PDA

View Full Version : First time poster-Poodle acrylic WIP

Lisa K
01-23-2006, 04:22 PM
Long time lurker; first time poster. I am amazed at everyone's talent and I am finally feeling courageous enough to post one of my own. I am not even sure if I am posting my images right. Oh, well.
Subject is my friend's dog and I am finally getting paid cold, hard cash for a painting. No bartering or trading. I would appreciate any help or comments as I found the dog difficult to paint because he is all black.

Acrylic, 10x14 on canvas.

Thank you

jody007
01-23-2006, 05:25 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lisa,

:wave: First of all I would like too welcome too the zoo!
Now for that beautiful painting I think you did a lovely job!
I hope too see more of your work!

Jody:D

bizzy_vicki
01-23-2006, 06:15 PM
hi and welcome!! i like your poodle portrait, black is something i try to avoid at all times, it can be so difficult!! however, i think you've done a good job in portraying his lovely glossy black curls.
looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Dawn Melka
01-23-2006, 06:32 PM
Good Job, feels nice to get paid for something you love to do!

I have painted a lot of black animals, dogs and horses, its not easy When I first looked at it I loved it but then my eye kept going to his right eye.. It looks just like your reference but sometimes when you work from photos you need to tweak it a bit. I think I might soften it a little, maybe lesson the white in the back corner. Not sure if thatís it but..... play around with it.
Hope that is helpful, really nice job!! :clap: :clap:

momof6
01-24-2006, 01:54 PM
Well done on that black coat! Seems you've mastered it!

I think you have improved the expression on this poodle's face over the reference. I'd suggest than you add some dark shadows IN the eye - especially around the top and near the eye lids/rims. It will make the eye look more ball shaped (rather than flat) and will just soften the expression a bit more.

Glad you got the courage to post! Welcome!

Lisa K
01-24-2006, 04:10 PM
Thanks everyone for your feedback! I am going to start working on your suggestions!

cyber_holic
01-24-2006, 05:57 PM
WELCOME! WELCOME! Great to meet you :D :D ! :wave: This is beautiful, I hope to see more of your work soon :D :clap::clap::clap:

slaterza
01-24-2006, 10:22 PM
Welcome to the zoo. :D I am glad that you decided to post this. You have done a great job in two regards. One with poodle fur which is not easy at all and secondly with black fur again not an easy task. So glad you decided to show us. I hope to see more of your work here in the zoo.

Karin Skold
01-25-2006, 03:53 AM
Hi,
Thanks for posting a poodle !
It looks really great with the black curly fur.
I have a black Poodle. And I have just asked people in the Soft pastel forum for help to paint her..:)
And here you posted a very nice Poodle.

Great work !

Karin