PDA

View Full Version : Oranges

Deana
01-28-2006, 08:23 AM
Hi everyone....I'd love some C&C here. It's 16"x20", oil on canvas.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jan-2006/37218-oranges.jpg

JamieWG
01-28-2006, 10:02 AM
Deana, your objects are beautifully rendered! I especially like the detailing and folds of the cloth, and the light shining through/reflecting against it from the dish upon which the oranges rest. The reflected color along the edge of the candlestick is a nice touch.

Compositionally, I'd prefer not to see the orange objects clustered along the center portion of the painting horizontally, but perhaps one orange subject as the brightest and strongest in saturation, placed in an ideal focal point position, with the rest slightly greyed/faded by comparison.

I think these monochrome paintings with a single color focus can be very interesting. I hope you'll play with the idea and show us more. There is a lot of black and dark charcoal value in this one, which sets a very somber mood in spite of the bright, warm oranges. Is that what you intended?

I remember someone (I think it may have been in the Portraiture or Pastel forums) doing a black and white portrait of a girl with a red hat that was stunning. 'Been wanting to try something along these lines ever since!

Thanks so much for sharing your work in our new forum here!

Jamie

pameladallaire
01-28-2006, 10:07 AM
Great painting..:clap:

Katherine T
01-28-2006, 11:47 AM
Hi Deana - gosh - a long-time member but not many posts - I think I detect a seasoned lurker - am I right? :confused:

Jolly good effort with the painting. There are some parts which I really like - your attention to the cloth for example and its creases. Also individual items have been lovingly painted such as the candle and the glass.

However, I'm getting the feeling that maybe you didn't give as much time or love to the background which is looking a tad samey to me. And I've got a weird feeling that there's a colour missing in the oranges - not sure what - maybe a complemenatry in the darker tonal values??? Don't mind me though - I get odd feelings about colours at times! ;)

How did you decide which perspective to paint it at? Did you try looking down on it more (ie not so much level with it as standing above it) - so you could see more of the table abd the objects on it?

Deana
01-28-2006, 03:49 PM
Thank you all for your C&C....I'm so grateful for both.
JamieWG, I understand your compositon comment, I was on an orange high, wasn't I :wink2: ...I added the peeled orange later, actually, probably shoulda left well alone, but overworking is a problem with me! And yes, I LUV contrast. Thanks for your input.
Thank you, Pameladallaire!
Katherine, you sussed me....a seasoned lurker is right :o . But I've learned so much from watching and longing to emulate so much wonderful work over the years. You are also right about the background....I'm lazy (or unimaginative) when it comes to backgrounds. Perspective was determined by the fact that it appeared more dramatic....to me, anyway:confused:
Thank you for your kind words.

LarrySeiler
01-28-2006, 04:34 PM
nice effort and all points considered I don't have much to add, but I would caution about things like the amount of wine in your bottle. It levels off too conveniently at the height of the drapery behind it. Better to be above or below a bit more I think to avoid confusion and add to depth.

Larry

Katherine T
01-28-2006, 05:41 PM
Deana - the straight on level perspective is the one everybody tends to do loads of at the beginning. But try standing above a still life and looking down - lots of scope for interesting value patterns and interactions which you miss when looking level.

(I put my vases of flowers on the floor sometimes and pretend the floor is the table! LOL :D)

Deana
01-29-2006, 08:10 PM
Larry....your point is very well taken, I shall be wary of that in future.
Katherine...now that you mention it, years ago I took a good photograph of a vase of flowers on my carpet, just because the colours blended so well. Never got around to painting it yet. Actually, here it is....http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2006/37218-peonies.jpeg
Thanks to both for your advice.

Katherine T
01-29-2006, 08:46 PM
Splendid :clap::clap::clap: See what I mean - isn't that much more interesting than a level perspective!