PDA

View Full Version : Mother and Child

gayatrimanchanda
01-26-2006, 05:52 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-26-2006/71808_mother_and_child.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Mother and Child
Year Created: 2006
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 20 X 24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Is the figure too centralized ?

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything

tazaharra
01-26-2006, 07:59 AM
the visual impact lies mainly in the expressive gestural brushstrokes. Your use of a limited coice of colors is very good and suggest maturity of vision. The figures maybe a bit too centralized but it not distubing. I tried to imagine how it'll look if the child was wearing nothing and has a little lighter skin tone as the mother. very creative. happy painting

Dantys
01-26-2006, 09:34 AM
Figure is the central feature here, thus position is fine (being in the center sometimes is just neccessary). I am however distracted by what seems to be very heavy use of pure white pigment. I would soften some of the white vertical lines around the main figures. I like the painting and the mother and child are successful, but they compete for attention with all the white brush strokes. I see it is signed, are you done?

Zap
01-26-2006, 10:07 AM
I love the free, loose brushstrokes and the entire composition works well for me. I should mention that my eye was immediately drawn to the white outlining the baby's arm. So, I must agree with Dantys about softening those harsher lines.

tbezesky
01-26-2006, 12:02 PM
I like the style and concept.
It has energy as well.

Corby
01-26-2006, 12:32 PM
ordinarily I think it would be considered as too centered, but the series of frames that result from the treatment of its surround, acts as a frame that draws it down to one rectangle of white which it occupies in its entirety. So it registers well, and does not seem at all centered. I like the styalization and the color. Except for the modern feel of its surround, it has the feel of an ancient Pompeian fresco.

gayatrimanchanda
01-27-2006, 05:02 AM
i have been given sound advice as usual - the outlining could indeed be improved and the white brush stroke around the baby is too vertical - i will round off the lines.
The white lines around the baby are not so obvious in the painting and comes up starkly in the image.
- gayatri

01-27-2006, 08:15 AM
Nah! I think the figure requires a centralized approach. Perhaps the white pallette is used in a frequent manner but the fluid brushstroke has imparted life in the work. Also the Mother and The Child reflects a true Indian flavour to the painting.
All in all its a lovely work.

dornberg
02-03-2006, 08:37 PM
i like the color