PDA

View Full Version : First Group Show

LostInWonderArt
01-29-2006, 11:44 AM
Hello,
Last night was the opening party for my first group show. It was through the Butler Museum of Art in Youngstown, at the Trumball branch. There were 153 pieces chosen from about 350 entries. Both pieces I entered were accepted. Here's some pictures from the party. In the 2nd picture, I'm standing next to one of the pieces. In the the third picture, my other piece is to the left of the wall sculpture piece.

Maureen

dlake
01-29-2006, 12:22 PM
You do such lovelly work. How was your work accepted? Tell us about the night.
diane

jmp
01-29-2006, 02:47 PM
congratulations! So exciting- did you evesdrop on people when they were looking at your work?

PeggyB
01-29-2006, 03:10 PM
Wow Maureen - the Butler Museum of Art - I don't know how many others may know this, but it's pretty impressive to be able to list on you cv that you've exhibited there. The Pastel Society of America had a members' group show there a few years ago. Congratulations, and my you continue to soar:clap:
Peggy

Bringer
01-29-2006, 05:09 PM
Hi,

I also long to have my paintings exhibited, but I guess it will take a long time. And if I ever will of course.
Congratulations !
Your works are rather good and the exhibition seems quite pleasant.

Regards,

Josť

LostInWonderArt
01-29-2006, 07:23 PM
Even though it is the Butler Museum of Art, this isn't the main one in Youngstown. This is called the Trumbull branch, which is just outside of Youngstown (in the boonies, where men with no teeth flipped me the bird when they sped past me on the highway in their rusted pick up trucks).

I read about the show, called for the application, and immediately had to turn around and send slides back. Then, I got a postcard in the mail about my pieces, and I just assumed that they were rejected. It took me the whole elevator ride up to my apartment for it to actually hit me that I got in.

I saw a few people talking about a piece, and I saw a few people getting really close and staring at my other piece. But, there were two guys playing really loud horns, and I couldn't hear. I don't know if I wanted to hear, but my friend, Debby, was more than willing to be the eavesdropper on my behalf. It was just so hard to hear.

Maureen

KJSCL
01-29-2006, 09:29 PM
Congratulations Maureen. Main museum or not, its still an honor.

PeggyB
01-29-2006, 09:42 PM
Awh, but it is still a museum, and that "counts". Your part of Ohio has some very tough competition so having your work chosen is an honor. Had to laugh at the description of the area though...

Peggy

PS Do other people find loud music at art openings as disruptive & irritating as I do? I like to be able to talk to other people and hear what they are saying without having to shout or stand so close to them I worry they can smell my breath - LOL

LostInWonderArt
01-30-2006, 08:44 AM
Peggy,
I think live music is "expected" at these kinds of events. But, I don't think they realize that having live music in these spaces is kind of noise overload. I think they should decide if this is a gallery event or a music event. Obviously, it should be a gallery event, so the music shouldn't overpower the works on display. Soft music piped in would be just fine.
Maureen