PDA

View Full Version : Call for Canadian Artists!

Lauren F-M
01-24-2006, 01:01 PM
I posted this up on the Portraiture forum, and was advised that I should also post it up here.

I found out about this upcoming show at the AGO (Art Gallery of Ontario, Toronto) in Saturday's 'Globe and Mail.' Also checked out the website, and consolidated the following information. Sounds fun, and open to all ages, many mediums!:clap:
Cheers, Lauren :wave:

"In Your Face" Exhibition -- SEND US A PORTRAIT!
Coming Soon: Opens July 1, 2006
The Art Gallery of Ontario, Toronto, Ontario

Opening July 1, "In Your Face" is an exhibition of portraits collected from the general public to celebrate the individuality and diversity of Canada. Submissions are now being accepted for the exhibition and the Gallery will be entering the completed project for consideration by the Guinness Book of World Records as the largest collection of portraits ever assembled.

Get creative -- draw it, paint it or write it. Your work will join thousands of others in what could be the largest presentation of portraits in the world! Submit your original works of art by June 1 to be a part of "In Your Face" -- an exhibition opening July 1, 2006.

For the first time in the Gallery's history the AGO is launching an exhibition created entirely by the public.

One of the AGO's initiatives as part of Toronto's 'Live with Culture' celebration this year, "In Your Face" will allow everyone to become a creative part of the Gallery's future. In addition to external submissions, visitors can experiment with portrait-making in the Gallery and take part in interactive artists' demonstrations.

In Your Face is the AGO's contribution to Toronto as part of the 'Live with Culture' program.

Submissions:
Send your postcard-size portrait (4" x 6"), including the following statement and information:

Statement:
"I declare that I am the sole legal owner of this work. I grant the AGO permission to exhibit it in the "in Your Face" exhibition, opening July 1, 2006. I also declare that the subject in the portrait is in agreement with this submission. I further understand that this work will become part of the AGO archival holdings."

Include the following information:
Name of artist (please print)
Signature of artist
Signature of Guardian (if artist is under 18)
Contact information and date

Mail to:
In Your Face
Art Gallery of Ontario
317 Dundas St. W.
Toronto, ON
M5T 1G4

Info from website:
www.ago.net/exhibitions/in-your-face

Terry Lynn
01-24-2006, 09:45 PM
I saw this today...looks interesting

mr sandbanx
01-25-2006, 01:01 AM
cool.

thanks

Dhuot
01-25-2006, 11:14 PM
I will
Thanks, cause I had no Idea it was :clap:

Innovation :)

gordoiye
02-09-2006, 07:35 PM
i saw a poster at the burlington art centre, but i was in too much of a hurry to stop and read - thanks for the info!

cheers,
gord

LangdonArt
02-11-2006, 11:15 PM
Merci! Yes, thanks. Am also organising exhibitions; so email: [email protected] mentionning wetcanvas, and include jpg image low force, plus describe bit your art, please.
www.franco.ca/langdonart1

Edit: PM'd to request medium so this can be moved to appropriate forum.

Clarkie
04-04-2006, 11:49 PM
Cool. Thanx for the head's up.

karen m
05-22-2006, 11:46 AM
I am just wondering if anyone here has submitted any questions to AGO about this exhibition using the link on the application form. I completed a digital image portrait of my grandson very shortly after I saw this notice. My impression from the original posting was that 'anything goes' as far as acceptable media. However, wanted to clarify and have twice sent enquiries with a verifying e-mail that my questions had been received and would be addressed soon. Still waiting. :(

For some reason I also thought the deadline was June lst, but now cannot find any indication other than that the work would need to be there for July lst.

I am about to send the digital piece, as I've shown in to my grandson and he is thrilled to be included. If I could verify what they actually want, I would take the time right away to do something non-digital.

