PDA

View Full Version : Learning to Care (Rev1)

painter1960
01-15-2006, 09:11 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-15-2006/15045_Learning_to_Care.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Learning To Care
Year Created: 2006
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Painting for my daughter who graduates from Nursing School in May.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comments welcome. Haven't posted or painted much in the last 18 months.

Grunge
01-16-2006, 12:08 AM
What a very touching painting. The face is very well modeled. that cheek is fabulous. The left hand looks a bit strange. If you are working from a photograph that is probably why. For some reason it is much easier for the eye to overlook weirdness in a photograph, but in a painting it tends to stand out. That is where you need to apply artistic license and tweak things a little.

I love the red fabric. It looks like satin. The white fabric needs to be a little smoother in the tonal transitions. We know it's white but it isn't reading as white at the bonnet or the bandage. I'm thinking there should be more whites to balance with that bonnet.

I wouldn't mind, also, seeing the background just a little darker to make the figure pop out away from it.

This painting is really very sweet. I'm sure your daughter will cherish it!!

donn_granros
01-16-2006, 01:20 AM
I agree. I think the background could be a bit darker too. Maybe more of a separation between the tone of the dress and background. Regardless -very nice.

vargamari
01-16-2006, 05:22 AM
I agree and join to Grunge's comment. You've portrayed the emotion very well.
Best wishes,

Constellation
01-16-2006, 08:31 AM
That is so tender! I agree that the background should be darker.... and the hand corrected... but it is adorable! Donna

painter1960
01-16-2006, 12:15 PM
Thank you Grunge, Donn, Vargamari and Constellation for the highly constructive feedback. No work today so it's out to the studio to do as you've suggested. The hand bothered me a little as well and it is painted from a photograph. As to the background, it started off darker and so darkening it a bit will be a breeze. I'll post it again later. Thanks again. Feels good to have a brush in hand again!!!!!

Dana Design
01-16-2006, 06:21 PM
Don't overwork the hand too much as this isn't a perfectly realistic painting. A semblance, perhaps, nothing more, IMO.

What bothers me is her shoulder.....the turn of her shoulder would be higher than what you've depicted and her arm would be a bit heavier, thicker than what's shown and her forearm seems shorter than the upper arm.

This is a charming painting......your daughter will love and cherish it.

painter1960
01-25-2006, 06:16 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-25-2006/15045_Untitled-2.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Learning to Care (Rev1)
Year Created: 2006
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
After careful consideration of the changes recommended during my initial post I darkened the background, gave some attention to the right arm and hand and made a couple of other changes. Hope it helped

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comments/constructive criticism are/is always welcome.

sugar tree gal
01-25-2006, 08:26 PM
I know what I like too.. and I like this, didn't see the original... let me try and find it.. Janice texture on bear..great!

Corby
01-25-2006, 09:46 PM
Yes! This is a very nice improvement! It has body weight and depth now. The only thing that distracts me is the bowl on the right edge of the painting. It pulls my eye right out of the painting! Put your thumb over the bowl and see if you think its absence is an improvement. The child holds her own as a center of interest now, she needs nothing to compete. Good Job!

Dana Design
01-25-2006, 11:48 PM
Painter1960, you might try softening the lines that run along side her nose. She'll look more lifelike and it will soften her features.

BTW, if you'll be working further on this, I'll switch it to the WIP subforum at the top of the first page. Open Critique is for finished works and until they're finished, you can work on them to your heart's content as a WIP.

This painting is going well.

jannek
01-26-2006, 09:32 AM
her right shoulder and arm seem to bend in the wrong places and are maybe still a little too thin? it looks to me as if her shoulder has dislocated, the left arm also seems to bend in the wrong place and the letf hand knuckles seem to be a bit out of whack. I not sure whether any of this really matters because you have achieved a real feeling of warmth and tenderness in the painting keep up the good work. well done!

Dantys
01-26-2006, 09:41 AM
Painting number two is such an improvement. I might suggest some shadow where her body meets the background to continue to pull her out of the background and into the foreground. very nice, thoughtful gift.