PDA

View Full Version : the face of war

lurkingfatman
01-25-2006, 03:28 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-25-2006/73090_thefaceofwar.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: the face of war
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24 x 36
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
One of a series i painted early last year. You would be surprised how many people didn't even notice she is missing a face...

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'm mostly curious to know if it is proportioned correctly, but any feedback would be helpful.

elaynathepxy
01-25-2006, 04:12 AM
I love this picture. I've ALWAYS enjoyed not putting a face on the person because it could mean that it's anyone! you're colors are beautiful. Nice one!

megsy
01-25-2006, 08:50 AM
It startlingly haunting and yet almost affectionate. I love it.

Zap
01-25-2006, 09:43 AM
I find this painting full of drama and expertly painted. The porportions look good to me. If anything, I would think she would have a more delicate neck since she is so slim.
You have packed a big story into one painting. Well done.

jeff112368
01-25-2006, 09:57 AM
i thinks it is well done.. perhaps a bit too many colors for my taste, but the proportions seem right on. that said, i agree with previous commenter about making the neck a bit more thin/delicate - it would flow better with the curvy shoulders and breastline.

Good job.

-Jeff

jbitzel
01-25-2006, 10:57 AM
I love the way you have introduced colors not only to the background but worked them into the skin as well. I love this one

T Christensen
01-25-2006, 02:23 PM
The proportions are right on....I like the neck as is , it makes her part of the scene like she's pulling herself out of it...TerryC

Corby
01-25-2006, 10:20 PM
the painting is very poignant , it speaks to the loss of husbands and fathers, hence the womans facelessness, because she is every woman who has experienced the loss. I think the fact that she is nude and their is other subtle eroticism, emphasizes the loss of marital intimacies.

Dhuot
01-25-2006, 10:23 PM
It startlingly haunting and yet almost affectionate. I love it.
Nice way to put it :)
I like the compositon. The painting seems almost mythological modern withthe city in the right hand side background.
A tiny bit of different value in her face might make it work better.

The anatomic proportion are really good to my taste, even the large neck dosn't bother me :rolleyes:. I like her shoulders a lot :clap:

Dhuot
01-25-2006, 10:24 PM
oh, I don't get the title, but might not want to know ....

lurkingfatman
01-26-2006, 04:53 PM
oh, I don't get the title, but might not want to know ....

The title actually doesn't have any real signifigance, I just thought it was kind of clever seeing as how she had no face.

Anyway, thank you all for the feedback. I may do some more like this in the future, because I think I'm getting a little burned out on abstracts