PDA

View Full Version : Project Announcement: Artist's Self Portraits

bjs0704
01-25-2006, 12:49 PM
Come join us in the Classical Forum as we try to paint our self portraits as artists. Learn a bit about the history of this type of self portrait.

Traditionally, this sort of portrait was used by artists as a self promotion tool to sell their ablility to paint portraits. Itís still a useful self promotion tool. Itís also a great and fun project for beginners.

Barb Solomon:cat:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321681

shells
02-06-2006, 07:14 AM
Hi,
I hav'nt worked in the classical style (not quite sure what that is: the last time I did a grisaille first , the black and white underpainting was great, I really mucked up the colour!) So what exactly does this mean? But I'm currently doing a self portrait in graphite and (wonder of wonders, its actually working!). So, I'd like to give this project a go.

P.S. Feeling really foolish about this question! :o

bjs0704
02-06-2006, 12:52 PM
When we say "classicism", it's our way of saying that the person is trying to work realistically instead of some of the more "modern" or "expressive" styles. We love to see beginners just learning about classical painting!

Many people in the classical forum are also interested in historical painting methods and some of the theories used by the art academies before 1900's.

I hope that you drop by! We would love to have you join us!

Barb Solomon:cat: