PDA

View Full Version : How to mask "Signatures" on artworks during portfolio presentation

worksofhands
01-25-2006, 01:40 PM
Hi! This is my first post.
And I thought because my question is related to my portfolio to an arts school, I am posting here.

I heard that the examiners donīt normally like seeing the young applicantīs signature on their works. Maybe it somehow makes them biased to a certain applicant if they know to whom the artworks belong to.

So I am asking if there is a safe way to mask the signature without ruining the paper afterwards.

I thought of liquid frisket. I thought I could scrub it out after the examination. But it is clear and the signature still shows through.

I also thought of crepe masking tape. I heard there are those which are easy to remove. But I am not sure if they stick to paper.

My presentation will be on the 1st week of February.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Vincent
My drawings: http://community.webshots.com/user/worksofhands

Axl
01-26-2006, 10:39 AM
If you're not sure about the crepe masking tape, why dont you try it on a test page, similar to your drawings, and see if it works.

That said, I would test any method of hiding the signature that involves attaching something to the paper overtop, before I actually apply it to your pieces. Otherwise you may end up ruining something you've worked very hard on.

worksofhands
01-26-2006, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the reply axl!
It would be very strange to see a piece of masking tape on the drawings but it looks like it is the only way. I will invest on a good quality masking tape. A white one is even better than the cream-colored ones.

Axl
01-26-2006, 03:03 PM
Yes! Additionally, you could paint or colour the tape to blend in better with your work - since it is only temporary, colouring the tape probably won't be much of an issue.

Taxguy
01-26-2006, 05:53 PM
My daughter is sending in various pieces to RISD. There should be some identification in all pieces. They wanted social security number, but I will be damned before I allow here to use SS#. I prefer her name as the identification. Personally, I don't think you should have a problem with naming your pieces.

PS: So far, this technique got her into every art program that she has applied to. Thus, having her name on her pieces didn't seem to hurt her. However,she had a strong, varied portfolio, with a good presentation. Even her name was inscribed very neatly.

worksofhands
01-28-2006, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the tip about coloring the tape, Axl.

Taxguy:
We are also required to indicate our portfolio with our applicantīs number, never the name. A teacher who teaches artworkshops told me most examiners donīt like seeing signed works of artist-wanna-bes, if you know what I mean. Maybe these examiners think that the applicants who sign their drawings already think they are that good to show off signed drawings. I honestly didnīt have any idea about signing oneīs drawings. I just felt I have to write down my name in all my works. Besides, most people asked me to sign their portraits. I guess, I am just too amateur.

I have later read that many masters of the past signed works only when they are finished or to be sold. I sign almost everything, also my favorite sketches. I love sketches you see, those unfinished studies. They have that freshness and spontaneity a well-planned painting usually lacks.

pinktank
02-25-2006, 07:18 PM
I dont sign anything, I dont evne put my names on stuff thats hanged around the school halls if I can avoid it.