PDA

View Full Version : Lizard

seejay
02-07-2002, 10:04 PM
Hi everyone,

Here is a favourite picture of mine. Its done with some sort of ink marker, about A4 in size. I used hatching for the background and on the tree, and the lizard was a bunch of "pointy circles" with shading, etc. The darks in the tree bark are probably over done, but aren't as bad as in this picture.

I apologise for the poor quality of the image, I had to photograph it (non-reflective glass didn't help, I think) and then scan it.

I hope you can still see it well enough.

Chris

kitaye
02-09-2002, 12:37 AM
I love this little guy. I used to live inFlorida and this lizaed reminds me of the "Tree Lizards" we had down there. They used to blend right into the dark rough bark of the scrub oaks. I used to spend hours watching, chasing, and playing with them. Thanks for a fond memory.

sassybird
02-09-2002, 07:23 PM
Chris, I like the way the lizard blends into the tree bark also. One thing that bothers my eye a bit is the fading out. I imagine this might be from the scan, but I would really like to see the piece without that glare/fade out. Your texture in the wood and the lizard are wonderful. I love drawing and painting textures, tree bark in particular. It just makes me want to reach out and touch it:D

NorahT
02-10-2002, 09:23 AM
Great textures and interesting subject - I can see why it is one of your favourites :)

artdude
02-10-2002, 02:57 PM
Chris, AMAZING piece of ink art!! :clap: I think your values are just right. Too bad about having to photgraph this and then scan it. A sharper image would surely be benificial to viewing this piece. Maybe you can do a few close ups to show a bit more detail on the tree, background or lizard??

PS: What size is A4??

seejay
02-10-2002, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

There are some serious problems with the scanned image as you see it here. I apologise again.

I will endeavour to get a better one, with close up details, if possible. When I do, I'll post it again.

sassybird - yes, the scan is the problem. I got a highly commended in a local art show, and the judge also liked the camouflaged effect of the lizard and bark. I must say it turned out much better than I thought it would when I started. I wasn't sure what marks to use for the lizard initially.... I think it was a lucky accident!

kitaye - our little dog likes annoying these lizards, which live in out yard. Once they get over a foot long they can bluff him tho', and he leaves them alone. :)

artdude - A4 is 210 x 297 millimetres, or 8.27 x 11.69 inches, according to ISO standards for paper sizes.

Cheers, Chris

Christie
02-12-2002, 11:53 AM
I love the detail you have captured! You must have an amazing amount of patience!

seejay
02-12-2002, 09:23 PM
Christie,

Glad you liked the picture!

I don't know if I have the patience to do another one!:D

Cheers, Chris

Surfinia
02-18-2002, 07:31 AM
This is a very good piece. I, too, love texture, although I haven't the skill yet to do the fine job you have done here. Everything looks so real. Very well done.

Artdude - think of 4A as a little smaller than 8-1/2 x 11" paper. It's the office size paper of everywhere else but the USA.

seejay
02-18-2002, 09:38 PM
Hi Surfinia,

Thanks very much for your kind comments.

This is one of my favourite pictures I have hanging on the wall - some of my detailed graphite drawings are starting to look boring, but this one keeps on keeping on....it may be the texture of the marks, the fact that a pen & ink drawing just can't be 'smoothed out' ??

Cheers, Chris

AriadneArts
02-20-2002, 11:12 PM
What a fine piece of work this is! Your textures are amazing, you've got the "camouflage" effect down, yet clearly, there's a lizard on a tree. Very nice!

seejay
02-21-2002, 06:25 AM
Thanks very much Eileen!

Chris

RuthT
02-28-2002, 02:57 AM
I like the little lizard, and the bark of the tree is fantastic. Really interesting pen work, no wonder you don't get bored with it. :)

seejay
03-01-2002, 05:35 AM
Ruth,

Thank you, glad you like it too.

Cheers, Chris