PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Pastel Paper to Foam Board

johnferro
01-28-2006, 06:05 PM
Is there a process to mounting pastel paper to foam board prior to painting?

Paula Ford
01-28-2006, 06:21 PM
Hello John, Welcome to the Pastel Forum!!

I mount Wallis paper to acid-free foam core by using this https://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-supply/catalogs/0064530000000

I cut it into strips or little squares or sometimes I use a whole sheet.

Hope that helps.

Paula

Katherine T
01-28-2006, 06:48 PM
Good idea Paula - how big are your little squares relative to the size of the sheet of Wallis?

Paula Ford
01-28-2006, 06:51 PM
Maybe 1 1/2" x 1 1/2". Most of the time I use strips to mount down all 4 sides of the Wallis paper.

This stuff REALLY works!! And it's really easy to work with.

Paula

PeggyB
01-28-2006, 07:57 PM
You can also use 3M Professional spray mount (fixative). It will provide an overall covering of the paper to foam core, and hold like iron even if you don't have the vacuum press that frame shops use as a final "pressing".

Peggy

dlake
01-28-2006, 08:09 PM
Wow. I feel so amature. I use tape.
diane

PeggyB
01-29-2006, 03:32 PM
Wow. I feel so amature. I use tape.
diane

Diane I love your sense of humor :) or maybe you read the question differently than I did. I too use tape to mount the paper to foam core prior to painting, but then I don't want a premanent mounting which is how I read John's question.

Peggy

PS you're no "amature", and your rose painting proves it. :cat:

Shari
01-29-2006, 06:08 PM
I tried the adhesive tape that you mention Paula, but it didn't stay put; eventually my walis paper came away from the board. I have gone back to using 3m spray mount adhesive and it works great, you just have to do it outdoors, but I do several at a time.

Bill Foehringer
01-31-2006, 12:41 PM
Do you have acrylic gesso? I am currently experimenting with the use of regular acrylic gesso to fasten Wallis Museum to 1/8" masonite panels. I should know in the next day or so if the panels warp. Painted the backs of these panels with one coat of flat latex wall paint. We'll see. Tonight I pull them out from under the weights after 24hrs. I'll leave them lay around for a couple of days to see if they change shape.
I do know that when I applied acrylic gesso to foam core w/Bienfang archival paper both sides had to be coated with the same number of layers of gesso or the board would warp. Gesso shrinks as it dries. I did this so that I could do oil painting charts. They worked fine for that although the low tack tape I used to separate the colors pulled some patches of gesso away from the paper. Actually the paper delaminated not the bond between the paper and the gesso.
BillF

johnferro
02-18-2006, 10:41 PM
Paula,
Thank you very much for you quick response,,not like my delayed respone to your suggestion.

imperess
07-18-2013, 02:43 PM
hi all-

ok i am doing a LARGE pastel.. and looking at support options.
on the subject of foam board mounting, would it be ok to fix a piece of sanded pastel paper to a piece of acid free foam board for support.. will it warp over time? just worried about it warping in the frame over many years..
is there anything i could seal the back of the foam board with?
size i am looking at doing is 32 x40in.

i have used 2ply-mat board in the past and it has held up well no warping.
or would i be better off mounting to Masonite or gator board ( it is just so hard to find a single sheet !)

Paula Ford
07-18-2013, 02:46 PM
In my opinion, gatorboard would be the best choice.

imperess
07-18-2013, 03:06 PM
since gator is hard to come by though, i am wondering if fome core would work?? yeah or nay, if not i'll go search for gator.. any good links would be great the only place i found that sells single sheets in that size is blick.

Paula Ford
07-18-2013, 03:10 PM
In my experience, the cheap foam board has a tendency to warp. I've not had any problems with, for example, Jerry's Pro-Foam, which I use all the time. But, I would still prefer gatorboard because it's so darn strong.

I also use Double Tack to bond the paper to the board.

imperess
07-18-2013, 03:16 PM
well i have some blick acid free foam board and 3m archival spray? what do you think about that? if not i'll go get the gator though.. i do want it to stand up over time without worry.

or maybe i should just do mat board again.

Paula Ford
07-18-2013, 03:18 PM
I hate the sprays. I got it all over me, the grass, then the dogs got into the grass...not pretty. I only use Graphics (graphix??) Double Tack. It comes in big sheets too.

imperess
07-18-2013, 05:00 PM
thanks i will check it out :)

Talley
07-19-2013, 11:30 AM
Thanks for all this info, Paula.

Do you have any tips on cutting the foam board and/or the double tack? I'd like to make up a bunch of smallish boards (6X8 and 8x10) for plein air.