View Full Version : Bidder wants to buy it right now....

02-08-2002, 07:09 PM
I received an email from someone who made a bid on a painting of mine, the minimum $39.99. They are new to ebay and want to buy it now for $80. I can't revise the auction to do a buy it now, because that's no longer available because of their bid. I looked into ebay about canceling bid, but it goes on your history. Anyone have a clue how to best handle this? I would love to sell this painting right now for $80!!!

02-08-2002, 07:42 PM
Just another thought.... I don't want to cut ebay out of it's dues and I know that it's against ebay policy to end the auction early and sell to bidder at a higher price. So I guess my question is this; how can I end my auction early, get the higher price and still give ebay their percent? :confused:


02-09-2002, 02:11 AM
Wow -That's quite a situation.
The only way I can think of would be to end the auction, and start a new one with BIN. I don't know if I would chance it with a zero feedbacker, but then again $80.00 is a much better price, if they're really willing to pay it.

Sorry I can't come up with anything more helpful, but it's a great painting, and worth more than $80.00. I hope you get the higher price.

02-09-2002, 02:40 AM
Sketchdude's suggestion of ending and re-starting the auction is a good one if Ebay will let you do it. Otherwise, it seems to me there's not much you can do and you'll both have to be patient. Let us know what you decide to do.

02-09-2002, 03:24 AM
Thanks Sketch Dude and Sumafra, that is what I had come up with too... I emailed the person with that suggestion ~ OR~ to just ride the auction out. I know, I hesitate with a zero feedback too, but they have to start somewhere! So far I have had the nicest buyers even the few with 0 feedback.

Thanks for your kind words on my painting!!! January was really slow, so even $80 is welcome! But it would be nice to get higher!!


02-09-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by CathyD

Thanks for your kind words on my painting!!! January was really slow, so even $80 is welcome! But it would be nice to get higher!!

You could redo the auction but my thinking is that if they want it that bad they would make their bid and wait. Also, with an 80 dollar bid the other bids would have to be higher. Its not always a bad thing but 0 fbs are risky but on the other hand if you let the auction run and they still win with the 80 you would still be taking the risk of if you get it from them or not.

All this being the case, either thing would work. I'm just not sure which to tell you would be the best THING

02-09-2002, 09:31 PM
This what I would do:
I would ask them to put a top bid at $80 and wait. There is a chance that they would loose the auction,(good for you!) but there is also a chance that they would get the piece for less(good for them!). Also remind them that ebay is an auction site and not a store and you don't feel comfortable doing something that is against ebay rules of conduct.
I don't think that they would get offended and would also possibly appreciate you honesty and integrity.

02-10-2002, 11:36 AM
Thanks for you thoughts Tammy and Rita.
Rita, I had already done exactly as you suggested and the lady decided to wait it out. I do want to preserve my ethics! Auctions are slow right now for me, so I cross my fingers that it will reach up to the 80 bid!

02-12-2002, 10:01 AM
Hi Cathy', sorry if Im late here but this is my thoughts..
Its a great thing this bidder feels that highly about your painting(which is tremendous BTW!)
I agree with the others that canceling the auction would be bad news for your credibility and the bidder should just ride it out ...
On the other hand, its unfortunate if the bids do not go up to the $80 mark meaning your willing bidder will get it for the $39..
I guess the only suggestion I have, and you can try this one of 2 ways, since this bidder seems VERY interested in your work, is perhaps email them scans of your other work that is not appearing on Ebay right now-see if there are any others they may be interested in and either re-list those choices with the higher BIN option, or go private...
Your kinda between a rock and a hard place with this one right now..

02-14-2002, 01:48 AM
Hi Caron and everyone! The auction ended and the '$80 would be' painting sold for the minimum bid $39.99. Oh well, that's ok... better than not selling it, huh!
Thanks everyone for your help!