PDA

View Full Version : Books

Perry
01-26-2006, 08:57 AM
This Is 11x14
Oil on canvas with knife

Trying to loosen up and simplify objects in this painting.
Im happy with it but critiques would be appreciated.
Thanks for looking.

Like2Pedal
01-26-2006, 01:23 PM
i like the texture in the whole thing. but as a draftsperson i am drawn to the un-natural lines and the way things don't quite line up. the table edge is curved and the tilting green book looks off. i know i am hypercritical though. but i really like the feeling of the back of the green/tan book!!

LeeHaber
01-26-2006, 01:56 PM
Nicely done!

JamieWG
01-26-2006, 02:03 PM
Hiya Perry. Nice, thick paint. Those perspectives can sure be tricky. I like the subtlety of that back shadow.

Jamie

Perry
01-26-2006, 04:12 PM
i like the texture in the whole thing. but as a draftsperson i am drawn to the un-natural lines and the way things don't quite line up. the table edge is curved and the tilting green book looks off. i know i am hypercritical though. but i really like the feeling of the back of the green/tan book!!
Thanks for the critique.
I agree that the perspective may be off in some areas. I wasn't paying much attention to the technical accuracy on this one and I probably should have. I was more concerned with the composition and trying to get some color harmony and balance. This is different than my usual attempts at still life which has been realism and attention to detail.
I've decided to go in this direction for a while and see what happens. I have become bored with the way I was doing things
and this creates some excitement for me.:) Something new.

Thanks Lee and Jamie

James or Jimmy Jim
01-26-2006, 06:26 PM
Perry, that's the most paint I've seen on a canvas for a long time. :D

Bold painting.

Katherine T
01-26-2006, 07:26 PM
Hi Perry

That's a lot of paint you've got there - straight from the tube?

Have you tried putting this into greyscale to study the tonal value pattern and balance?

Perry
01-26-2006, 09:15 PM
Perry, that's the most paint I've seen on a canvas for a long time. :D

Bold painting.

Jim, When one considers the value of a painting... weight is just as important as size and visual appeal.:D

Perry
01-27-2006, 08:55 AM
Katherine,
Here's the greyscale. It looks ok to me.
I'm going to post it in the composition forum and see what they think.
I used the paint right from the tube on this one.

LarrySeiler
01-27-2006, 10:06 AM
I like this very much...very aesthetically pleasing with its textures, its color.

This one would make me stop at an exhibition to pause and take in... :clap:

Larry

Perry
01-27-2006, 11:20 AM
Thanks Larry. Very much appreciated.