PDA

View Full Version : Color Reduction

Cabal
02-07-2002, 11:49 PM
can someone please explain color reduction in lithography?

sassybird
02-09-2002, 06:57 PM
Cabal, I have never heard of color reduction in lithography. The artists that I watched sanded their stones between colors or used different stones to do their multicolor work. I looked in the books I have, and I was unable to find anything about what you are asking about.

Cabal
02-10-2002, 03:51 PM
i'm taking junior level lithography at my art school and at this point we get to learn the process of color lithography. we're suppose to cover the image area asphaltum after gumming out the borders and dry roll ink onto that. then after washing out the surroundng gum layer around the inked image area we roll up the image area with ink and sponge it until we achieve a flat black surface. to know whether or not you have a flat black you test print it with newsprint. at this point you scrape away the areas on the black inked surface that the lightest color of the image will be. then you roll up the entire image with that first light color and spot etch the area that color is suppose to be. the thing that i don't understand is why would you scrape away the one area that the first color is supposed to be??? i'm supposed to have my first color printed on my edition of fifteen prints by tuesday! i'm lost! do any advanced printmakers know what i'm talking about?

sassybird
02-13-2002, 05:18 PM
Cabal, that is interesting. Will you scan your fact sheet from class and email it to me?

Cabal
02-22-2002, 07:27 PM
I don't have a fact sheet for this process but if i get ahold of one i'll make sure to send it to you... i figured out this process by the way... big relief

sassybird
02-26-2002, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Cabal
I don't have a fact sheet for this process but if i get ahold of one i'll make sure to send it to you... i figured out this process by the way... big relief

Well, share the info, buddy! lol And tell you prof he needs to be handing out fact (cheat) sheets to help you folks along when he isn't around.

I know I spent many many many hours in the studio after hours, sometimes til late morning. No one was around but a few other students as crazy as I was. I think our prof thought some of us where living there......lol He found a few of us asleep on top of the tables on more than one morning.