Any help on this from anyone out there who may be involved? Much appreciated.

blumoon
05-22-2006, 02:26 PM
I am working on one self portrait for this. My Mom sent her self-portrait in already, she did hers in fiber-art, so I would imagine, anything goes, as long as the size is correct. If I am not mistaken, I think the deadline is the end of May. I plan to have mine in by then anyway.:thumbsup:

karen m
05-22-2006, 02:56 PM
I am working on one self portrait for this. My Mom sent her self-portrait in already, she did hers in fiber-art, so I would imagine, anything goes, as long as the size is correct. If I am not mistaken, I think the deadline is the end of May. I plan to have mine in by then anyway.:thumbsup:

Thanks...great! Guess I had better get moving, get the release signed, etc. I wonder if those of us who can't make it to the exibition will actually have a way to see the end result. Would be fun.

Maybe...after Canada Day, those of us who have submitted could at least post a pic here of the things we've submitted. You think? :D

Crystalline174
05-29-2006, 10:54 PM
The AGO has a blog (http://www.artmatters.ca/blog/index.php?/archives/41-AGO-Invites-Public-to-Get-Creative-with-In-Your-Face!.html) for this topic.

They've updated the dates on the AGO website. I thought I was seeing things. I knew I saw a June 1st deadline before, but now it says Dec 1st.

Here's a snippet from that blog:

The In Your Face project has an initial deadline of June 1 2006. However since the installation will open on July 1 and be up for over a year, submissions will continue to be accepted throughout the year. Relief work and collage will definitely be accepted although we will probably be using 2-3"deep shelves to display the portraits and thus the relief shouldn't extend beyond that measurement.

#1.1 David Wistow on 2006-02-01 15:16 (Reply)

karen m
05-29-2006, 11:14 PM
Hi Michelle:wave:
Thank you for the information. I hadn't realized there was a blog associated with AGO.

A little update....sent my submission (digital portrait of my grandson) so that it would arrive by June 1st. Included a covering letter explaining that I hadn't received any responses to my e-mails but hoped the submission would be fine.

Just a few days letter got an apology and a 'go' on the work. Which made both me and my grandson very happy! :clap: :clap:

Hadn't realized either that the portrait would be on display for such a long time. Which means I can get to see the entire thing when visiting To. in November for the Toronto International Art Fair. Yes!!!! :thumbsup:

Bookmarking the blog now, too. Thanks again.

sks
07-20-2006, 09:41 AM
Just to update the AGO "In Your face" project .... The show opened July 1st but not all artwork is on display. Myself and a few of my art friends sent our art in way back in May and someone went down last week to look at the art and none of ours was on display. According to the gallery..... "not all work will be displayed probably til Nov." ... also... they have extended the deadline to Dec. of this year.
Very disappointing as we were lead to believe that our work would be on display - my friend said that one person had 6 portraits up.:mad: :mad:

skipstah70
07-24-2006, 01:04 AM
I sent mine in (a photo of it)... but never heard back. Do they even let you know if you were/weren't chosen for the exhibition? So in that case.. I'll just exhibit it here!! hope ya like... an oil sketch from life about 3hs..

Skips

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/969/headpaint1fy3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Crystalline174
07-25-2006, 07:28 PM
Great portrait, skips! :clap:

You won't hear back from them at all. I wish I could remember if I saw yours or not when I visited the AGO last Sunday. There were hundreds of portraits up on the wall and a handful or so were in some glass cases.

I submitted my portrait in late May and my self-portrait was there (the one on my avatar).

blumoon, was your mom's portrait the one that was done in stitches? I saw an amazing portrait of a woman where instead of drawing, the artist stitched the portrait instead. It was in the glass case.

I was somewhat disappointed with way most of the portraits were displayed. It looks more like a classroom exhibit rather than an art gallery exhibit -- just a bunch of boards wallpapered with many many portraits. I thought they'd be able to put it together into a more professional-looking display. They mentioned shelves in the "art matters" blog, so I expected to see shelves, but there weren't any shelves at all.

sks, did you scan/take a photo of the portrait you submitted? If you did, would you mind posting it? I'm dying to know what it looks like! :)