very challenging. It would have been much less so on both counts from a photo. I'm so glad we have this forum! Thanks so much for looking and your comments...

Jamie

JanB
01-29-2006, 05:24 PM
OK.... I LOVE THIS!! I want a neat classical type statue to paint too! AND I want neat pots and jars to put my paint brushes in LOL I need to clean up my working area and make a space to set up still life stuff the right way :D This is sooo well done love all the different surfaces and the play of warm and cool colors.

JamieWG
01-29-2006, 06:03 PM
Jan, I'm so glad you said something! Thanks so much. I was up to 20+ views and no replies...Thought OMG, there must be something really wrong with this! I was about to put it back on the easel and start reworking it. (I might do that anyway, cause now I see plenty that I don't like.)

So glad you like it. You are welcome to come over for a day, paint Diana, and share my studio space anytime. I'd love the company. :)

The "fancy setup" is just an old box with a fabric remnant over it, set upon the window ledge that runs around the room. The navy blue background is an old pillowcase taped to the wall. :D I use an old reflector-type garage clamp-lamp and clip that to whatever is convenient at the time.

Jamie

James or Jimmy Jim
01-29-2006, 06:31 PM
Jamie, what were you thinking of redoing?

JamieWG
01-29-2006, 07:08 PM
Jamie, what were you thinking of redoing?

Jimmy, I don't like the way the edges of the bases of the objects meet the table surface. It's just too harsh against that light surface. I'm thinking of either putting down a tapestry-like table runner underneath that will be closer in value and color to the objects, or doing some kind of fabric drapery over a corner of the statue base and partially in front of the pot, on a diagonal, to break up those hard edges a little. What do you think?

Jamie

James or Jimmy Jim
01-29-2006, 07:27 PM
Jamie, what you mentioned could help, or you could just lighten the edges of the bases a little.

I have a little (emphasize little) problem with the shadows behind the objects. I really like the variety of value that they add in the background, but I find them a bit strong and distracting. I know that they are there in the set up, but the art director in me (get out, now!) feels that they should be "merged" with the background a little more, especially at the left side.

I know that that's (say that again :D ) a little vague, so, maybe save the advice for the next painting with a shadow like that, or tell me to stuff it :D. Either way, I know I'm right. :evil: :D I think. :D

JamieWG
01-29-2006, 07:49 PM
Thank you for your thoughts, Jim. If I do make the foreground change, then I'll dip back into that shadow too. You can see that the actual background was a very dark navy blue. I didn't want to make my background quite so dark, but in that case I should have thought to lighten the shadow a hair also. You've got a great eye.

Jamie

James or Jimmy Jim
01-29-2006, 08:05 PM
You've got a great eye.

Jamie

I bet you say that to all the guys. :D

It's still a very good painting!

jmp
01-29-2006, 08:49 PM
well jamie, here i am ( you sent me a pm to invite me personally, i' so flattered )

I'm kind of new, but never wasted any time lurking, just jumped right in and gave my opinion wherever I wanted. Made a few friends, alienated some others....oh well, not everyone can be crazy about me.

I like your painting - and your studio set up, and I'd really like to participate here so I'm borrowing my brothers old digital camera- he just got a new one and hopefully I'll be able to figure out how to post my work.

This forum wasn't here a few weeks ago when i joined, was it? How do they decide on new forums, are they requested by members?

Jennifer

LarrySeiler
01-29-2006, 11:08 PM
nice piece Jamie...cool subject.

Really like that block in...an art piece in and of itself!

Larry

DLGardner
01-30-2006, 12:51 AM
Hi Jamie,
This looks like a fun project to paint! And thanks for showing us your set up too. I would leave it as is personally. Its a lovely little painting.

Good job!

Dianne
(sorry for the late response, been absent for a few days due to grandchildren!)

