PDA

View Full Version : Seeing shapes!!!!!! Photos later

Bill Foehringer
01-23-2006, 12:06 PM
I went out in the snow yesterday determined to see and paint shapes. I did it! I didn't do well but I did it. It's like riding that tired old bike analogy. Once you feel the 'balance' then you can begin to ride even if you fall a few times. When you see the terrible paintings I did you may wonder what all my excitement is about but I did begin to see shapes instead of objects. Because I was still also painting objects the results were a mish-mash but I just had a taste of it. Another analogy. Last year I tried to learn how to kite board. I could fly the kite and after a while I was beginning to fly it instinctively without looking at it but I could not get up on the board because I just could not feel the 'edge' of the board in the water. I would either skip over the water and land on my face or dig too deep and end up on my back soon to be pulled over onto my nose by the kite. I had some spectacular crashes, (the fun kind). This 'seeing shapes' reminds me of trying to feel the edge of the board.
Another and most apt analogy is that of seeing the image hidden in a seemingly random pattern. The kind that you hold close to your face and then 'see' the image appear as you move the paper away and keep your eyes focussed close??? It's like that, seeing the subject as a flat two-dimensional jigsaw of shapes that looks three dimensional when painted well.
I'll post them later tonight, just had to post this now, BillF

dlake
01-23-2006, 12:13 PM
Bill,
Holding hand to face - the colors, the pretty colors. lol
Seriously, it's really cool when you do that. It's like looking at clouds and seeing things in them. Getting in touch and seeing things in an art way. Like what my teacher is telling us. See things that others don't. Even the colors. the colors inside. really cool. I'm going to have to tell my art teacher about what you did.
Diane

Khadres
01-23-2006, 02:25 PM
New Years epiphany, eh? Very cool. Congrats!

BTW, your kite boarding story reminds me of my one and only experience at trying to water ski....No matter how many times I ditched I could NOT learn to let GO of the rope! Had blisters on top of blisters and never did get on my feet more than a split second!

Deborah Secor
01-23-2006, 07:55 PM
seeing the subject as a flat two-dimensional jigsaw of shapes that looks three dimensional when painted well.

BINGO! Yep--that's it! Those shapes are determined by values.... big dark oval, large medium triangle, small light round shapes...etc. etc.--right???

Pretty soon it will be more like driving your car, when you suddenly realize you're at a stoplight and you have no real memory of negotiating the freeway, yet you did a fine job of it (presumably!) That's all about spatial relationships, too.

Deborah