PDA

View Full Version : RISD advice please...

NW3482
01-23-2006, 08:12 PM
how hard is it to get accepted to RISD? does it differ from major to major? i'm ooking into the film/video/ animation.....anyone who has risd info give me a holler

colinpage
01-24-2006, 06:23 PM
I went to RISD about 10 years ago for my Freshman and Sophmore years before transferring elsewhere. Despite the fact that I left, I really did enjoy my experience there.
In terms of getting accepted there, I don't know any secrets. I think its a little difficult to get into because it's got such a good name that alot of people apply. However, once I was there I was surprised to see a wide variety in the amount of talent/skill. My guess at what they are looking for is the potential they can see in you as an artist, and a good work ethic. My impression is that they can get a sense of your work ethic from how much time you put into the home-test. (when I applied it was 3 drawings; a bike, an interior, and one of my choice).
If your'e serious about becoming an artist/animator and you like RISD then go for it. If you don't get in, have other places in mind as back ups. Good luck

NW3482
01-26-2006, 08:55 AM
thanks man....can someone tell me how to go about making a GOOD portfolio please

Axl
01-26-2006, 10:36 AM
Actually if you use the Search function, searching this forum alone you'll find a lot of information about portfolio developing.

dguy
01-27-2006, 06:25 AM
I hope you are not planning to apply to RISD for this fall. Because the deadline is Feb 15. It doesn't seem like you have a porfolio ready, and that can take months if you do it right. Plus they want you to send them slides, which you have to find a store that does slides, which only a few store does it now a day, and it takes them a couple of days to develop them. So making slides prob will take you a whole week. That means you only have like a few days for drawing the things they ask for, and compile a portfolio from your existing works.

My suggestion would be to apply for fall 2007, and take this year to learn more about the school, and put together a very polish portfolio. I don't know how hard it is to get into RISD, but considering it is the number 1 ranked art school in the country, you got to think that it is competitive.

oneima9
02-22-2006, 03:50 PM
its not too bad as long as you can be pretty well rounded--they like that. there is a home test involved in the application. I applied and got in last year, but i decided to go to MICA instead. scholarship is very hard to get. and in the hometest they are typically looking for strong foundation and basic skill. they want 3 drawings and my advice is that you should work quite hard on them. last year they asked for a bike, an interior space, and a drawing of your choice. they all had to be one specific size and then folded very specifically in to quarters. and you won't get them back. they also do look at you're highschool grades a bit more than other art schools...they like smart kids. but i decided not to go there because they don't seem too friendly, i've heard they are quite snobby and MICA is more down to earth (but thats another story entirely). anyways...thats about what i can tell ya...good luck