PDA

View Full Version : Girl In Fall Forest

jeff112368
01-22-2006, 09:27 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-22-2006/75153_girl_in_fall_forest_small.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-22-2006/75153_closeup1.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Girl In Fall Forest
Year Created: 2006
Medium: Digital
Surface: Computer
Dimension: 4000 x 3000 pixels
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
My first work where I was going for a more expressive feel. I started with a pen drawing where I constructed the figure with ovals only (something I wanted to try). I scanned the pen drawing into my computer and used Photoshop CS2 and an old Wacom ArtZII tablet.

This is a finished piece... I wanted it to be rough with a good compostion..something you could perhaps hang on the wall.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
All comments are welcome. Mainly, I'd like to know if its pleasing to the eye (as this is intended as decorative art).

Valri Ary
01-23-2006, 12:07 AM
I like it but I wonder why you left the 'rough lines' showing? So much of it looks finished and then there are those lines that jump out and scream "I'M HERE!!!"
But for my eye it is pleasing as an overall composition. But lose the lines and I'd like it that much more.

Aludien
01-23-2006, 08:00 AM
I like the sketchy lines, gives it a rough feeling rather than a sweetie soft one. I always enjoy being able to see how the artist has done her work, in the pictures where it suits as a finnished piece. I think it does here. It's very pleasing to the eye and I'd like it up on my wall. I would perhaps lighten the shoulder lines just abit, since they seem stronger than the other lines. I'd also work a bit more on her eyes, to make it look more alive, you add a highlight in the iris and sometimes let it spread into the pupil, if you want extremely sweetie glittering eyes you add two. Like in manga I suppose. I'd also highlight the blues somewhere, a lighter blue in her right eye on the bottom left, where you've used a brighter white, I'd also put in a lighter blue, so the iris gets more shape.
Nice work! :)

Dantys
01-23-2006, 11:05 AM
I think the contrast between finished and unfinished lines works. Yes it is pleasing to the eye -- but I am very distracted by the overly defined breasts in the very center of the comp. (maybe its just my personal view?). Everything else moving around the figure is successful. Nice job.

jeff112368
01-23-2006, 05:17 PM
hey all, thanks for the comments/suggestions! I appreciate all the feedback. Yeh I intentionally left in the rough drawing lines, because I've often felt that the 'sketch' is more of a piece of art than the finished product in some cases... so I tried to combine the two :) The eye do need some work... I tweak it a bit. I had reflections in the irises initially but removed them as I made it feel shiny whereas the rest of the image is flat and with subtle hilighting. Alas, yes, the breasts... I did find them distraction to be in the center of the comosition myself. I added the 'right scarf' over the breast on the right side, but I s'pose even the left side is a bit overbearing. I'll see what I can.

Thanks!
Jeff.

Denisey
01-24-2006, 02:51 AM
personally, i think it's crazy cool!:clap:
i like that you left the sketch lines--it's interesting
and since so many people erase them or cover them, i'd say this is unique

i like the coloring.