Katherine T
01-30-2006, 04:19 AM
Jan, I'm so glad you said something! Thanks so much. I was up to 20+ views and no replies...Thought OMG, there must be something really wrong with this! I was about to put it back on the easel and start reworking it. (I might do that anyway, cause now I see plenty that I don't like.)Jamie - I think the forum might be getting a lot of "lurkers" :cool: from WC members who are not used to working from life hence the high number of views relative to posts - I've noticed the same thing happening on other threads - and it seems to be happening much more than elsewhere on WC. Maybe we need a Welcome to Lurkers thread? ;)

I agree with Jim - that's a very powerful shape and tone behind the statue. Did you try the bust at different distances from the background in order to see what the options were with the shadow? Also have you tried a piece of thin gauze over darker fabrics to lighten them?

My main comment would be to suggest that you put it into greyscale - I think you might find that the tonal range suggested by the photo is not reflected in the painting as yet. Althought that could of course could be flash reflection problems..........

JamieWG
01-30-2006, 08:29 AM
well jamie, here i am ( you sent me a pm to invite me personally, i' so flattered )

I'm kind of new, but never wasted any time lurking, just jumped right in and gave my opinion wherever I wanted. Made a few friends, alienated some others....oh well, not everyone can be crazy about me.

I like your painting - and your studio set up, and I'd really like to participate here so I'm borrowing my brothers old digital camera- he just got a new one and hopefully I'll be able to figure out how to post my work.

This forum wasn't here a few weeks ago when i joined, was it? How do they decide on new forums, are they requested by members?

Jennifer

Hey, Jennifer, glad to see you made it over here. After seeing your post stating that you wanted to start working from life, I just had to invite you!

No, this subforum wasn't here a few weeks ago, but it is rather hard to find in any case, being buried beneath the Plein Air forum heading. Subforums are generally selected by the Moderators and Guides of the particular forum in combination with the site administrators. In this case, we polled the Plein Air forum members on it too to get their feedback.

Brand new forums are created by posting a poll in the Site Discussions forum. If enough interest is generated, the staff may then decide to create a new forum for the subject/medium being discussed. :)

Welcome aboard. Hope to see some of your work here soon.

Jamie

JamieWG
01-30-2006, 08:30 AM
I bet you say that to all the guys. :D

It's still a very good painting!

No, not all. ;) LOL

Glad you like it, Jimmy.

Jamie

JamieWG
01-30-2006, 08:33 AM
nice piece Jamie...cool subject.

Really like that block in...an art piece in and of itself!

Larry

Larry, thank you re: the blockin.....I think though that I don't like that Griffin alkyd as much as regular oils. Look at how blotchy it is. It did dry up really fast and that enabled me to paint right over it; however, that also separated the layers more, so I didn't get the kind of unification in this painting that I generally get with an underpainting like that. I was hoping for a much warmer result as the underpainting came through, but it was just about obliterated. I'm going to revert to standard oils for the underpainting, though this was an interesting experiment.

Jamie

JamieWG
01-30-2006, 08:39 AM
Jamie - I think the forum might be getting a lot of "lurkers" :cool: from WC members who are not used to working from life hence the high number of views relative to posts - I've noticed the same thing happening on other threads - and it seems to be happening much more than elsewhere on WC. Maybe we need a Welcome to Lurkers thread? ;)

Heeheehee...Perhaps you're right, Katherine! I didn't think about that. Feel free to start a thread if you'd like to. :)

I agree with Jim - that's a very powerful shape and tone behind the statue. Did you try the bust at different distances from the background in order to see what the options were with the shadow?
Actually, I positioned the statue specifically to get that really dark shadow, and added the dark background to get it even darker. I wanted to use the dark, cool background to bring out the warm lights in the statue and the red feather. The shadow isn't the dead black that appears in the photo of the painting, just as it's not the dead black that appears in the photo of the setup! It's actually a purplish-blue. I'm thinking I kinda like it, on further examination. It does do what I intended it to do.

I'll try the greyscale experiment later. Good idea. :)

Thanks, Katherine!

Jamie