PDA

View Full Version : Apples in Artrage II

justjean
01-25-2006, 10:12 AM
The new Artrage has layers altho I didn't use them , no tracing paper just painting a few misshapened apples :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2006/36920-apples.jpg

LadyAlba
01-25-2006, 12:32 PM
Turned out great and don't you like how it responds to the tablet now! I seem to get better blending with the oil brush than I did with AR1. ;o)

Chiers
01-25-2006, 01:48 PM
Nice Jean but the color is more like a peach or a nectrine. Did you use the chalk for these? If you have the layers you must have the upgraded version right? Can you tell me if the layers have a transparency setting? I see it also has the ability to load a reference too which is one thing that kept me from using Artrage.
Oh, and can you set the pixels for a new canvas?

justjean
01-25-2006, 03:35 PM
thanks Marge and Sherry, yes things seem to work better Marge :),

Sherry I got the full blown one :) as for the colour I was using a ref from a Cezzane painting and that was the colours or near them that he used. and it is done in oils and palette knife

As for the layers you can add, delete, clear, duplicate, export and merge one or all layers , the only opacity slider that I see is for the opacity of the tracing layer, which I have not used yet and can not see anywhere that you can change the pixel settings ( not to say you can't but I can't see where you could )

all in all I really like it and for 20.00 us you can't go wrong :)

Chiers
01-25-2006, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the info Jean! I went ahead and got the upgrade. I do so love the way the oil brush acts and blends the paint. I think it beats out painter for the feel of the real thing. The only thing I really don't like is the inability to set the ppi. Maybe they will fix that in the near future. I hope!

jhercilia
01-25-2006, 10:37 PM
Sherry, everything you can accomplish in ArtRage can be done in Painter, you just need to change several settings on brushes. I have created a couple of brushes that gives me the look of oils and is like ArtRage's oil paint. Let's see if soon I can paint something with them so that you can see what I mean.

Jean, it seems you are having fun with ArtRage.

PSPertje
01-26-2006, 06:09 AM
I didn't know there was a new version of Art Rage too bad we have purchase it now! Looks like a good improvement on the first one, I tried out the free verson of 2 it looks good.

omniartz
01-26-2006, 11:00 PM
Looking good! Glad you are having fun with AR2! :clap:

TxAggieDarlin
01-27-2006, 10:28 AM
Very nice look/ different from what you usually do............How do you get Artrage? I used to have it...Artrage.com? will try LOL

TxAggieDarlin
01-27-2006, 10:28 AM
Very nice look/ different from what you usually do............How do you get Artrage? I used to have it...Artrage.com? will try LOL

jhercilia
01-27-2006, 11:49 AM
Artrage download:
http://www.ambientdesign.com/artragedown.html

Chiers
01-27-2006, 01:47 PM
Janet, I realize that Painter is very good at replicating oils. That is what sold me on it in the first place but I honestly think Artrage is better! I think it is the simplicity of it that makes it seem ....more....oily. The way Artrage blends wet on wet is so close to real oils that it almost pysically feels the same to my hand. Which of course, I know is all in my head. lol I'm talking about wet on wet, not the palette knife. I just prefer all around the performance of the oil brush from the way it loads paint, to the way it mixes and gets dirty. I also prefer the clean tool to the way it's handled in Painter.

jhercilia
01-27-2006, 08:45 PM
Sherry, I had also tried ArtRage and all that functionality is available also in Painter. You just need to set your brush to behave like that, with the wet on wet, blending with other colors, and even painting with two colors on the brush. I like ArtRage in a way, like you said the blending and wet on wet, but the brushstrokes themselves, to me they resemble more or an acrylic texture than oil. To me a thick brush stroke looks more 'plastic'. That's the only thing I don't like and you can't make changes to the brush. But in Painter I can mimic ArtRage's oil brush look and fee by changing a few setting. So I get both worlds LOL. What I do like a lot about ArtRage's oil brush is the tip of the brush which can get very pointy, thin and rounded.

Chiers
01-27-2006, 09:32 PM
Hi Janet,
I have to disagree about that. I know painter can show brush strokes and mixes wet on wet but there is a difference in the way Artrage does it. I have used Painter for quite a while now and played with all the settings a lot and it just does not perform the same as artrage no matter what. I will add here that the artist oil brushs in psp also are very good and very close to artrage. The problem with psp is that version 9 and 1x are not as responsive and very quirky. I get a lot of drag on semi large files so I just don't often paint with psp any more.

Did you try the new Artrage? If you did you must have missed the new brush settings, ie pressure, thinner, loading. You can adjust the stroke quite a bit with them. I don't see acrylics at all in the Artrage strokes. I am fairly new with real acrylics but none of mine will give me a lucious stroke or paint blend that oils do even with a lot of extenders. I can't say though that acrylics look plastic to me, they just don't have the life that oils have and I always feel like they need to have clear gloss coat on top of them.
Yeah, the only customizing of brush is the size, as far as there is only one shape brush. That's kind of a bummer as you just have to make do. Artrage has a long way to go to get all the bells and whistles that Painter has. For me though, I don't use most of them anyway. LOL, I don't however see me giving up Painter in the near future!

jhercilia
01-27-2006, 09:43 PM
Well, I have the trial version, not the paid version so I haven't tried then what you are saying. The plastic look in acrylics happens when applied thickly without blending. But when blended it looks just as oils. I agree that you have to add some gloss at the end since they dry kind of flat. But once you add the gloss glazing, it will look just like oils.

I know ArtRage had the pressure but not the thinner. I might give it a try. I think ArtRage has a lot of potential. I just wish they would do updates and upgrades more frequently.

fugitive
01-27-2006, 11:12 PM
The new Artrage has layers altho I didn't use them , no tracing paper just painting a few misshapened apples :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2006/36920-apples.jpg

I thot I was gettin' that artrage thing, down, but it's missing a file, and won't run. Nice fruits, tho.