PDA

View Full Version : Canvas board with gesso and pumice?

RUNEMASTER
01-27-2006, 11:24 AM
Can one prepare something like fredrix canvas board with gesso and pumice or anything else to make it as good for pastels as say la Carte paper?

dlake
01-27-2006, 11:33 AM
Rune, I use fredrix almost exclusively for canvas. I always gesso'd even if it is gesso'd beforehand. I just feel better. I haven't used the fine pumice but, have been looking into it. It's suppose to be awesome for pastels. If you do that let me know how you like it and what it's like.
Fredrix canvas is great.
diane

RUNEMASTER
01-27-2006, 11:36 AM
Sure Diane.I suppose your using it for acrylic.Id like to use all these fredric canvases I bought for pastel since i fear acrylics may not work out for me at all , and ive had success with pastels.

If I could get some real tooth on this canvas board that would be pretty cool.

dlake
01-27-2006, 11:40 AM
No no. I use canvas for pastels. I use the medium and the watercolor for pastels. I still do a gesso or acrylic waterdowned layer first just to set. Doesn't interupt the roughness. I love canvas and arches watercolor paper for pastels.

RUNEMASTER
01-27-2006, 01:18 PM
So lets say i have a fredric canvas board.What do you suggest i do to it in preparation for painting a pastel?

Check out my latest post.

dlake
01-27-2006, 01:25 PM
I would just put a light coat of gesso down first. then do any drawing you want and paint with pastels. It's really easy. I just put the gesso down as a precaution or I put a watered down coat of acrylic instead of gesso. either or
d

RUNEMASTER
01-27-2006, 01:32 PM
Thats it? Wow.Kinda hard to believe that a single coat of gesso, and you have enough tooth for a pastel work.What about layers? I mean can it hold layers of pastel? This is real news. I need a lot of tooth.

I have these :

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jan-2006/63397-FredrixLinenPanel.jpg

khourianya
01-27-2006, 01:36 PM
You could always use art spectrum primer on it. I've tried it before. It takes a few layers of the primer to get a good amount of tooth. Give it a try. Use a foam brush or foam roller to get it really smooth or the brushstrokes willshow through the pastel.

jmp
01-27-2006, 08:02 PM
liquitex makes a product called CLEAR Acrylic Gesso- has a bit more tooth to it than "plain" gesso- you can use it on pretty much any surface, though the label says that "raw" canvas should be washed first and paper should be heavy enough to prevent buckling.

I use it on paper (watercolor paper ) or mat board and I've also used it on colorfix or pastelboard when I want to rework an area thats lost it's tooth.

Hope this helps, I suppose you can buy it wherever liquitex products are sold, even down there in the Underworld where I suspect you may live...

RUNEMASTER
01-27-2006, 09:27 PM
Thanks great news.

Barrynotlarry
01-27-2006, 10:23 PM
I have painted pastel on canvas board and canvas on a stretcher.
I used to mix my own pumice and gesso mix, I like a lot of tooth so I can stack on the pastel. I now use GOLDEN PASTEL PRIMING, works well.
Barry

Shari
01-27-2006, 10:35 PM
Susan Ogilvie lets her brush strokes show through and it gives texture and character to her paintings. I am going to try this but using a mixture of gesso and marble dust/pumice on top in several coats. I also saw where someone mixed marble dust and methyl cellulose which is wallpaper paste I believe.

dlake
01-28-2006, 01:51 AM
I've been able to layer with pastels on regular fredrix canvas. Never had a problem. I just really enjoy canvas and watercolor paper for pastels. And my painting seem to look nicer.
diane

RUNEMASTER
01-28-2006, 08:54 AM
very informative though some of this stuff like marble dust might need to be used with caution.

Wonder what the incidence of lung victims is in the pastel arena.

I did read that certain colors are deadly to your lungs causing permanent lung damage.

dlake
01-28-2006, 11:37 AM
Rune,
I depends on the information. Some colors in some mediums are toxic. Most pastels are toxic. Like I said, I'm toying with trying pumice very fine textured. If you do first please let me and everyone else know what you think.
Diane

dlake
01-28-2006, 05:10 PM
Oh, double post. ick. Anyway, I waiting for my acrylic wash to dry on fredrix canvas. I plan to do a landscape on that one. With the discussion of whether to do pastels on canvas I decided to use one of mine and recycle it and prepare it for a painting so people can see how lovely pastel is on this. i haven't decided whether to actually paint the pastel or do it dry yet.
diane

Paula Ford
01-28-2006, 05:57 PM
You guys should try aluminimum oxide grit in either gesso or matte medium. It works really well.

dlake
01-28-2006, 06:00 PM
Haven't seen that? Who makes it, Paula?? Sounds like it would be fun.
diane

Paula Ford
01-28-2006, 06:03 PM
I really don't know who makes it. You can do a google search and it comes up under lots of hardware stores. You can probably find it in Lowes or Home Depot also.

artc
01-28-2006, 09:27 PM
Thank you for this tip Paula......I know that auto parts stores that supply bodyshops will probably carry pumice....not sure about the aluminum oxide grit tho.
Lowes website is ridiculous.....they kept changing my search for "bagged gravel"(for my driveway) into searching for bagged travel......hehehehe
Thanks.....Art

RUNEMASTER
01-29-2006, 12:55 PM
Sure NP.Soon as I get around to it.

PeggyB
01-29-2006, 03:25 PM
I've used extra fine pumice for years (available in any hardware store that has supplies for plumbing as I was told plumbers use it for ???) It is inexpensive and a little bit goes a long way. Mix with gesso and water to the consistancy of thick cream - or whatever floats you boat - If you want brush strokes to be apparent, use a brush - I use one that is 2". If you want a smoother surface try a sponge roller. Personally, I like the brush strokes. When I want to add color I add golden acrylic because they have good pigmentation. Or I use all that pastel dust I've been saving and end up with a most wonderful gray that is never the same twice. You'll have to use the clear gesso if you want a true color and not one that's tinted with white gesso. This mixture will work on any surface - canvas, canvas board, foam core, watercolor paper, whatever... However, if using paper first put plain gesso on the back and let it dry a little or the paper/foam core will warp.

Peggy

RUNEMASTER
01-29-2006, 07:22 PM
Off to the harware store tomorrow.:clap:

Now i have something to use those acrylic paint with. Aluminum Oxide aye? Sounds like something kavorkian might have used.:eek:

RUNEMASTER
02-01-2006, 02:05 PM
Bought some pumice today.Got the FF kind which is regular not fine.I mixed it up with gesso and water in a jar though i fear i added too much water.

Added more pumice to make it thick. I figure a few globs of gesso should do the trick.

Now I have a layer of the stuff on some canvas boards which I had unsuccessfully attempted to paint with acrylic. I wonder if one layer is enough? Ill wait till it dries and add another layer.

If your woondering about my new avatar,its Curt Cobain.

I was also wondering if adding a layer of regular gesso over the dried pumice/gesso before painting with pastel is of any advantage?

RUNEMASTER
02-02-2006, 07:36 PM
Somebody asked to let them know the result of my trying gesso/pumice.Check out my latest post. called 10 min wip.