PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Sketch Thread January 23 - 29

Paula Ford
01-23-2006, 06:41 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Thank you Sooz!! Last week's sketches were wonderful!!

Hello Artists!

The Weekly Pastel Sketch thread is for ALL pastelists, whether you are using soft or hard pastels, oil pastels, or pastel pencils. This thread is for ALL skill levels.

The idea is to fit some sketching time into your week by completing a sketch in one hour or less. You can sketch anything, whether it be from life or photos.

You can sketch for 5 minutes, or up to an hour, itís up to you. It's a good idea to time your sketch, keeping it within 60 minutes. You know how time flies when youíre creating! So, get your pastels out, set a timer, and when your time is up, please post your sketches here and share your efforts with us!!

We had a wonderful week last week
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319831
Please visit the Image Library to see hundreds of great photos! http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/

Have LOTS of fun and I look forward to seeing all of your sketches!!

JamieWG
01-23-2006, 07:42 AM
***Yawn*** http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jan-2006/13766-sleeping.gif

OMG, Paula, aren't you up early!!!

'Hope to get in a dusty sketch or two this week. ;)

Jamie

saphyre arabian
01-23-2006, 03:46 PM
this piece isn't brand new, but it is very recent. i haven't been doing pastels for very long, but i sure am hooked on them!

diana
www.saphyrearabianart.com
www.saphyrearabianart.artspan.com

Paula Ford
01-23-2006, 09:44 PM
***Yawn*** http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jan-2006/13766-sleeping.gif

OMG, Paula, aren't you up early!!!

'Hope to get in a dusty sketch or two this week. ;)

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

I don't sleep until Friday night and then I don't wake up until Sunday morning :D You know how corporate America is!

Hope so too! My pastels are lonely. Haven't visited them in 2 weeks!

Beautiful horse Diana! What kind of pastels do you use? What size is it? Did it take you an hour??

Paula

dlake
01-24-2006, 12:39 AM
Paula, what do you do in the coorporate world, It does sound brutal. Many many hours. Business is brutal.
You need to visit your lonely pastels and let them know you care-lol.
Besides, I miss your beautiful paintings.
Diane

Khadres
01-24-2006, 12:48 AM
I do not miss the corporate at ALL. As far as I'm concerned business is the antithesis of creativity and art. That sounds pompous enough, dunnit? But it's true and if your office is full of back-biting slackers to boot, I really do feel for ya! YES>..rattle thos sticks a little, you'll feel sooooooo much better!

saphyre arabian
01-24-2006, 02:02 AM
the horse is an 8x10 and it is done in soft pastels and some pastel pencil. it did take about an hour. i like pastels cos i can get the results i want in less time. i do horses alot and i'm sending a piece to kentucky this year as a contributing artist to the egyptian event for the pyramid society. i've tried other subjects, but horses just seem to be my thing.:rolleyes:

diana

Paula Ford
01-24-2006, 10:15 PM
Diane, I manage an engineering office with 25 engineers and work tons of hours. Sooz, you're right! I have one other woman who works for me (though I tell all the engineers that I rule them too :D and they believe me) and she is nothing but a back-stabbing witch, slacker.... She is a constant pain in my butt and I'm getting ready to fire her for making my life a living *ell every single day.

:evil: :evil: Stress?? Did somebody say stress??? ME, NO NOT ME :evil: :evil:

:eek: Sorry, lost my mind there for a minute.

Back to pastels. Thank you Diane for your sweet comment. I really hope to paint some next weekend or next week (after I get some temporary help in the office).

Diana, An hour you did that? Do you paint from photos?

Paula

saphyre arabian
01-25-2006, 02:00 AM
i take alot of photos and have a lot of magazine pictures, books, etc. and they are used for reference, but seldom look like the picture by the time i get through doing what i think would make it look better.:wink2: so yeah, about an hour, most of them haven't been done with a reference picture, horses are just something that my hand just seems to do more often than anything else. lol it has a mind of it's own! :eek:

diana

scall0way
01-25-2006, 10:37 AM
Lovely horse picture. I've always loved horses. I've remarked here that when I was a kid I drew all the time, as many of us did. In my case what I drew was HORSES. That was essentially all I ever drew, LOL. Sometimes a person leading or riding the horse, sometime a treee or something as background. :)

