PDA

View Full Version : Sketching from TV

DrBrad
01-25-2006, 12:12 AM
A wacky question-- does anyone else enjoy sketching from the TV? It's one of my favorite things to do while watching. Sometimes I do a freeze frame when watching DVD and try for a more developed drawing- but mostly it's just fast casual sketching live. Not quite from life since it's been flattened but not quite the same as from static photos either. We have very large screen TV so that helps a lot! Just wondering!

dlake
01-25-2006, 12:44 AM
usually the television gives me an idea. Like I see a scenery or something that triggers a thought or idea. Then I sketch it out. Ideas are all over.
sometime you'll have to do a picture with the painting's focus on a t.v. screen and some static in it. fun
Diane

Khadres
01-25-2006, 01:06 AM
I've done the freeze frame thing a time or two and have even captured a few screens to keep as source photos. I don't think I'll ever be fast enough to sketch much coherent on the fly, but it is a fun idea! Let's see some of yours!

KJSCL
01-25-2006, 01:12 AM
Nope, I'll sketch while I watch tv but have never sketched anything on the tv

chewie
01-25-2006, 11:43 AM
i also gain ideas from the telie, but also feel i couldn't get a thing down due to speed. how do you go about it? how do you sketch something that is gone in seconds? i would also like to see your sketches!

DrBrad
01-25-2006, 07:27 PM
Actually even tho things come and go quickly- it's surprising how often a show returns to the same scene-- so you do a little-- get your POV shifted-- then get returned. And these are mostly just fast fun things for practice. Often I chuck them but I saved a few and will try to dig some up. Makes me feel like I'm not just wasting time watching TV :-)

dlake
01-25-2006, 07:30 PM
Brad, you hit on a great idea for both sketching exercises and ideas. I think people should try it.
Diane