GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: A Dream?
Year Created: 2006
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 11x14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
A fun painting for MLK day. It started as realism and took a turn for the worst.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I was wondering how anyone felt about this. How it is percieved and if you think it glorifies or mocks Dr. King.

wooelena
01-25-2006, 10:21 PM
I think the idea is good, but the technique does make it seem a bit mocking, and almost angry. I would be interested in seeing what else you could do with this line of thought, so that your intent comes through accurately.

Lobster Alla Prima
01-25-2006, 10:36 PM
I like the originality of the mouth - like the words coming out are so powerful they contort him. I like the least the ear and the audience. The ear is so small it's like he's not hearing himself, and the audience is so structured they seem unmoved.

The subject is great and I respect you would think of doing this piece due to MLK day. So many people just treat it as a day off.

pampe
01-26-2006, 12:04 PM
Following the last comment makes me think the faces should be white to carry more message

I think it works....tells a story and is not mocking

jbitzel
01-26-2006, 12:26 PM
Following the last comment makes me think the faces should be white to carry more message

I think it works....tells a story and is not mocking

You say that white faces would carry more message, do you know what the message is? The meaning is that they are all the same and that the movement for desegrigation came from a few colorful, and highly intellectual individuals and the majority of the members of the black community were uneducated and just faces in the croud. Who needed people like MLK to fight for them as members of the croud even though MLK didn't know each of them individuality. The ant on his cuff signifies the spoiling of racial relations in the US, there will always be barriers on race because of the deep rooted principals of our culture and there will always be some amount of racism in the white and black communities. Authough desegrigation is recognized by the government, the dream is only 90% accomplished.

pampe
01-27-2006, 11:23 AM
well...ok

but usually, I assume people will get different messages....

BTW..I totally agree with you about 90%.....or even less

bettyfaye
01-07-2007, 02:35 AM
:clap: MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-25-2006/47846_DSC_0018.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION: i think it,s a very good painting and i think mlk would be proud of you. i used to live in clearwater fla. yrs. ago. loved it. now living in ohio. cold. cold here.
Title: A Dream?
Year Created: 2006
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 11x14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
A fun painting for MLK day. It started as realism and took a turn for the worst.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I was wondering how anyone felt about this. How it is percieved and if you think it glorifies or mocks Dr. King.