GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Young woman with book
Year Created: 2006
Medium: Pencil
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 30x24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Interested in subjective effect of drawing. From looking at it so much, I've lost all ability to judge it.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Crits welcome.

Constellation
01-23-2006, 02:53 PM
Hi Herb.....this is such a pleasant drawing... it looks almost sculpted. You've captured her look and the calm way she has of sitting and reading. I think her hair and the drapes behing her could be more convincingly drawn, they do not have as real a look as her face does and are somewhat distracting. I also think a few hi-lights in her eyes and on her face would make the drawing more alive. It's very appealing... and well done.... but the dark area behind her attracts the eyes more than her face does and could be softened while bringing more darks and hi-lights to her hair and facial features will make her the focal point. as she should be. Good drawing, though, and well arranged. Donna

01-24-2006, 03:43 AM
Fine work, I fully agree with Constellation. But do you think the left eye of the woman needs some more attention.

Corby
01-24-2006, 01:24 PM
My initial reaction to this was one of mild surprise as I have not ever before encountered a drawing that had the feeling of an impressionist painting. It has to do I think with the wavering light,line,and texture. As such I dont find it particularly effective. It transmits a certain feeling of un-surity to me. If I squint my eyes it becomes very beautiful. As the textures and wavery line and so forth all coalesce into a cohesive beautiful work. Constellations points are also well spoken I think.

hward
01-25-2006, 10:26 AM
... a drawing that had the feeling of an impressionist painting. It has to do I think with the wavering light,line,and texture.

Thanks for the comment. I think I see what you mean.

Renoir and Manet are my favorite painters, and your comment (above), taken somewhat out of context, gives me cause for a minor celebration.

More seriously, I'll try to absorb your ideas. Thanks.

Corby
01-25-2006, 10:25 PM
quick note in reply: My favorite artists as well! maybe add Monet.

megsy
01-26-2006, 01:17 AM
Please don't change a thing in this drawing I shall explain later.Impressionism is spot on. Do not change the left eye I'll explain.

Yes coryuskorax ....Monet knew human sight.