PDA

View Full Version : My Red Chair, September, Gulf Islands

glenn payan
01-25-2006, 12:40 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-24-2006/65940_Galiano_the_Chair_where_I_spent_Last_September.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: My Red Chair, September, Gulf Islands
Year Created: 2006
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24x48
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:

Denisey
01-25-2006, 02:34 AM
I really like it. Pardon, though. I can't see the chair.:o
Still, I love the bright fun colors:clap: and the trees are REALLY interesting to me

Zap
01-25-2006, 09:36 AM
Your signature style is amazing to me. In this painting you have everything seemingly being 'blown' out of the picture to the right. Even the water seems to funnel to the right. One expects next, the house will begin to follow. This is what makes the chair still sitting in the upright position so powerful. One would think with the lean of the tree that the chair would have toppled. But you paint it upright. Perhaps I read too much into the painting, but that makes a powerful statement to me. This is very well done. A winner for me.

glenn payan
01-25-2006, 12:03 PM
hey thanks for the comments
Denisey: the chair is just this side of the second tree from the left...it's one of those wooden adinondrak chairs. It is red...way more red than this images lets on.
And you're right Zap the chair has a power that has it standing strong in the face of the elements

cadman
01-25-2006, 12:04 PM
I get the impression of a ship with sails full being blown to the right, but the wind must be blowing to the left and the trees are leaning into the wind.
A wonderful, whimsical picture.

Corby
01-25-2006, 12:51 PM
Hi Glenn! Another winner! In my mind it seems a slight departure. One of the elements that permeates your work and makes it so appealing is the placid timelessness evoked by the images. They now seem to me to be taking on more animation and there are indications of human life. The chair is a major departure and makes a loud statement. There is another aspect to this work that reflects a trueism for artists and art viewers in the western world. We read paintings as we read literature. From left to right. This painting is a graphic example of that. We must visually enter from the left and proceed across the canvas to the right and then the little clump of rocks at the end of the island serves as a period! I thought this was neat. It says the eye stops here!

T Christensen
01-25-2006, 02:12 PM
:rolleyes: .....Look what you did, I want a chair and you know what I'm talkin about! These are the pieces of your paintings that intrigue me and I love..mailboxes, clothelines,swimming pools, etc. . Creating our little space in the world with our comforts. No people, but a sense of their lurking personalities. This one defies all and is determined to be strong to their convictions....whoa, got a little deep.....have to say Glenn, its Lemesurier ;) for sure now. Will this be a print?........TerryC

glenn payan
01-25-2006, 03:16 PM
Terry
Yep, I know what you're talking about. Guess I wasn't quite ready to let this one go...so I made another. Sorry, no prints. Ian Tan has this in his gallery now and someone has taken it on loan already. And nice getting deep there...I like it. The original name of this was "The Chair Where I Spent My September: Gulf Islands": a name that is significant, considering I'm a school teacher and September being when I should be starting yet another school year. The painting is about freedom. Wind. It's about facing life head on and it's likely about the lonliness of the artist too.
Corvus: I really, really appreciate the time you take with my pieces. I value you input tremedously. You show me stuff about how others might read my work that didn't even cross my mind. Thanks.

Denisey
01-26-2006, 03:08 AM
omigawsh! there it is:o

Dantys
01-26-2006, 09:28 AM
Very interesting. I especially like the way the trees sway, giving motion to the entire composition.