GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Marching in the Parade
Year Created: 2006
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 11x14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I did this for an art auction benefit for the University depicted in this parade.
It was hard to do this small, but still took about a day.
I plan to do a bigger one someday.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comments are helpful.

Corby
01-26-2006, 01:33 PM
a difficult subject made more so perhaps by the small format. My observation is that it should be full of life, albeit ordered life. But it seems devoid of life and movement. The human figures are as static and unmoving as the pillars behind them. The sky itself is as unmovable as the buildings. Perhaps the sky could be reworked with a deep gradation of intermingled silvery colors so as to remove the flatness and give it life. And the human figures treated in a more impressionistic manner...broken and confetti like, so as to insert the feeling of movement and life. Brighter color and avoiding the use of line, working in blobs of color. This sets them apart from the pillars and buildings. Just an example of what I mean here:http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jan-2006/70790-paradeweb.jpg

You of course would adapt the thing to your own likes and dislikes. I am just trying to show the approach that might serve your desires.

Lobster Alla Prima
01-26-2006, 08:56 PM
It triggered a sort of nostalgia for me, kind of like a historic woodcut or a mural in a capitol. I'd bet it did well in the auction.

But, I also think CorvusKorax makes some well reasoned points.

Maybe the style chosen would depend on the type of audience you anticipate.

tbezesky
01-27-2006, 10:59 AM
I have been giving it some thought, Corvus describes what I had intended, I wanted it to be loose and mostly draw attention to the patterns of color, but I made it too small and painted it on canvas board.
So I am going to pull out a blank stretched canvas, 14x18, and start over again next week. Hopefully I can get it done in a couple of days.

This is what's great about wet canvas! :-)
Thanks,
Corvus and L. Alla Prima