PDA

View Full Version : Cat - 15 minute sketch

AriadneArts
02-08-2002, 03:03 AM
Just found this forum after I had posted this elsewhere. I received a Rapidograph pen set as a gift today. I sketched my cat, Esmeralda, as she lay beside me in one of her favorite positions. First time I've ever drawn with pen and ink, and first time I've ever even touched a rapidograph pen. But I liked it.....! :p I'd appreciate any comments, hints, tips, etc. Thanks.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2002/Esmeralda_-_ink_sketch.jpg

8.5 x 5.5 Canson 65lb Sketch paper

dnip24
02-09-2002, 05:44 PM
looks beautiful and lovely this kitty sleeping! You are a genius to
make this in 15 minutes!:clap: :clap: :clap:

sassybird
02-09-2002, 07:20 PM
Eileen, rapidographs are great! You will find through experience that using the different sizes can really enhance your drawings. I sometimes use 2-4 sizes in one drawing.

I think that this drawing is a good start towards opening up the medium for you. In using the different sizes you can get the hair looking more natural. Your white areas on the body are a bit too defined. The black hairs should push into the white areas here and there to give the coat body. In the white areas: the paws, tip of the ear, and around the face can be drawn in a 0 or even a 00 size without looking too stiff or drawn in, but still coming across as white. If you do a wash on the background that also would make the cat pop out more.

AriadneArts
02-09-2002, 11:45 PM
Thanks Sass. The smallest point I have says
3x0

That's what it says on the cap. I am totally ignorant re: the sizing. Is that a size 000? Anyway, that's what I used for the entire drawing. I'm not happy with the fur, especially where it meets the white but am afraid of "ruining" it. This pic REALLY looks like my cat. It's only the second sketch I've done of several that really looks like her. I think I will carefully go ahead in and doctor it up--I'd like the black parts blacker, kind of like on her cheek where I cross-hatched. Maybe I'll try a size 00 or 0. Thanks so much for your input. I really need some tips and I appreciate them.

NorahT
02-10-2002, 09:27 AM
I think it is a good sketch of a very natural pose - it stands well just as it is. As you like this one, why not keep it as is and do another - it is all good practice :) :)

artdude
02-10-2002, 02:49 PM
Hi Eileen:
You've done a great job for just a 15 min. sketch. Sass makes some good points about trying different sized pens. Ink work takes a lot of practice and I would suggest working from a photo of your cat so you can take your time and not worry about the cat moving on you. Don't stop sketching though, it's a great way to get familiar with your pens. Thanks for posting :D Hope to see more of your work in this forum :)

AriadneArts
02-11-2002, 01:06 AM
Thanks Norah and ArtDude for your kind comments and thanks to all of you for your excellent suggestions. ArtDude, I'm dusting off my digicam and plan to keep it handy. Guess I'll just fill the reservoirs of all seven pens and keep them handy too.

I did end up messing some more with this one, but think I improved it. I did another layer of black hair and pushed some out into the white parts here and there as Sass suggested. Don't think I ruined it....think it actually looks better. Then, instead of a watercolor wash which would buckle this 65lb sketchpad paper, I fingerpainted a nupastel "wash" in the background--a light layer of sepia followed by a rough over layer of medium gray. And I still like it! Thanks for your help, everyone.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2002/Esmeralda_-_ink_002.jpg

RuthT
02-24-2002, 07:41 PM
This is beautiful Ariadne. You have got the basic position of the cat really well - she is a cutie. :)

I like both versions, but can see the improvements in the second one.

artdude
02-25-2002, 06:18 PM
Lookin' good Eileen :D Great background :) A few more of these and you'll be an old pro at this. It might not seem like it, but the more you do the easier it will be for you using the pen.

AriadneArts
02-25-2002, 09:53 PM
Thanks so much for your generous comments, RuthT and Artdude.

She is a cutie, isn't she, Ruth. She was a year old and starving when she showed up in my backyard and adopted me. Now she's 12!! Her eyes are the greenest I've ever seen in a cat--like emeralds--hence her name. I hope to get a sketch of her with her eyes open sometime.

Artdude, I hope you're right. I love using the pen and hope with practice I'll become proficient. I've always been terribly picky about what pen I write with and always went for the finer points. So this gift from my hubby has unleashed something......I hope it's something worthwhile. LOL