PDA

View Full Version : New to ACEO/ miniature

TFB
01-26-2006, 01:57 AM
Hi,

I am interested in ACEOs/ATCs ....Is 2.5 x 3.5 inches the standard/ regulation size and is this the same maximum size for miniatures? Do you need a magnifying glass to do them ..lol! I think you would need good eye sight and I would be more comfortable with 4 x 5 to 6. I think they would be fun and quick to do being so small. I have cross posted similar questions in the coloured pencil forum.

TFB

valchina612
01-26-2006, 09:41 AM
Hi TFB,

Yes, 3.5" x 2.5" is the standard/regulation size for an ACEO/ATC.
This measurement just applies to these particular cards, and to this special sub-forum.

To post in the main Miniature Forum, your painting/drawing needs to be any size up to 16 square inches i.e. 4x4, 5x3 etc. If you feel more confident working in this size format, then please do post your artwork in the Miniature Forum, as we would all love to see it.

If you would like to try an ACEO size piece, then we would love to see it in this forum.

Re using a magnifier of some description for your work -- this is entirely a personal decision. If you feel you need it, then use any type of magnifier that you feel comfortable with. If you already wear glasses, you can buy clip-on magnifying glasses to fit over your own normal glasses. You can also buy magnified glasses from most Chemist Shops (Pharmacies and I think they could also be called Drug Stores in the US).

I paint ACEOs in addition to many other sized artworks, but I don't use any magnification at all. I have been painting about 50 thimbles a month as an ongoing commission for a company for the past 5 years, and I have gotten very used to painting small. I don't use magnification for them either. It just depends how you feel personally. I do wear glasses all the time, and also have special glasses for using the computer, and I find the computer glasses are very adequate for my painting. What I should have said is that I don't use any EXTRA magnification, other than what I already am used to using on a permanent basis.

I hope this helps.
Val. :wave:

hillrune
01-26-2006, 10:07 AM
I wanted to write right away! This should be very exciting! I am having so much fun creating ACEOs!

My latest project is going well. I am painting my Greyhound Dawgs in the ACEO format. Here's pics of ones listed at eBay.

Mary

darlingart
01-26-2006, 09:47 PM
TFB, I work in colour pencil too - in a realistic style and with a fair bit of detail and ACEO's generally take me about 2 hours (up to about 7 layers of cp). It seems the more I do, the more detail I get and the longer it takes. BUT - it is still far wuicker than a larger piece in cp, plus I almost always use black or coloured support which helps cut down on the layers needed.

Mary I LOVE your greyhounds, they are so cute!

Michelle

redtreestudio
01-28-2006, 10:29 AM
The "Green Tree Frog" on your web site is adorable!!!

:wave:

TFB
01-28-2006, 08:20 PM
Hi Val, Mary, Michelle and Redtreestudio,

Thanks for the helpful information and great links. I look forward to having a go, when I have more time. I, too, love your green tree frog Michelle....I also love painting them, but don't have any in this size to post. The greyhounds are great too, wonderful dogs to paint. When I work out how to do it I will add my website to my posts. I have dial up internet,so it is rather time consuming.

TFB

TeAnne
02-01-2006, 06:40 AM
lol MAry, they are awesome :)

hillrune
02-01-2006, 09:01 AM
Thanks, Teanne! The center dawg hasn't sold and I think he's the best!
Mary

piper2
02-01-2006, 11:13 AM
TFB, just keep in mind that even though art cards are small, you get what you put into them. Don't think about doing them because they're quick. Think about doing them because it's a new challenge to work that small. You'll be happier with the results if you treat them like you would a large work.