PDA

View Full Version : Fresco from life

donjusko
01-26-2006, 05:12 PM
Hi Jamie and Kerri
Thanks for the newsletter.

I painted this buon fresco, 12x16, using three transparent primary pigments.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jan-2006/1201-Flatourwinefin400.jpg

Buon fresco, 12x16, using these three transparent primary pigments.

PR122, PG10F, PB15.3 plus titanium white.
With fresco, you have about 6 hours of open time, the fresco is finished whether you are or not..

Here is a webpage about this fresco, my fresco technique and primary colors.
http://www.realcolorwheel.com/frescopaintings11.htm

JamieWG
01-26-2006, 05:43 PM
Don, it's beautiful! How've you been? I love the reflections in the top of the glass. Do we get to toast the new forum? :D

Jamie

donjusko
01-27-2006, 03:14 AM
Hi Jamie,

A toast would be in order. "May we like everything we paint."
Did you notice my portrait in the bottle? Nooo.. nobody ever does.

It's nice to talk to a friend.
Aloha, Don

P.S. I just bought a 52" plotter to make giclees of my paintings. Can I make one of yours for you for free? My pleasure.

JamieWG
01-28-2006, 10:19 AM
Hi Jamie,

A toast would be in order. "May we like everything we paint."
Did you notice my portrait in the bottle? Nooo.. nobody ever does.

OMG! I didn't see it when I first looked, but I do now!

P.S. I just bought a 52" plotter to make giclees of my paintings. Can I make one of yours for you for free? My pleasure.

Wow, what a kind offer! I've never had a giclee done. What do I need to do? Thank you so much!

That must be wonderful to have fulltime access to a plotter like that. I can't even imagine all the opportunities it opens up. Best of luck with it!

Jamie

donjusko
01-28-2006, 03:06 PM
It all happened when my cousin in NJ said he wanted to open a gallery called 'Maui East' and sell my giclees. I have had the plotter to work with for 2 months now. It's a large learning scale but very exciting.

There are two ways to get the image into the plotter. One is from a 4x5 transparency, the other is from a high digital camera. I don't have the camera yet, but I'll get it, another $9,000. Cannon has a 16 mega-pixel beauty that will do just fine. A 35 mm slide will print up to 10x12, 11x14 is pushing it.

I have the scanner for the transparencies I have made over the years and did a couple prints already. Then my head went down, I ordered new ones last Thursday. Ink is very expensive, I went through $400 worth last week learning how to make my own profiles from scratch.

It's like all I've learned about color has another use and it's fun. With me painting 3 color painting and printing in 3 colors it's a breeze. Well Ok, 6 colors. Black is incidental and brings up the depth and contrast, it's the primaries that do the work. Other colors I use are a light cyan and a light magenta.

Light black, orange, green, red and blue are also available, I tried them out last month. I'll stick with the primaries.

My Roland ink supplier changed their cyan to a red/side cyan so I found another supplier. I don't know who talked them into that... You just can't make all colors with an incorrect cyan. Cyan has to be able to make a clean yellow green and blue. Red/side just won't do it, it dirties the yellow greens and widens the cyan to magenta spectrum.

The problem printers face is the gamut of RGB is too large to be printed and they are trying to adjust for that with ink. The answer is really in how the ink is profiled. There is another profile for the image and another for the monitor. They all work togather.

The best cyan is PB15.3, just like the one I use in pigments. Magenta is PR122, both in the printer and in painting pigments. Case closed. Except for those that preach otherwise.

The yellow was changed back in the late 50's to an opaque one. I can't wait until I start making my own printing inks, I'll get back to transparent yellow and reduce the black input. Since I only print on white support media, transparent yellow will do just fine.

So what you need is a 4x5 transparentcy, a 2.25 transparentcy or a 35 mm transparentcy. With that in hand I can match it very well in print.

Rosic
01-29-2006, 03:48 PM
Don... this is superb! This along with your info gives me a whole new appreciation for frescoes.

I just saw this one by Ben Long at a church near our mountain lodge...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2006/17108-benlongfrescoe.JPG

Thanks for going through all the trouble to share the technique on your site.

Bernie

donjusko
01-29-2006, 09:35 PM
Thanks Bernie,

I have a photo of Ben and I in Jacksonville, Florida in 1963, I was 22 at the time. That was way before I ever dreamed of doing fresco. Now, I consider it the upper-most challenge for an artist. Painting them from life is just something extra.

Our new pigments today would make our past fresco painters envious, I think.. Well it makes me happy anyway.

Don Jusko

JamieWG
01-30-2006, 06:38 PM
So what you need is a 4x5 transparentcy, a 2.25 transparentcy or a 35 mm transparentcy. With that in hand I can match it very well in print.

Thank you so much, Don. If I ever get this far, I'll contact you for sure. It's such a nice offer! Usually, if I'm lucky I get a cheap digital pic without too much glare. LOL Good thing I'm not a photographer. ;)

That sounds like one super-duper machine.....and lots of ink!

Jamie

Katherine T
01-30-2006, 07:30 PM
Don - I'm not quite clear - do you want comments?

donjusko
03-04-2006, 04:55 PM
Sure, I would like comments and questions. I do like to help.
Sorry I'm so late to reply.