PDA

View Full Version : encaustic floral...abstract.

corfublue
01-25-2006, 09:47 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-25-2006/58344_Clipboard01encwc.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Untitled
Year Created: 2006
Medium: Other
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 20x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Encaustic.
Just started my new encaustic class.
This is the first piece.
It's very tricky, the brush stroke dries within 3 seconds of the application.
You have to work very very fast.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
The pic was taken tonight with the flash, but I thought I would show it anyhow.
what do you think?
The entire painting is dry pigment mixed in with bees wax.

Dhuot
01-25-2006, 10:02 PM
Hey Val :wave:
The colours, green in particular, are amazing.
The texture look good.
I would want to see the flower with pot, reach further out of the yellow box !
Nice new stuff :)

Corby
01-25-2006, 10:03 PM
Hi CBlue! So glad you are doing this! Looks like you have gotten off to a solid start. I am interested and curious... but 3 seconds? that about sinks my boat... I am the essence of slow! Share it as you go?

Zap
01-25-2006, 10:47 PM
I remember my first encaustic painting and it was not even close to being as good as your first attempt. One method to keep the wax 'moving' so you can manipulate more is to place your heavy paper or canvas on a hotplate. Canvas is far different than working on a smoother surface such as masonite or mdf. If this painting is any indication, you will make an excellent encaustic painter.

Constellation
01-26-2006, 11:08 AM
What a terrifying medium! I'm with Corby on being slow.... More power to you, Blue... I think this is excellent and the colors are so "un-muddy" and fresh. The yelllow upright thing is sort of confusing to me but I confuse easily! LOL.... What is the history of encaustic? Donna

tazaharra
01-26-2006, 11:44 AM
my pallette looks better than this!!!(just kidding) nice to see our lady van gogh experimenting with encaustics. so much possibilities. looking forward to see more attempts. cheers!!!

corfublue
01-26-2006, 04:05 PM
I took a pic of it in the day light.
and I added the other two i did in the class yesterday. They are 20x20 and 16x20.
Its so much fun, the house smells like honey from my new paintings.
Such a nice change, a medium that smells nice.
Thanks for the comments, it is a good medium for abstract and learning colours.
The process is set up on a raclette, or an electric frying pan. Then you put muffin trays on the raclette so they warm up, then you break of bits of wax and put them in a muffin...thingy. Each thingy is a mix of colours so you can have 10-20 colours on the go.
It is fun, like cooking.
It's a very old medium that was used my the greeks and the egyptians.
It never went away completely but was never very "in".
I think it adds nice texture and you can use it on existing paintings which is a process I am willing to adopt.
cool eh?
Valerie

vargamari
01-26-2006, 07:33 PM
Hi Valerie! My first tries were much worse, you've made it with sense. If you want to get a smoother surface, you could try to heat it with hair dryer, but take care, when the wax begins to melt, it can run away...this method is very good to try first at abstracts. I wish you further a lot of fun!

Best wishes,

nikkico
05-29-2006, 08:03 PM
Corfublue: I haven't seen yet when this was posted, bur your Encausetic classes must have been a lot of fun. Those daffodils are incredible! Can I have that painting? :)
I think I'm going to try encaustics sometime soon. Glad you posted these.

nikkico
05-29-2006, 08:08 PM
OK, I see the date. still learning where to look for stuff! Never too late to make a comment..especially a good one!