These days I'm trying to do all sorts of things and it's fun. I have had no time for sketches lately. Only art work in the last couple weeks has been in my art classes and they are more struggle than fun. But I keep hoping to find time for something fun, and will certainly post it here if I do. I hear ya about that whole corporate thing though. Darn work sure does have a way of interfering with the stuff I really want to do. :D

Tatijana
01-25-2006, 11:10 AM
hi:wave:
i'm relatively new to wetcanvas, have made a few remarks in the past several weeks under takyak/tj, but refrained from posting a painting until i changed my username( after realizing how everybody would pronounce takyak -had chosen that on spur of the moment to lurk in the forum).
Attached is a little painting on a 5x7 pastelbord done with GAs and sennneliers.
tjhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2006/65872-P1010080.JPG
my apologies about my photographic abilities

Paula Ford
01-25-2006, 01:15 PM
tj, What a lovely landscape. I'm so glad you joined us!

Paula

E-J
01-26-2006, 01:19 PM
Diana, nice work for an hour. Tatijana, I like your blues and greens!

This hibiscus is 8 x 8.5" on black paper. Thanks to whoever posted the wonderful macro shot to the Image Library!

It's an hour's worth and I didn't bother drawing it out first - this was a "for fun" thing, simply because I hadn't touched my pastels this week and felt the need for some bright colour after the creams and browns of my recent dog portrait.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jan-2006/13865-hibiscus260106.jpg

E-J
01-26-2006, 01:19 PM
Oops, my post showed up twice. I'm just deleting the duplicate.

Khadres
01-26-2006, 02:02 PM
Wow! You DID find some great colors! Wonderful wake-up image! Love it!

khemosabi2
01-26-2006, 03:43 PM
Hi all! I don't think I'll be getting to any sketches this week...it is already Thursday! Maybe next week...

Gotta love the corporate world, Paula. Sometimes I truly wonder why I got a degree in Business Management. Should of taken the art classes!

I like the horse, Diana. Not bad for only an hour of work! I, too, often paint horses. I posted my latest under the title "Two Horses" over in Soft Pastels. It's still a work in progress...almost done though! That's interesting about the Eqyptian Event taking donations. I just surfed their site...it doesn't seem like you have to have any qualifications to donate. There were a lot of great Arabian artists like Mary Haggard (love her work) that donated last year. I'll have to look into that more. :)

I love your little landscape, TJ! I could never paint that small. :eek: Needless to say, I haven't done any art cards for that reason.

E-J, I know the feeling of just wanting to do something in color!!! I'm always trying to sneak color into pet portraits....brown is boring. I love your hibiscus.

~Jessa

jerseybarb
01-26-2006, 06:42 PM
That landscape is so peaceful, and the flowers are so active (If flowers can be active lol)

First one here, I just wanted to do happy flowers, like explosions

Second one, poppies, a little more serious

Third one, more playing around with ink and pastels, I did this free hand, so the arches are a little off But I like the effect I'm getting

Bill Foehringer
01-26-2006, 10:42 PM
I did this last Sunday. The sun had just dipped below the horizon. I waited for this to happen because the color after the sunset has been the best. I started in too soon (unknowingly) tho and commited to the color I saw thinking that this was all the color I would see that evening. Sorry for the inaccurate draftsmenship. As I was walking home I saw the sky light up beautifully in deep rich pinkish orange against purple clouds and deep blue sky, Oh well. More patience next time.
Sunset on South Street Pastel 14x11 on Wallis Museum about 20min sketch.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jan-2006/51770-Sunset_on_South_Street.jpg

Detail
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jan-2006/51770-Sunset_on_South_Street_Detail.jpg

Sorry also about ther blurry detal shot. Kinda defeats the purpose.

I did this painting for two reasons: to catch the sunset and to paint shapes.
BillF

Khadres
01-26-2006, 11:59 PM
Lovely work, Bill! You've captured that snowy street perfectly! Love it! I know what you mean about the fleeting colors at sunset....ya gotta BE there at just the right split second and READY or it's gone! Better luck next time, but you did a bang up job on the shapes of the house and that SNOWY street...gives me the shivers lookin' at it!